• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surface Warfare lateral transfer into Aviation

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Looking for any info on the likelihood of lateral transfer from SWO into Aviation. What's the fastest time to receive pin? What to look for in choosing a ship to have highest probability to transfer to aviation. Any info helps

Here's a handy-dandy guide:
1) When you check in, tell everyone how you're really just here to get in and get out with your pin as quickly as possible so you can be an aviator. SWOs are very helpful and compassionate people.
2) Be lackadaisical in getting your quals, they don't really matter anyway.
3) Tell your CO and XO how you are not all that hot about being a SWO and he'll help make sure you end up with the best possible FITREPS for lat transfer.
4) When it comes to networking, it's not that important to get letters of recommendation or being a known quantity in the aviation community or having people who could potentially advocate for you in the selection board.
5) Finally, remember that 42% get jets.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The traditional Navy uniform of dark blue and black shoes didn’t work too well with early aviation. The first Naval aviators flew out of grass-dirt fields. They adopted forest green uniforms with brown shoes to better hide the dust. So aviators were - and remain - “brown shoes” and the ‘regular’ Navy were the “black shoes,” and eventually just “Shoes”.

Don't forget those ballin leather jackets with the comfy-looking collars.

SharkBait

Looking for any info on the likelihood of lateral transfer from SWO into Aviation. What's the fastest time to receive pin? What to look for in choosing a ship to have highest probability to transfer to aviation. Any info helps

You have set yourself up for failure, you would have been better off pushing for a pilot spot for 2 more years.

Dotan96

You have set yourself up for failure, you would have been better off pushing for a pilot spot for 2 more years.
I wasnt placed in swo by choice however I have a job to do and I intend to be the best at it. My passion and where I see myself in the navy in the long run is in aviation.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
@AllAmerican75 Didn't you come here way back when out of Kings Point wanting to be an aviator?

Indeed; maybe I need to work on my internet sarcasm. I've actually even been in this dude's shoes, trying endlessly through OCS and then trying to lat transfer into the aviation community. I'm more than happy to help the dude if he has specific questions. In fact, I believe I've posted endlessly about my attempts at redesignating over to the 1310 community. But alas, NAMI has me a on a short list of people they will never allow into a Navy cockpit. They even told my flight surgeon as much.

Here's my thread about getting interviews from current 1310s/1320s to submit with your lat transfer package: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/lat-xfer-interview-requests.41508/

Here's my thread regarding getting SWOtivated: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/need-some-swotivation.38497/

Really, what the dude is asking about is probably one of the toughest rows to hoe possible. His timing and the ship's timing are going to have to marry perfectly and then he still may not make it. In the last two boards, only one dude has been picked up into the 1390 community. Did I mention his timing needs to be absolutely perfect? As I'm sure you know, he needs to be senior enough to have completed the minimum service wickets within the SWO community and be junior enough that he can still make it through flight school and hit all of the JO career wickets in the aviation community. Luckily, he won't need a disassociated sea tour. This will take heavy lifting from him, his CO, and his XO, and the community manager.

@Dotan96, here's the serious advice:
1) Show up and don't make ANY mention about going aviator until you've got your SWO pin, or OOD letter at the very least. The personal politics of your CO/XO and wardroom have a gigantic part to play in your getting qualified in a timely manner and they will not take kindly to somebody who's eyeballing the exit door. You need to be the best SWO you can be and play the game.
2) Take care of yourself physically. You're likely going to have one shot at this due to deployment schedules and career timing and you can't fail your flight physical.
3) Reach out to the Aviation Community Manager here: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...rs/active/Unrestricted/Pages/AviationOCM.aspx. He'll be able to help guide you and get you in touch with COs and XOs who can write letter of recommendation.
4) Get networking with said COs and XOs. Every O6 is a potential selection board member and them knowing who you are could make or break you. This isn't strictly how it's supposed to work, but it does.
5) Sustained Superior Performance. This matters. Your FITREPS need to show that you're a solid dude and are worthy of being selected.
6) Find the small things that motivate you and keep you going. There's a LOT of bullshit on sea duty, and not having your heart completely in it can make it worse. I speak from experience here, and it sucks. Having my shit pushed in by my CO/XO/Dept Head, standing rev watch into sea and anchor detail, no sleep, duty days on the only day between underways, etc. Find something to keep the dream and the hope alive.

