• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWF seeking Females fresh out of OCS (for advice)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey I was wondering if there are any females who have graduated from OCS within the last 6 months to a year.....do you still have to get your hair cut to the bottom of your uniform collar if it is long enough to secure it in a bun .... If I bring a prescription from my military doctor for oral contraceptives....I'm obviously not worried about pregnancy .... I am worried about my body going through withdrawals and/or hormonal changes....Can you wear contacts at OCS or only after you officially become a Candidate Officer?....
What w/ all these weighty questions:

I ..... weep .... for .... the .... future .... of ..... Naval ..... Aviation.

I'm so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o glad I'm not in anymore ... as I wouldn't make it.

Nor would I want to ...
:) .... mebbe I'd go to work on Wall St. ???

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, Mrs Fester went through OCS in '02 and says she has no idea what y'all are talking about with the Pill. She said they'd refill your prescription if you had it, but no one forced them on anyone.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is probably waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much TMI for yall, but they're probably making it readily available so you can better manage your period, not for pregnancy. When you get stressed out and/or are physically exerting yourself, your cycle gets all sorts of messed up. It's happened to me and I can imagine OCS would be hellish for that sort of thing. I know I plan on getting a depo shot before I go to SERE because I figure that is the one thing that could possibly make the SERE experience more miserable for a female...

lwhite

This is probably waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much TMI for yall, but they're probably making it readily available so you can better manage your period, not for pregnancy. When you get stressed out and/or are physically exerting yourself, your cycle gets all sorts of messed up. It's happened to me and I can imagine OCS would be hellish for that sort of thing. I know I plan on getting a depo shot before I go to SERE because I figure that is the one thing that could possibly make the SERE experience more miserable for a female...

While that may be true, I have had friends that have gone through OCS and been on the pill and the shot but still never had their periods due to the stress/exertion. Also I was told that they didn't force BC on them, but it was strongly recommended, with a stress on the strongly.

MasterBates

So are you going to get a Depo shot before every mission in the future where you may be shot down Commodore Mid?

Not saying you shouldn't do common sense preps for SERE, like being well fed/hydrated when you go, but you shouldn't do anything you wouldn't do for a normal mission either.

Can't get into why, but gaming it cheapens the training.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I was staying away from this one, but...

Don't go on depo just for SERE. It doesn't work that quick. I'll spare the rest of the details.

Those going into or at OCS- they cannot force you to take the pill. I'm not really sure how good an idea that is anyway- each person will react differently to stress and introducing a change in hormones doesn't seem to be the best idea if you haven't been taking the pill. You body may react to the stress by not having your period at all, someone else may react the opposite (think 2-3 week long period).

megs

Definitely do not try to wear your contacts until candio phase. Don't go into indoc week with them in. I graduated a couple months ago, and was on indoc staff. DO NOT WEAR YOUR CONTACTS.

I can't tell you how annoying it is to be yelled at by the flight surgeon when you're baby sitting INDOCs on medical day, because some of your indocs are trying to be sneaky by wearing their contacts instead of their glasses. Trust me guys, the flight surgeon can see those contacts in your eyes when you go in for your eye exam. So when your indoc staff tells you to wear your glasses and leave the contacts in the car til candio phase, freaking do it.