• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Scool....????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuSnake

For any of you pilots out there, or SNA's, when do you go through survival school and what is it like. I'm just curious because I'm told its a little bit of fun and a whole lot of hell. Any Input.....anybody???

JayManC

SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape1) is by no means fun. My stefather went through it some years ago following flight school. From what i heard even if you don't get caught you're still required to turn yourself in...

I know im my stepfather's case he was locked in a room with no clothes and required to sit on a box facing the door with his hands resting on his knees palms up for some time....needless to say he doesn't talk about it much...

this was back in the early 80's and things might have changed somewhat since then....but i doubt it

<insert something witty here:>

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It was NOT fun, and I lost more than 10 lbs. Really good training to go through, but I would not like to do it again. Most people go to it before the FRS, I ended up going there after the FRS. Unfortunately I can't talk about anymore of it, you'll just have to experience it for yourself! Muhahaha. [}:)]

John Wickham
War Criminal #34

Valion310

I was pissed I didn't get to go after Aircrew school ... Although I heard the horror stories from the guys out of my class. Can't wait!

The Wiz

i heard you have to spend like a day in a small and disgusting cell, is that true? if so what do you do like eat, go the the bathroom?

Gabe2surf

For those of you who have not gone through the school, this is a clasified course. The methods and training used are not for public use. What you have read on here is probably as much as you'll hear about it until you go through it(or unless there's a loud mouth who doesn't know his responsibilities to keep his trap shut.) Anyway, it will be that much better if you don't have a clue when you go to SERE because you will get a lot more out of it that way. Just be patient and enjoy.

Jack

Got ya beat John, I lost 21 lbs in six days (maybe because I had a little extra to lose).

Some of the best training I've ever gotten, and probably ever will receive. That being said I do not wish to ever go through it again.

Ditto to what was said about not knowing too much about what goes on. I probably, in hindsight, new too much (or thought I knew) prior to starting. You will benefit most by being faced with real decisions and real consequences and then reacting instinctively, not according to what a 'buddy' may have told you to do. The scenarios change weekly and this is done to protect the integrity of the course. I would not hesitate, however, to gouge someone up on what/what not to take with them, of course most of that is provided to you and in turn taken from you.

Jack
War Criminal #35

aka ...' the girthy infidel...'

ghost_ttu

*laughs* c'mon jarhead, it can't be that bad, I figured you would have seen that as a little break from training. I hear Washington is nice this time of year. Of course I haven't been through SERE so I'll just poke fun and suspect that it's a one time enjoyment....

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jarhead, I bet that graduation certificate is in a safe place! lol, I made multiple copies of mine!

Mike26

I attended SERE through the Air Force, does anybody know if I will have to repeat the training once I am in the Navy?

Jack

Jarhead, I was there in August. Jansky is in my RAG class. Which element were you in? I was in "SERE EOD/SEAL Mobile Unit Four", fourth element with all the EOD techs and two Seals. Myself and my SAR swimmer buddy were by far the weakest links on our team - even more fun when it was just the two of us, we did fine though.

I made several copies of my certificate, several copies of the page in my NATOPS jacket that has the stamp, and several copies fo the official paperwork from FASOTRAGRUPAC that says I 'had been there, done that".

Status
Not open for further replies.