• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of the RAG (FRS)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, I am about to head to VT-86, and im still not solid on whether I want to point towards the ECMO route (growlers) or the WSO route (rhinos). I have heard from 1 single seat guy that it would be in my best interest to head to the growler, but thats just one opinion. Either way, it looks like -18s at this point, hopefully. Any inside info from either community? Any little bit would help. Thanks in advance.

Don't rule the Prowler out yet. There's still a chance that you could do your first fleet tour in an EA-6, as they'll be around until 2012-2013 timeframe. By the time you're done at 86, the first Growler squadron will not yet have finished its transition (won't even start until next spring) - food for thought.

Brett

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Sounds good. Thanks again. Just focusing on getting thru right now, but trying to think ahead to.

Learn the T39, build your RN & LL charts, and don't screw up the comms. You'll learn the rest just by talking to your instructors on some of the longer transits. I'm sure that would be a good head start for now. At least you don't just have PFPS (it's all JMPS now, isn't it?)

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
oh, i see, falconview? i used that in the fleet before I went officer. good stuff. i think its still falconview from what ive heard.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
oh, i see, falconview? i used that in the fleet before I went officer. good stuff. i think its still falconview from what ive heard.

I remember hearing something about switching to jmps about the time I finished my last charts here, but that was ~ last november.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
There's a few things you still use Falconview for now... but JMPS is the program of choice largely b/c you can jam it directly into the jet's mission computers (so the route you planned on your laptop magically appears in all your displays, in layman's terms).

Arkansas-- while the single-seat guys may be able to offer a lot in terms of specific knowledge of the jet, I would pay little to no attention to what they say about your role as a WSO in the -18. I could go on and on about this... but really.. they're happy flying by themselves in the Hornet. You won't convince them otherwise.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
Arkansas-- while the single-seat guys may be able to offer a lot in terms of specific knowledge of the jet, I would pay little to no attention to what they say about your role as a WSO in the -18. I could go on and on about this... but really.. they're happy flying by themselves in the Hornet. You won't convince them otherwise.

It's funny because it is true...