• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer weight vs Winter weight NOMEX

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
... Or skip all that and order through the specialized distributors (one of which you can use a MILSTRIP with, whose name I'm forgetting but everyone probably knows the blond rep).
You mean Kara? One of the greatest days of my entire life was when she showed up to a pool party I was attending.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I understand the PRs don't have 'em to issue...I just meant "ask them" what the minimum requirement is, then get one of those via personal purchase.
I'd still favor a fixed blade, especially if you're in ejection seats. Something you can still use one-handed (broken arm, etc.).

I gotcha now. I misunderstood "who" was buying it. The requirement is what I put above. Kmac could just run to the NEX and buy any one of the various SOG/Gerber knives on the shelf and be good.

You mean Kara? One of the greatest days of my entire life was when she showed up to a pool party I was attending.

Yeah, that's her...I think. There's two, but I've only met one of them.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MAY just be me...but I think you're over thinking this. Whatever the "issue" knife in the Supply System is...probably good enough for your immediate needs. Just ask the PRs (if that's what they're still called...) and I know it's avail on-line from hundreds of sources. Then you can do the "sporting life" upgrade at your leisure.
I don't mean to diminish the subject matter at all...the only guy I ever heard of who truly needed it was the pilot I ejected with...so I ain't shitting you when I say i understand it's a serious subject in the long run. I just always flew with the standard thingie I was issued in AOCS...and never had to pull it out. Like this:
http://www.armynavysales.com/products/usaf-pilot-survival-knife/

I bought the Seal Pup Elite because I had to get down to Jax for FCLPs (where I am now) and didn't want to bounce with loaner gear. The "issue" knife for this squadron is the Spyderco Pacific Salt but apparently they are on back order. Since I needed it now, I bought my own because there were zero knives available to give me. If ordering through the supply side were the route of choice, I'd probably be checked out before the knife actually arrived. As for the minimum requirement, I did look at all of the authorized knives (fixed, manual, and auto) but the Navy Exchange (to include the one at Little Creek) only had two of those. My only other place that I tried was Dick's Sporting Goods. I hear what you're saying but I really didn't have time to waste.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
To avoid a headache on yours and your pr's part, if you put a knife on your vest that isn't authorized by NAVAIR or in the SOASI program you will technically have to fly with an additional, authorized, knife to put your vest in a RFI status. If you're down with flying with two knives go for it Rambo but otherwise get an approved knife.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Question for those who have been in the gulf during the winter. My only experiences are those from may through september in that lovely place. How is the weather October through March? I'm getting ready to head back out there and trying to figure out what to throw in the sea bags.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good point. She probably wouldn't mind if I did post pics because they would be extremely flattering for her. Great chick, happy for her on her engagement.

It was Kara. I just got an email from her this week. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to order gear like I used to be. I thought she was married already.

To avoid a headache on yours and your pr's part, if you put a knife on your vest that isn't authorized by NAVAIR or in the SOASI program you will technically have to fly with an additional, authorized, knife to put your vest in a RFI status. If you're down with flying with two knives go for it Rambo but otherwise get an approved knife.

The Seal Pup is authorized, so he should be good.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

This may be the gayest thing I've heard all month.

Not directed at you (unless you believe that's a reasonable requirement), but at NAVAIR.

Has NAVAIR approved my pencil? My watch? My bootlaces? The paper that my kneeboarding cards are made of? Where does it end?

It's a fucking knife. Probably one of the oldest and simplest tools in existence next to the rock, and a direct descendent of the sharp stick.

NAVAIR needs to spend their time, money and effort on stuff that matters.

KBayDog

This may be the gayest thing I've heard all month.

Not directed at you (unless you believe that's a reasonable requirement), but at NAVAIR.

Has NAVAIR approved my pencil? My watch? My bootlaces? The paper that my kneeboarding cards are made of? Where does it end?

It's a fucking knife. Probably one of the oldest and simplest tools in existence next to the rock, and a direct descendent of the sharp stick.

NAVAIR needs to spend their time, money and effort on stuff that matters.

Holy crap - with that Debbie Downer, half-empty, lens of mediocrity attitude, I've got to know: When are you putting in your OCS application?

Because you sure as hell don't sound like someone who's been around Naval Aviation as long as you have. ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

My favorite is FOD walkdown (something I've been in charge of in one form or another several times in my career).

"Empty your pockets!"

"Sir, do you have anything in your pockets?"

"No more than what I take with me when I fly."

"Oh."