• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surviving military aviation Chapter 1: What not to do

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Oh dadmiral...

Guy i flew with in primary was going on ccx to Vegas the same day I was headed to Pcola. (dumb choice, I know.) he's headed there single ship with his onwing. His single, female onwing. He tells me he's going to "nail" her, I tell him good luck with that.

Fast forward a couple months, and both he and I are at South Whiting. I start hearing rumors about a pregnant IP in Corpus. The rest is in the JAGMAN and all who knew about it promptly STFU.

Fun postscript to that story - according to rumor, he was attrited for doing an iron cross out the front gate. OLQ or something. :)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Oh dadmiral...

Guy i flew with in primary was going on ccx to Vegas the same day I was headed to Pcola. (dumb choice, I know.) he's headed there single ship with his onwing. His single, female onwing. He tells me he's going to "nail" her, I tell him good luck with that.

Fast forward a couple months, and both he and I are at South Whiting. I start hearing rumors about a pregnant IP in Corpus. The rest is in the JAGMAN and all who knew about it promptly STFU.

Fun postscript to that story - according to rumor, he was attrited for doing an iron cross out the front gate. OLQ or something. :)

Um, I don't know how much can be revealed, however I may have been around during the aftermath. Maybe...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
That whole time frame in Corpus was crazy... folks getting out without having to pay anything back, the VR thing, the stud emailed PERS actual, this incident... woof.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I was in P-cola for the mall landing. Good times.

Hornet FRS student. Incident #1: Shuts down wrong engine during hot pit and, upon being fully fueled, attempts to taxi in for the hot seat. Mid-ground collision did not occur because he at least had enough brains to use the brakes once he realized he couldn't turn and was getting very close to another parked aircraft. Started up the engine and claimed a brake failure. Incident #2: during fighter det gets separated from his wingman. When asked where he was he claimed he was in high cover the whole time and had tally/visual. Lead suspected something funny and watches FRS stud's tapes, but they were not on during the flight. Meanwhile said FRS student has steadily built a bad reputation so lead goes to TACTS where TACTS shows FRS stud's position say relatively constant while losing a tremendous amount of altitude. Maintenance data pulled to discover that FRS stud actually departed controlled flight. FRS stud subsequently FNAEB'd for loss of confidence. Kept wings.

Fleet Rhino nugget. With a department head they fly an unauthorized low level "show" over hometown. Word gets back to squadron. When questioned about how the cross country went, both fail to mention their "show." When questioned directly, both lie and say they didn't do it. DH takes the big hit and loses flight status, but not wing (I think). Nugget gets another shot. One year later said Nugget is on a solo cross country. On his leg from Davis Monthan he decides to do a dirty roll on take off and nearly departs. Retired general so and so happens to be playing golf by the departure end of the runway and calls it in. When question about how is departure from DM when by his squadron he fails to mention the aerobatic maneuver. Gets sent back to FRS and given another shot in a new squadron. WTF?!?

Two weapons school instructors in a T-34 from Monterey to Lemoore fly an unauthorized low level and strike a power line. The power line was strung between two peaks so it wasn't like it was at 20 ft or anything. Someone sees it happen, calls the police. Meanwhile power goes out in Salinas so the police call the base. The T-34 program manager is waiting for the pilots in the ready room and already knows they hit a wire. In fact he already told the PC that was going to catch the plane to get word to the ready room immediately if he saw any damage on the aircraft. T-34 program manager knows they hit a wire and knows there is damage to the plane. Pilots come into the ready room and he asks them how the flight went. "Fine, no problems, why?" I seriously thought the T-34 program manager was going to spontaneously combust. Front seat guy was sent to staff and left the Navy a year or two later when his commitment was up, but did subsequently get in a Guard unit. Back seat pilot made department head, but not command.

Lesson to be learned: if you make mistakes don't try and hide them because that is what really gets you.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, sometimes it's the mistake, but you have to know when the gig is up! When someone asks "Are you sure nothing happened on your flight?" they actually know what happened already. Come clean. If you hit a power line, you can be pretty sure that power line led to something. If you didn't damage the plane, you'll probably get by with nothing more than a good punch in the balls for doing something dumb. Lie about it and you're just digging your own hole, and what's the first step of getting out of a hole? Stop digging.

MidWestEwo

None
This one wasn't too long ago. Female pilot student in IFS at the time. She did well in academics, and seemingly did well in the cockpit of a Cessna 172. That is of course until the flight instructor that instinctively corrected her mistakes stepped out for her solo flight. On her first take off, the whole concept of Pfactor escaped her. She gave full power, and when the plane didn't 'automatically' correct itself from its left yawing tendencies, she exacerbated the situation by giving even more left rudder. She crashed off the side of the runway and totaled the plane. The powers that be decided to keep her around and let her solo again in the 172. She did just fine after that. A low NSS and a story of the student crying in the landing pattern on hot mic in primary circulated later on. She is now a helo pilot I believe.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This one wasn't too long ago. Female pilot student in IFS at the time. She did well in academics, and seemingly did well in the cockpit of a Cessna 172. That is of course until the flight instructor that instinctively corrected her mistakes stepped out for her solo flight. On her first take off, the whole concept of Pfactor escaped her. She gave full power, and when the plane didn't 'automatically' correct itself from its left yawing tendencies, she exacerbated the situation by giving even more left rudder. She crashed off the side of the runway and totaled the plane. The powers that be decided to keep her around and let her solo again in the 172. She did just fine after that. A low NSS and a story of the student crying in the landing pattern on hot mic in primary circulated later on. She is now a helo pilot I believe.

One of my best friends was her safety observer on her brolo. He said the flight was interesting. And that he took the controls a few times.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... a story of the student crying in the landing pattern on hot mic in primary circulated later on.

I had an off-wing flight with a girl that was doing average if not better. We finished up the high work and spun our way down and entered the landing pattern. After the spin(s) and a few laps in the bumpy pattern, the stud passed me the controls for a moment. I flew the pattern, figuring she needed a drink watched her head go down a little bit and then looked like she was working on something up front. Finally she took the controls from me and we pressed. I asked what was going on up there and she said she got sick but was ready...and in less than one lap around the pattern. We completed the hop and she progressed. Impressive boot and rally.

Only topped by a 2P on my second det during work ups. It was night in the winter in the Pacific and the ship (and helo) were moving around quite a bit. She was flying with my OIC knocking out bounces (I was in the LSO shack). After a while, after all the chasing the deck, exhaust fumes, and no real visual reference other than the boat, she passed the controls to the HAC, booted into her glove and then took controls and finished the bounces. All while hovering over the deck.