• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surgery and OCS...

SticknRudder

Hello all,

Headed to OCS here shortly, and a bit concerned about problems with my IT Band that had flared up a couple of months ago after running too hard, too quickly, and without stretching...I've been off it and doing PT since, and find it is helping a quite a bit, but I'm running out of time.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make sure I get through the program. So the question is, if my ITBS flares back up in Newport sending me med-down, is surgery an option? I've done some homework and others say they've been back to running 5 and 10K's in as little as a week or two after going under the knife. Also, will the surgery cause me problems down the road during my flight physical for SNA?

Thanks!

SnR

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Surgery can always be an option, but, should always be a last resort after conservative efforts have failed. Make sure your doc, hopefully an orthopod, makes you fully aware of your options.

Regarding surgery and your career........Flight docs will care that you are mostly pain free and have full range of motion and have, in some cases, finished taking all your prescribed medicines.

Who diagnosed your ITB injury?

SticknRudder

Thanks feddoc...I was diagnosed by a physician's assistant (he did sound like he knew what he was talking about) with x-rays, but no MRI. I've been doing Physical Therapy with a regular PT guy, as my health insurance doesn't cover sports medicine people. Again, I do see improvement, but nervous about the "what-if's," however slight.