And my final parting wisdom: Your life is NOT over if you don't get picked up. I spent my whole life wanting to be a Naval Aviator. I ate, drank, slept, and breathed it for the better part of 23 years and met road block after road block (Just check my post history). I applied to the Academy 3 times, ROTC twice, and OCS 4 times. I got picked up for an Aviator slot only to be medically disqualified within my last week of OCS for something they couldn't even determine I had. I then dealt with a first DIVO tour on a ship that was the epitome of every negative SWO stereotype you've ever heard and some you haven't. Somehow, by the grace of the Almighty alone I managed to piece together everything I needed for a lat transfer package -- LORs, letter request, CO's endorsement, etc. -- and submitted it on time. And you know what happened? NAMI responded to my flight surgeon by saying that they (the NAMI waiver board) knew exactly who I was and that they would NEVER let me in a cockpit that had Navy or Marine Corps stenciled on the side.

If you don't think that hurt, then buddy you haven't been paying attention. But, let me tell you, my life didn't end there and neither did my career. I've had some fantastic adventures in the Navy, some that I never would have had if I had been in Aviation and I love what I'm doing now. There are fun, rewarding things to do in the Navy other than fly planes and there are great Americans that you will have the opportunity to serve under and besides and even lead. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Best of luck.

Dotan96

Indeed; maybe I need to work on my internet sarcasm. I've actually even been in this dude's shoes, trying endlessly through OCS and then trying to lat transfer into the aviation community. I'm more than happy to help the dude if he has specific questions. In fact, I believe I've posted endlessly about my attempts at redesignating over to the 1310 community. But alas, NAMI has me a on a short list of people they will never allow into a Navy cockpit. They even told my flight surgeon as much.

Here's my thread about getting interviews from current 1310s/1320s to submit with your lat transfer package: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/lat-xfer-interview-requests.41508/

Here's my thread regarding getting SWOtivated: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/need-some-swotivation.38497/

Really, what the dude is asking about is probably one of the toughest rows to hoe possible. His timing and the ship's timing are going to have to marry perfectly and then he still may not make it. In the last two boards, only one dude has been picked up into the 1390 community. Did I mention his timing needs to be absolutely perfect? As I'm sure you know, he needs to be senior enough to have completed the minimum service wickets within the SWO community and be junior enough that he can still make it through flight school and hit all of the JO career wickets in the aviation community. Luckily, he won't need a disassociated sea tour. This will take heavy lifting from him, his CO, and his XO, and the community manager.

1) Show up and don't make ANY mention about going aviator until you've got your SWO pin, or OOD letter at the very least. The personal politics of your CO/XO and wardroom have a gigantic part to play in your getting qualified in a timely manner and they will not take kindly to somebody who's eyeballing the exit door. You need to be the best SWO you can be and play the game.
2) Take care of yourself physically. You're likely going to have one shot at this due to deployment schedules and career timing and you can't fail your flight physical.
3) Reach out to the Aviation Community Manager here: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...rs/active/Unrestricted/Pages/AviationOCM.aspx. He'll be able to help guide you and get you in touch with COs and XOs who can write letter of recommendation.
4) Get networking with said COs and XOs. Every O6 is a potential selection board member and them knowing who you are could make or break you. This isn't strictly how it's supposed to work, but it does.
5) Sustained Superior Performance. This matters. Your FITREPS need to show that you're a solid dude and are worthy of being selected.
6) Find the small things that motivate you and keep you going. There's a LOT of bullshit on sea duty, and not having your heart completely in it can make it worse. I speak from experience here, and it sucks. Having my shit pushed in by my CO/XO/Dept Head, standing rev watch into sea and anchor detail, no sleep, duty days on the only day between underways, etc. Find something to keep the dream and the hope alive.

And my final parting wisdom: Your life is NOT over if you don't get picked up. I spent my whole life wanting to be a Naval Aviator. I ate, drank, slept, and breathed it for the better part of 23 years and met road block after road block (Just check my post history). I applied to the Academy 3 times, ROTC twice, and OCS 4 times. I got picked up for an Aviator slot only to be medically disqualified within my last week of OCS for something they couldn't even determine I had. I then dealt with a first DIVO tour on a ship that was the epitome of every negative SWO stereotype you've ever heard and some you haven't. Somehow, by the grace of the Almighty alone I managed to piece together everything I needed for a lat transfer package -- LORs, letter request, CO's endorsement, etc. -- and submitted it on time. And you know what happened? NAMI responded to my flight surgeon by saying that they (the NAMI waiver board) knew exactly who I was and that they would NEVER let me in a cockpit that had Navy or Marine Corps stenciled on the side.

