• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sun glasses at OCS

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
I am supposed to wear sun glasses every time I go outside for the first year after my PRK surgery. If I were to (hypothetically) attend OCS within a year of having my surgery done, would I be allowed to wear sun glasses during exercises? If so, would they be government issue, or could I wear my Ray Bans Wayfarers?

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I am supposed to wear sun glasses every time I go outside for the first year after my PRK surgery. If I were to (hypothetically) attend OCS within a year of having my surgery done, would I be allowed to wear sun glasses during exercises? If so, would they be government issue, or could I wear my Ray Bans Wayfarers?

What? Who told you that you had to wear sunglasses when you go outside? Sounds a bit far fetched...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah this sounds a bit out there to me.......I've known plenty of folks who have had PRK, and none have had said restriction.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Even if you did get a docs note that says you have to wear them, I'm thinking your super-cool Ray Bans would never be allowed. I'm sure they'd put you in some BCG gov't. issue glasses of some kind. And once you started wearing them, the DI's would probably make you wear them every second of the day after.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was told to wear sunglasses back when I had surgery in '01. I also went through OCS in '01 and can tell you that it didn't really matter not having sunglasses. The cover covered my eyes sufficiently enough and I wasn't outside during the peak hours anyway. Most of your PT (at least it was) came in the early morning. Perhaps this is different now, but I doubt it.

MasterBates

I can just picture how Gunnery Sergeants Belcher or Cagle would have taken it if you asked to wear sunglasses. Hell, I didn't even wear my glasses. (20/30, could get away without them)

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Guys would routinely have their eyes dilated by the docs throughout OCS, then had to face the day wearing those big shades eye-cutters just love to give out. Happened to me once during OCS too. Anyhow, the DIs never said anything about it to anyone - but you'd usually only be wearing them for a few hours. Showing up that way...probably not a great idea.

But hey, your classmates will appreciate you absorbing the plurality of the DI's attention...