• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Internship

just2bduckie

Okay, so I'm not in the program yet. I'm still gathering everything I need for the package to be sent in, which will hopefully be at the end of this month. In getting ready and trying to ask intelligent questions...what is the rule for taking an internship in the summer while in BDCP?
I'm trying for the Cryptography field. I am a prior IT1(SW) with 13 years in, including a trip to Iraq as an IA, like a lot of other fine folks. The internship, if I get picked up for it, is at the National Security Agency (NSA) next summer for 12 weeks, which is also a part of my academic program (i.e. pick any two classes from the 300-500 level courses, this is a 575 course).
At first I was told I didn't have to take any summer courses, then I was told that may not be the case. Anyone have any hard and fast instruction to guide me? Thanks for the help in advance.

Andy

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Best thing to do would be to talk to whoever's handling your app. They should know. Off hand, in my limited experience in recruiting (4 weeks total), I've seenone person try to take an internship doing BDCP. There was absolutely no issue with him doing it, especially as it was a req. for his degree.

Kycntryboy

pilot
...what is the rule for taking an internship in the summer while in BDCP?
It doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't interfere with you doing course work you can have one (you don't need to take summer classes in BDCP, I took some however to graduate on time and make my senior year easier). With your situation it really shouldn't matter because it is for your degree... To my knowledge there is no form or anything to fill out to "Ok" an internship, however you will probably have to update your past employment page.
Clay

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kyntryboy is correct. You will file a degree completion plan with your BDCP app. If that doesn't call for summer classes, then your summer is free to do what ever you want. In your case, if an internship is required over a summer, NSA or otherwise, then just list the intern program on your DCP. In any case, you are good to go. No special permission required. Just stay in touch with your recruiter as required by regs. A phone call from VA is enough.