• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Jobs for a Rising 1/c

MiddieQ

pilot
Anyone have any ideas about what to do for a summer job in this situation. It's kinda hard knowing that sometime during the summer, you have to leave for one to three weeks for cruise. And if last year was any indication, with 2 days notice. We also have to do physiology training. Not too many employers are willing to look the other way on these breaks. Anyone have any ideas to help me out with how to find a job/what kind of work has best suited you in the past?

ps. I used to be a lifeguard but my certification has since expired so that is out of the question

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I can't think of anything, but please work somewhere that employs lots of hot females, preferably scantily clad. I worked as a mechanic at a motorcycle dealership when I was in college. It was a sausage fest. What a mistake that was.

We need to live vicariously through you. Isn't renewing a lifeguard cert a piece of cake?

Deere1450

pilot
I was lucky enough to have the family farm to fall back on, but I know what you're going through. Not sure where in the country you are, but if I wasn't working on our farm I'd be out looking for another farm/ranch to help out on. Maybe landscaping? Golf course maint? Helping out on a construction site?

If I could do it all over again...Our airport had an A&P (airplane mechanic), and he didn't necessarily need someone helping out in his shop but I know he would have hired me just to make his life a little easier. He wasn't in the best of health and could have used a good helper. Hell, I might have even learned a thing or two.

Then again, finding a job working with a bunch of hotties might be worth more than what you'd be getting paid...call it, "employee benefits".

Just some thoughts. Best of luck finding those babes.

MiddieQ

pilot
ahhh i live on the beaches on new jersey, so getting a beach guard cert where you actually do have to save people isn't the easiest of things, particularly in a short time period when everyone else is looking for the job (it paid $18/hr). It was the best job definitely when it came to girls, but I had to take that damn physics requirement last spring term so i could actually pass it, so i got behind on my certs. and i don't have any ranches to fall back on, nor do I think i have any skills that could be of particular use to a rancher i suppose. Grew up in a very bland suburban area.

cameron172

pilot
I tried my darndest to leverage past relationships with old managers, but it was hard to pull the "I'll work super hard for you, but I need two days off for physiology training, and a month off for summer training but I don't know when yet, and have to go back to school in August." I just moved home for a month and partied with the few friends I still had in town.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
ahhh i live on the beaches on new jersey, so getting a beach guard cert where you actually do have to save people isn't the easiest of things, particularly in a short time period when everyone else is looking for the job (it paid $18/hr). It was the best job definitely when it came to girls, but I had to take that damn physics requirement last spring term so i could actually pass it, so i got behind on my certs. and i don't have any ranches to fall back on, nor do I think i have any skills that could be of particular use to a rancher i suppose. Grew up in a very bland suburban area.

What about pool guard? Not as glamorous, the pay isn't as good, but it's easy work and puts some spending money in your pocket.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Do something where you make some decent scratch so you can party hard senior year. I worked as a roofer. It was hard work but we got to drink on the job (take that OSHA!) and I made decent money.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I found a job where I didnt mind burning any bridges. I worked at Best Buy, which wasnt horrible, and then told them after about 6 weeks that I got called from the IRR. Which IIRC NROTC Mids are technically IRR. I never went back to that job, but had already made a little cash.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Huh. Generally when you're called up, it's as a SELRES and not from IRR. I don't know the instruction/law well enough, but it makes me wonder if a Mid could claim protection when they have to go on cruise.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, pretty much need to find a temp work kind of situation from someone who gets it, probably someone who knows you/your family. Only summer job I ever managed in NROTC was for a month after CORTRAMID. One of my mother's clients needed an office temp/secretary kind of gig for a little, so I did that for $10/hour. I had tried to go back to the pizza place I worked in high school, but they weren't interested in me working for such a short time.

GoPack3790

pilot
Waiting tables is an easy way to make some money as long as you aren't like Melvin from Office Space. That's what I did every summer and its great because you walk out of every shift with cash in hand. It makes it even easier to spend on beer since the money is just burning a hole in your pocket.