• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Hornet VS Growler (For Pilots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
I’m not entirely sure if this has been covered yet. Another topic has gotten a hold of me, yet I can’t break loose, so it seems.

I know this is way too early on. But, I just gotta ask some about two fine fast-mover platforms since I’m vying to return to the Boat someday (Jets or Helos).

1. I understand that Pilots in the Strike Fighter community have to carry a special kind of tenacity about them and utilize controlled aggression during training and real combat scenarios. But, are the degrees of those attributes about the same for Growler drivers?

2. Do Growler drivers do the same amount of air-to-air as their VFA brethren?

3. For VAQ, is it almost always electronic ground attack runs during training (involving both Pilot and Electronic Warfare Officer, that is?)

That’s all I got for now. All responses are appreciated.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m not entirely sure if this has been covered yet. Another topic has gotten a hold of me, yet I can’t break loose, so it seems.

I know this is way too early on. But, I just gotta ask some about two fine fast-mover platforms since I’m vying to return to the Boat someday (Jets or Helos).

1. I understand that Pilots in the Strike Fighter community have to carry a special kind of tenacity about them and utilize controlled aggression during training and real combat scenarios. But, are the degrees of those attributes about the same for Growler drivers?

3. For VAQ, is it almost always electronic ground attack runs during training (involving both Pilot and Electronic Warfare Officer, that is?)

1) Ummm..yes? I’m not sure what you’re looking for here.

2) No. The Growler’s primary mission is Electronic Attack (EA) / SEAD (suppression of enemy air defenses). The air-to-air syllabus is designed to allow aircrew to employ the jet in that environment primarily in a self defense role, and is a small part of the overall training syllabus.

3) No. Yes, the jet is almost always flown with a full crew. Tactical flights can encompass the air-to-air training I mentioned already, Surface to Air Counter Tactics (SACT) or various EA/SEAD profiles and mission sets. That’s a gross oversimplification of the syllabus, but I’m not sure how much detail you’re looking for.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. I'd think that any tacair pilot has to have what you are describing.

2 & 3: What CFAM said...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
Gentlemen, thanks for the answers so far.

I just made this inquiry so I’d get some basics down and know what I’d be potentially getting into come selection time during flight school.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

1. That's a bizarre, unanswerable question.
  2. No
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by "electronic ground attack runs." Both VFA and VAQ do a variety of missions. You won't be bored in either platform.

PM me if you want to discuss VAQ in more detail.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some people throw the football, some people snap it.

Choose wisely.
giphy.gif

dismissive_wanking.gif

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some people throw the football, some people snap it.

Choose wisely.
Ooooh! Which one is the quarterback in this scenario? By all means, please elaborate and regale us with your vast knowledges!

I would encourage you to go read the last couple months of SDOBs and come back and tell us which platform is in SECDEF's scan and which isn't.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Nearly every post in this thread, including the original, has made me laugh audibly. Thank you all. Great way to end the night.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP, you should definitely choose your platform based on what is “in SECDEF’s scan”

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ

Likewise for Wlawr’s witty remarks. As usual, my point sailed directly over your head.

Can we please have an honest and civilized talk for the OP to consider without petty bullshit? Jesus Fucking Christ indeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.