• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim Qual

NapalmRat

What is the swim qual for API? I've been reading all the CWS quals but it doesn't talk about API there. In what strokes can you swim the 1 mile swim? Can I just flop on my back and cruise along for 79 min?
If I fail do they say "Well, have fun on the ground as a [Enter MC's needs here] officer"?

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Run a search. I know this has been done to death.

There's several quals you have to meet, but it's a pretty reasonable ramp-up in intensity. Initially they're just figuring out if you can actually swim well enough to keep going; if not, you'll get pulled out of class and they'll work on you until you are ready. If you get tagged for not swimming well later on they'll give you extra instruction after your last class, which can suck.

First day is just a length of each of the four strokes (breast, side, modified back, and crawl); second day is the same thing with flight suit, I think, then they just start working on distance so you get better at each of the strokes. You'll jump off a 12' or so tower in the abandon ship position wearing flight suit and boots and swim underwater for 20 yards (?) or so. You'll practice using the survival equipment, and finally do a mile swim in flight suit using any stroke you want. I haven't heard of anyone actually failing the damn thing, and we had some pretty weak swimmers; I would not worry about it.

four o two

None
On the mile swim, I think the only stroke you can't do is the backstroke. I'll check with my roommates to clarify...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yea, no backstroke on the mile. And be sure to wear an undershirt and goggles. Youll either chaff or youll end up doing the sidestroke due to no goggles. Good things.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
or youll end up doing the sidestroke due to no goggles. Good things.

My personal stroke of choice (I know, I can see it coming), would be the sidestroke, and I've heard on certain PRTs you are required to do only that. My question is, is the mile swim timed or pass/fail?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My personal stroke of choice (I know, I can see it coming), would be the sidestroke, and I've heard on certain PRTs you are required to do only that. My question is, is the mile swim timed or pass/fail?

Both. It's timed. If you get in in the amount of time, you pass, no score. The time is ridiculously long. And yes, you can wear goggles.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I liked breaststroke better (no pun intended), then the crawl around the slow guys trying to kick me in the face.

WEGL

I help out with these several times a week.... survival pool stash. You can use either the side stroke, breast stroke, or crawl. Some people prefer the breast stroke, but the guys doing the side stroke seem to cruise and have an easier time of it. Speed demons use the crawl of course, but unless you're going for the record (23min I think) what's the point? You're allowed 80 minutes. I've yet to see anyone go over 65. Average is a little over 50. If you're not drowning within the first 10 minutes you'll be fine, it's just boring. You can and I'd suggest wearing goggles. It's definitely nothing to sweat. Don't be a douche and be cool with your lap counter... ;) could get you done quicker... Hope this helps.

Ace_Austin

pilot
The swimming at API was the only worry I ever had about it. I've had most of the short range stuff already in Ocean Survival class at school. But I'm not a strong distance swimmer by anyones standards. Thanks.