• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swapping slots?

boxster02

Anyone ever heard of sailors or Marines swapping awarded slots post selection? IE: a SNA selecting during Helo draft one week, and another during an Osprey draft the next can swap? Here in Milton I heard that interservice slot swapping is kosher. Anyone heard about this?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You can run it by the Senior Marine or Marine Selections Officer, but expect to be told to pound sand. I've never heard of it on the blue side.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know a couple guys that swapped P-3 for Helo and vice versa. It sounded like it was kind of a pain, but they were able to make it happen.

Renegade One

None
Assuming both folk's "cutting scores" (or whatever it's called for SNAs) would have qualified each for the other platform, it would seem "doable", albeit a paperwork kerfuffle that no one outside of the two folks directly involved would have much interest in doing. I'd like to think a "dreaded hinge" (or higher) would figure out that this was the best thing to do for the Corps and just tell the "uninterested" to make it happen. Good luck.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My info is dated, so guys like NavAir can chime in what they're seeing now, but I've seen this happen in the past. Sometimes it wasn't quite this overt, like using a spot for the next week's selection so someone deserving can get something everyone knows they want. Other times it's two solid (not necessarily super-NSS, just guys with a good rep) guys that have made their preferences known and STUCON tries to help by getting with the CO and making a switch. It was rare, but doable.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I know some guys who asked during the jet draft that happened about 1.5 years ago. They were given some counseling on the finer points of shutting the hell up, growing where they were planted and taking their selection like a man, while standing at attention.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I know some guys who asked during the jet draft that happened about 1.5 years ago. They were given some counseling on the finer points of shutting the hell up, growing where they were planted and taking their selection like a man, while standing at attention.

Easy to say for a guy who has gotten pretty much his first choice for everything since day 1.

I know guys who got their last choice out of primary and advanced. Not exactly complete douchebags either. It didn't work out so well for the Marines or the person involved. I.e. Making an early course correction with the solution already provided for by the studs could bode well for everyone involved. Not saying that at times you gotta eat a shit sandwich and do what the man says, but sometimes studs in flight school have decent ideas and if presented well and respectfully, then it could prove to be a good thing. Besides what's the worse thing they can say? No?

...but yeah grow where you're planted and say all the cliche' things that everyone wants to hear....

MasterBates

And if you don't like where you were planted, (I was one of those next to last choice in Primary and Advanced) there are ways to fly different things later on. But you need to go forth and kick ass, and if you still hate HSL/VP/VQ/HM** in four or five years, you can switch.

I've done it. Scoober78 is doing it, I know Marines who have done it and went through Kingsville with two of them.

My selection sheets were:
J1 (Meridian T-2/T-45)
J2 (Krock T-45)
E2/C2
E6
Helo
P3

Got helos.

Out of HTs

HC Sigonella
HC Guam
HSL Japan
HS Japan
HSL Hawaii
HC West
HSL West
HS West
HC (H-2) Norfolk
HC (H-46/H-60) Norfolk
HM Norfolk
HM Corpus
HSL Mayport
HS JAX

Yeah. Went to HSL Mayport.

But I still ended up flying something with a hook, which is what I wanted when I got commissioned. Just took longer to get there.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I guess it's possible, but I also remember that that was a very sensitive subject when I went through, so tread lightly. If it's two almost interchangably similar guys, then maybe. But even taking one guy who is a bit stronger with a guy who is avg or a bit weaker. They MAY have put those two where they did for a reason (quality spread, etc).

Bottom line: DO NOT be the guy who runs to the head and literally CRIES because he didn't get jets (in his case). Fucking CRIES. I heard that dude was also later standing at attention.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
What other info can you tell me about my career Ms Cleo?

Don't know yet bro. You really don't have anything yet that I would call a "career" unless professional flight school student career counts. ;)