• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swapping out aircrews/personnel with aircraft remaining deployed...and ships

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
B . B . B. But . . .

It's LITTORAL! It operates in the LITTORALS! It's FORWARD FROM THE SEA! It reengineers our business practices to deliver right-sized naval firepower, which is our core competency!

Or something like that.

MasterBates

B . B . B. But . . .

It's LITTORAL! It operates in the LITTORALS! It's FORWARD FROM THE SEA! It reengineers our business practices to deliver right-sized naval firepower, which is our core competency!

Or something like that.

When did the Navy turn into a bad hybrid of Office Space and DILBERT?

Was it when I was drinking at the club?

hscs

pilot
Horrible thing about LCS -- one helo per ship -- bad idea, since you need two helos to do about any PMA that the LCS is designed to support. Oh, and the maintenance facilities suck....god forbid you have to change a blade or motor.....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Horrible thing about LCS -- one helo per ship -- bad idea, since you need two helos to do about any PMA that the LCS is designed to support. Oh, and the maintenance facilities suck....god forbid you have to change a blade or motor.....

Don't look now...it may well be a helo, but you might not be in it.

firescout.jpg

Renegade One

None
B . B . B. But . . .

Or something like that.

I see you're low on Kool-Aid...a refresh for you, sir? Oh, and your detailer called...something about "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one." He left his number...but said you didn't really need to call back. Just check the message board tomorrow.

Eternal optimism is a force multiplier. -GEN Colin Powell

V/R, Spike

BigRed389

None

LCS is supposed to operate in groups though...what with the modular designs and all.

Renegade One

None
Um...I'm not that close to the program, but I believe that both of the LCS designs accomodate "at least" 3-4 FIRESCOUT UAVs. The LCS-1 design has a larger flight deck than any CRUDES ship currently in the Navy inventory. Multiple numbers airborne at any one time will NOT be a problem...I don't think.

V/R, Spike

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
B . B . B. But . . .

LCS is supposed to operate in groups though...what with the modular designs and all.

Groups or not, I don't know how they will be able to effectively operate in the littorals when all they have is some helos/UAV's, a 57mm pop gun a a few RAM missiles. When I think of littorals the Middle East and Asia come to mind, and that giant swath of the world is populated with all manner of anti-ship missiles (which even terrorist groups now have), fast attack craft and some fighters jets thrown in for good measure.

I have no idea how a ship like the LCS is supposed to operate, much less survive, in that kind of enviroment with weapons (except for the aircraft) that can't hit anything much beyond a few miles. Last time I checked, the RAM was a last ditch defense weapon and the 57mm gun, well.......I guess we don't have to worry about Boghammers any more. We have come full circle, it can't hit anything beyond the horizon by itself. It'll make a great missile sponge.

Official details on the LCS's (it can carry 2 H-60's and/or mix of Firescouts):

http://peoships.crane.navy.mil/lcs/factsheet.htm

RAM:

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2200&tid=800&ct=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIM-116_Rolling_Airframe_Missile

57mm gun:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060207...l-technology.com/contractors/missiles/bofors/

http://www.baesystems.com/ProductsServices/bae_prod_bofors_mm_mk_three.html

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Um...I'm not that close to the program, but I believe that both of the LCS designs accomodate "at least" 3-4 FIRESCOUT UAVs. The LCS-1 design has a larger flight deck than any CRUDES ship currently in the Navy inventory. Multiple numbers airborne at any one time will NOT be a problem...I don't think.

V/R, Spike

That's the plan. The rub was keeping the crew size and associated air det down. HSV and X-Craft are both exercises in how to keep minimal manning and still be operationally effective. Watchstanding and fighting fires drive the crew size more than anything else. Many of the crew have to crosstrain as a result (cooks and corpsman doing things other then cooking and handing out aspirin and taking temperature). That creates a need for air det personnel to NOT be simply an AE or AD or whatever and be more of an A&P, but then MCPON* weighs in on ratings (don't cross the streams).

*As senior enlisted person in Navy, MCPON is a heavy hitter wearing three stars on his arm for a reason. They're not just for protocol and flash, he lords over a lot of enlisted personnel and manning policy with a crew of Master Chiefs at his side.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I think I just saw a bit on "Future Weapons" about the 57mm that the Brits are producing. It looks pretty badass, especially w/ the different shells it can shoot. The spin on the TV show is that it's meant to be used against small boats and shore targets. In the context of LCS, it seems to make sense, but I don't pretend to be an expert on ships or what they need.

However, being protected by the RAM doesn't seem very comforting! Seems like it's just a ship mounted Stinger....

But it should be fun to fly some armed helo off of it!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Are these things supposed to work with expeditionary groups?

As usual we're getting above my "paygrade," and FAR beyond what google can gouge me up with / I'm uninformed and asking waay too many questions.

Ok, so I understand the modular thing if they are supposed to work in groups (does that really make sense for the littoral?), but I'm still at a loss as to what gaping hole they fill in our force structure. The SPECWAR thing I get, but room for Strykers (Army toys??? littoral??) The Japanese tried supply-by-destroyer at several intervals. It was last-ditch. It sucked.

But it should be fun to fly some armed helo off of it!
EXACTLY!!!

Are the helos supposed to be the primary offensive weapon (sweet for the helos!)? If we wanted a shallow-draft presence, why didn't we build a real corvette with some organic anti-ship capability? I feel like this ship is supposed to be a lot of places, but do much?? I feel like the DD(X) and RIVRON had a crack-baby love-child in the future, and then used a time machine to dump it on a doorstep in the present. Is this a test bed for technologies that are supposed to go into Cru/Des(X)??

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are these things supposed to work with expeditionary groups?

As usual we're getting above my "paygrade," and FAR beyond what google can gouge me up with / I'm uninformed and asking waay too many questions.

Ok, so I understand the modular thing if they are supposed to work in groups (does that really make sense for the littoral?), but I'm still at a loss as to what gaping hole they fill in our force structure.

Well, start with Googling "VADM Art Cebrowski" and "Street Fighter"...then work your way towards figuring out what the Navy needs. Plenty of articles and briefs out there. Try also "Strategic Studies Group" and their outbriefs that led to Seaswap, NWDC Fleet Battle Experiments with Modular "payloads" and, eventually, LCS concept.