• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supply School Questions

speedgirl

Could someone describe what supply school was like? I heard it's for 6 months and then you usually get sea duty as first tour. I know that Supply officers are needed all over, so is it easier to receive your preferred geographic area than in other communities? Any info on Athens and time off would be great too. Thanks

navsup

BDCP Supply
speedgirl,
Those sites actually have very limited information about NSCS. I was selected over a year ago and still havent found much about it. I do know that it starts 4 times a year, jan, april, july, october. Also according to the site most first tour Supo's will be in disbursing, food service, and sales officer.

also when picking billets...quoting from nscs

Billets
When it is time for post NSCS duty stations to be determined, a list of available billets is provided to the class. This list does not include the names of ships. Ship names will be announced at a later time, Orders Reading, when students are informed of their billet assignment. A particular student's influence on their assignment is a function of their academic performance and an assessment of their Officer Like Qualities (OLQ). Billet lists vary by the Navy's needs. Their composition with respect to ship type and port location thus changes from class to class. The most common job titles for those coming out of NSCS BQC are Disbursing Officer, Sales Officer, and Food Service Officer. Some students may be Supply Officers on submarines and minesweepers.

Housing
On base housing is very limited at NSCS. Students with dependents can find out about the availability of housing by contacting the housing office. Those without dependents should expect to live off base. While they should still contact the housing office before arranging their residence, the primary service the office can offer to such students is advice on where to find housing out in town.

Watch
Students in the BQC are required to stand watch. Watch is stood on the NSCS Quarterdeck for a period of four hours. Students do not stand watch between 0800 and 1600 on weekdays as to accommodate class. On days when a student has watch, the student is on call for the entirety of the day while not on watch. Different sections of students rotate duty days throughout the week.

Advanced Management Program

Marine Detachment

Relational Supply
Unit Level
Users Guide

tr>

Afloat Supply
Calendar

This is an official U.S.Navy Website
You are visitor number 634
Since 11/8/2004

thats about all I have found that is of use

smell the glove

Be prepared to sit through some of the most boring classes you've ever experienced and be treated like a kindergartener. Once you reach your ship, your LCPO/LPO and/or other chops will teach you how to actually function in your job. The BQC sucks, but things get much better when you hit the fleet. As for picking location, roughly 80-85% of people get their first or second pick.

BigSkyGuy

ENS, SC, USNR
Right now the Basic Qualification Course (BQC) for newly commissioned Supply Corps Officers is 5 months long - 20 weeks. If you are in the session that starts in October it will be longer due to the Christmas/New Year Holiday.

You will find the classes boring or interesting depending upon your own level of interest. I don't find them boring at all, and I've never felt like a kindergartner ... of course its been 26 years since I was in kindergarten so I may not remember what it was really like. However, using Adobe Acrobat to surf thousands and thousands of pages of pubs is nothing like learning the alphabet.

Sounds like Smell had a miserable time here. Athens is a lot of fun and is about the easiest you'll have it in the Navy. You are taught the fundamentals of all areas a Supply Officer will be involved in throughout his/her career so that when you do arrive to the fleet you won't look like a complete idiot. And yes, your Chief(s) will be the ones you have to rely on to learn how to do the job, along with fellow Supply Corps Officers.

You will go to a sea tour leaving BQC, unless for some rare reason a operational billet (meaning you are in a deployable unit) like SeaBees comes up. There are overseas tours quite frequently as well.

Housing is available, there just isn't a huge selection of 'styles'. Its mainly townhomes. Availalbe to members with dependents - i.e you and a spouse and/or children.

Watchstanding is required, not difficult, and part of the training process. Again so you don't look like a complete fool when you go to your first ship.

There isn't a whole lot more to know than what is posted here. You go to class every day, take 1 to 2 tests per week, and have fun in your spare time.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Ahhh, Athens. Finally I will have the opportunity to hook up with a "southern belle." Anyways, I thought supply officers aren't able to stand watch on the boat due to the fact that they are restricted line. Perhaps I am mistaken.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Speaking from experience, Godspeed, once you go "southern belle," you never go back. Back me up on this Ky. :D

Godspeed

pilot
Charleston, South Carolina, and Georgia Southern allowed me to come to this realization.

acarter

I second whoever said - "Stay away from my sister." :icon_mi_1
I'm headed to OCS for Supply School April 23rd... I believe I get out mid July so it looks like Supply School in Oct. sometime. But, I was born in GA and grew up there, so I know alllllllll about southern belles. Take care and maybe I will see some of you folks in P-Cola.

-Andy

speedgirl

Thanks smell and B S G for the info...

How did my question get diverted to a conversation on southern belles?? Behave while in Athens, boys.

Tripp, the article was pretty interesting. Gives you a feel for some of the locals.

Godspeed

pilot
There are several key points in the article you linked me to, of which I quoted below:

-"What used to be a university that served as a geographical melting pot for all Georgians has now become an elite finishing school for white suburban girls."

-"Today, 60 percent of UGA students are women."

-"They wear chic Seven jeans and preppy North Face jackets, and drive SUVs, Mercedes and Beamers."

-"Many of the UGA chicks are, indeed, blond and blue-eyed girls who grew up in the wholesome, affluent suburbs - just, presumably, like Barbie."

MMMMMmmmm... EXCELLENT. I wonder how many I can corrupt in 5 months.