If you don't think that hurt, then buddy you haven't been paying attention. But, let me tell you, my life didn't end there and neither did my career. I've had some fantastic adventures in the Navy, some that I never would have had if I had been in Aviation and I love what I'm doing now. There are fun, rewarding things to do in the Navy other than fly planes and there are great Americans that you will have the opportunity to serve under and besides and even lead. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Best of luck.
I really appreciate the in depth guidance. I owe it to the division I will be leading to be the best officer I can be. With that in mind does it make a drastic difference in being a DIVO in an 0-6 command ship vice 0-5? From what other SWOs have informed me of is that being in an 0-6 command with an aviation det will be in my favor when putting up my package for lat transfer. I'd like to get insight if this is truly the case. Ship selection is upon me so if there is any insight on the different ship type mission and work dynamic based on your experience helps tremendously to making an informed decision.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really appreciate the in depth guidance. I owe it to the division I will be leading to be the best officer I can be. With that in mind does it make a drastic difference in being a DIVO in an 0-6 command ship vice 0-5? From what other SWOs have informed me of is that being in an 0-6 command with an aviation det will be in my favor when putting up my package for lat transfer. I'd like to get insight if this is truly the case. Ship selection is upon me so if there is any insight on the different ship type mission and work dynamic based on your experience helps tremendously to making an informed decision.

I really don’t see how ship type would make any difference for a lat transfer, beyond how fast you get your pin. Bupers won’t even talk to you about redes until you’ve got your pin.

Getting your quals and pin as quickly as possible is all to the good, whether you ultimately redes or not. Smaller ships (smaller wardroom) that do a lot of different things are your best bet for that, so these days, that means a DDG. So just put the redes idea in your back pocket, piss excellence as a JO, and when you’ve got a pin and good paper on you, then drop a redes package.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

There's no difference. In fact, I would take a DDG that's an independent deployer (all the ships in Rota, a few in each fleet concentration area) over anything. You'll get more sea time (crucial for getting qualified) and won't have to play silly strike group games (which can kill your chances of getting qualified on time).

Also, O6 commands are larger, which means more ensigns jockeying for time doing UNREPS, flight quarters, etc. Ideally, you want to be 1 of 2-3 ensigns showing up to the ship about the same time which is enough to motivate the CO/XO/Dept Heads to get you qualified but small enough to actually manage getting you qualified.

Air dets don't matter! They're typically O3s and O4s worrying about their own quals (HAC, etc) and won't have much time to help. The people you need to talk to are the ones in Millington (Accessions detailer and OCM) and the CO/XO of your local squadron who can write you an LOR and advocate for you at a selection board.

If you can't get an independent deployer DDG, snag a "small" gator (LSD or LPD). They have a simpler qual process (not as many combat systems) and have docs on board who can help you get ready for your flight physical. Timing your flight physical will be difficult.

ATIS

For a Kings Point guy....this email is a "SHACK" and good advice.

ATIS.... from the real Maritime College across the river.

Dotan96

There's no difference. In fact, I would take a DDG that's an independent deployer (all the ships in Rota, a few in each fleet concentration area) over anything. You'll get more sea time (crucial for getting qualified) and won't have to play silly strike group games (which can kill your chances of getting qualified on time).

Also, O6 commands are larger, which means more ensigns jockeying for time doing UNREPS, flight quarters, etc. Ideally, you want to be 1 of 2-3 ensigns showing up to the ship about the same time which is enough to motivate the CO/XO/Dept Heads to get you qualified but small enough to actually manage getting you qualified.

Air dets don't matter! They're typically O3s and O4s worrying about their own quals (HAC, etc) and won't have much time to help. The people you need to talk to are the ones in Millington (Accessions detailer and OCM) and the CO/XO of your local squadron who can write you an LOR and advocate for you at a selection board.

If you can't get an independent deployer DDG, snag a "small" gator (LSD or LPD). They have a simpler qual process (not as many combat systems) and have docs on board who can help you get ready for your flight physical. Timing your flight physical will be difficult.
This is some really great info. What do you mean by timing my flight physical will be difficult?