• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Hornet in Pensacola

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prevents damage to the nose wheel when off (i.e nose wheel not going into the well straight if you have to use rudder on takeoff)

We use NWS for the entire takeoff roll.

or in some aircraft, you can get a tighter turn when taxiing with the NWS off.

You mean on. No way you're turning a Rhino tighter without NWS than on high-gain NWS.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
We use NWS for the entire takeoff roll.

We turned it off in the T-6 (which is the only aircraft I can speak for) for the take off roll. Only had it on during taxi.

You mean on. No way you're turning a Rhino tighter without NWS than on high-gain NWS.

Gotcha... learn something new everyday. Again, since I can only speak for the T-6, it turns tighter w/ NWS off.

Different aircraft, different specs, different procedures.

Anyone else care to chime in on NWS and turn radius/takeoff roll for other platforms?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We turned it off in the T-6 (which is the only aircraft I can speak for) for the take off roll. Only had it on during taxi.

Gotcha... learn something new everyday. Again, since I can only speak for the T-6, it turns tighter w/ NWS off.

Different aircraft, different specs, different procedures.

Anyone else care to chime in on NWS and turn radius/takeoff roll for other platforms?

Yeah, just illustrating that each aircraft is different. I believe the Tomcat kicked off NWS at 100 knots on the takeoff roll.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

NWS on the Prowler is either on or off. None of that fancy hi/lo gain stuff. Mash the button on the stick and it's on, or it's always on with the hook down. Both modes require WOW.

Brett

SemperApollo

Earlier someone said there was extensive damage to the underside of the jet which made me wonder: Is it easier to fix composite or aluminum aircraft (given a similar situation)?

AD-217 sitting proud at Dover...

Attachments

• hot_ramp_angle.JPG
    hot_ramp_angle.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 68

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Earlier someone said there was extensive damage to the underside of the jet which made me wonder: Is it easier to fix composite or aluminum aircraft (given a similar situation)?

AD-217 sitting proud at Dover...

Most of the damage seemed to be centered on the landing gear, so your question doesn't really apply. At any rate, major repairs like that are usually done by depot level P&E guys and tend to take a long time (months).

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
First: You always sound sarcastic. :icon_wink

Second: Your comment about the skid switch reminded me about one of my Harrier pet-peeves: we can't actuate the "Hi Gain" (we have high and low, low is always hot) NWS without turning the anti-skid switch off, which gives you many more opportunities to fvck it away and blow your tires if you had to do some tight turning and forgot to switch back.

Dude....pick up a NATOPS. I know we taught you better than that. I guess it's been awhile since you've been at group.

Antiskid switch ON: No NWS unless the button on the stick is pushed, in which case you get LO GAIN.

Antiskid switch OFF: HOT LO GAIN NWS until the button on the stick is pushed, in which case you get HI GAIN NWS. If the throttle is above 83-88% RPM (based on PLA) the HI GAIN is disabled and you get LO GAIN.

We fly with the skid OFF at the boat, so the most common reason for guys blowing tires is coming back from the boat (or FCLPs) and forgeting to turn it back on. Many beers for the plane captains result.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I never understood why we all fly with the Anti-skid off at the boat. Anyone?

The idea is you don't want a computer in between you and immediate breaking action. Since the anti-skid computer can fail (and it does a lot in the Rhino, not sure about you guys), you really don't want to deal with that on the deck of the boat.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Mefesto said:
I never understood why we all fly with the Anti-skid off at the boat. Anyone?

I think the idea is that since we aren't using it anyway, and step 1 for "loss of brakes" is "antiskid switch-NWS" (skid off), we might as well just leave it there. That way step 1 is always done.

Plus (for AV-8Bs), it's the only way we can get Hi Gain NWS since the new system was installed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the idea is that since we aren't using it anyway, and step 1 for "loss of brakes" is "antiskid switch-NWS" (skid off), we might as well just leave it there. That way step 1 is always done.

Plus (for AV-8Bs), it's the only way we can get Hi Gain NWS since the new system was installed.

Concur w/ Fly and HD. No reason to use it at the boat, save step in EP.

Brett

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Most of the damage seemed to be centered on the landing gear, so your question doesn't really apply. At any rate, major repairs like that are usually done by depot level P&E guys and tend to take a long time (months).

Brett

We have some really awesome guys from L3 Communications that do great work on the Prowlers at Whidbey. They are the kings of FOD though... :D
I remember getting b!tched at by the AMO at many a maintenance meeting about the dozens of rivet stems found during FOD walkdown in the hangar.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Anti-Skid off at the boat means, if a tire starts to slide (which they do a lot on the flight deck) anti-skid won't "pump" the brake and you get full braking action regardless of tire speed. Just to add tothe discussion of Rhino braking, people tend to blow tires at lower speed because anti-skid is ineffective below about 15 knots.