• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of the RAG (FRS)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anybody gonna do this type of post for Prowler-types?

I could give it a try, but it's been a while since the RAG for me, although I could certainly give you a general idea of what to expect. Maybe a current stud could step into the breech.

Brett

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
No, the F-14 had two RAGs as well at one point... VF-101 on the East Coast and VF-124 on the West Coast.

VFA-106 is one squadron in name only, really... the C/D side and the E/F side have a separate set of instructors, OPS, Training, Maintenance and everything... just one CO...

Why we couldn't have just been VFA-101...

maybe cause there is a VMFAT-101, marine rag.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
maybe cause there is a VMFAT-101, marine rag.

Nope, there was a VF-101 for quite some time.

It has more to do with the seemingly peculiar way that OPNAV and NMPC do business. Originally, it was thought that the West coast RAG (122) could handle the job, but aircraft began arriving in advance of aircrews trained to fly it so the issue of an East Coastg RAG was revisited, but it was easier to create/grow a separate "entity" under VFA-106 than try to convert VF-101 into VFA-101. The policy and dynamics of creating UIC and assigning/reassigning billets has unique strictures known and understood well only by those who have "peddled flesh" inside their inner sanctums.

It is a shame from historical sense that the heritage of the Grim Reapers does not have a continuing legacy. It was born in battle in the early days of World War II flying the F4F Wildcat under command of "Jimmy" Flatley whose son* and grandson also became fighter pilots and wore the Grim Reaper patch during their careers.

vf101-b_insig.jpg

*The infamous recurring AW thread topic of the C-130 landing on USS Forrestal features Flatley (the son) doing his thing

Pags

N/A
pilot
*The infamous recurring AW thread topic of the C-130 landing on USS Forrestal features Flatley (the son) doing his thing

Was wondering if there was the same Flatley from WWII, a relation, or just a coincidence. thanks for clearing it up.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was wondering if there was the same Flatley from WWII, a relation, or just a coincidence. thanks for clearing it up.

My pleasure. Quite a family. The grandson, "Seamus" was skipper of the Black Knights (VF-154) who got to take his Tomcats ashore in support of Special Ops.

In 2003, VF-154 made their last F-14 cruise, which was in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and as part of CVW-5 aboard USS Kitty Hawk. USS Kitty Hawk arrived on station on February 26 and CVW-5 was chosen to be the dedicated Close Air Support wing. VF-154 deployed with 12 F-14A aircraft and detached five F-14As and five air crews to Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar where these F-14s and aircrews worked closely with Royal Air Force Panavia Tornados, USAF F-15Es, F-16CGs and F-16CJs and Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18As. CENTCOM had contacted CVW-5 and specifically asked for the air wing to deploy Forward Air Controller capable Tomcats and crews to support coalition land-based aircraft as well as Special Forces operating inside Iraq. The F-14s were usually paired with the aircraft already deployed to the airbase, dropping bomb themselves or guiding other aircraft bombs. The aircrews would fly daily missions and in one 48 hour period the Black Knights detachment flew 14 sorties totalling 100 hours of flight time. The crews at Al Udeid flew more than 300 combat hours and delivered 50 000 pounds of ordnance, (98 GBU-12s) during the 21 day stay at the airbase.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
The Prowler RAG for ECMOs (in a nutshell)....... learn how to exploit the electro-magnetic spectrum, jam enemy radars/communication, and employ HARM.... all to protect the strike/fighter guys so they can do there job. Like the other RAGs, the tactics are dumbed down a bit. It's all Secret or above so you can never tell anyone what you really do. When you're not flying, you'll spend your days at the RAG locked in a little room with no windows studying with all the classified. You'll get blamed for all instances of comm/radio interference and occassionally your local ATC will accuse you of knocking out the PAR, approach radar, etc. You will ONLY fly with instructor pilots when in the front. When in the back, you will fly with an instructor ECMO for graded events only. Otherwise, you're back there by yourself or another RAG student. Also, you are required to fly a minimum of 30 backseat hours before you start your own graded flights events. Most of the training for the jammers and HARM is done in the sim since it is easier to make scenario, input radar signals, etc. All of the front seat flying is just to get you NATOPS qualified (FAMs, low levels, section hops, BAM) and is only about 16 flights from start to finish. There are also 4 backseat flights to work the jammers, etc.

The Prowler RAG for pilots (in a nutshell)..... learn NATOPS so you can fly the jet and CQ. There is very little tactics at the RAG for pilots. They will get all the tactical stuff in the fleet. Pilots fly with an instructor PILOT up front for the first 8 flights or so. Then they are deemed "SAFE FOR ECMO" and will fly with an instructor ECMO for the remainder of their training. Pilots do the same type of flights as the ECMOs but do them twice. Also, they do 1-2 flights of Aerial Refueling (from F-18s and S-3s mostly), FCLP, and finish with CQ. Pilots are required to fly a minimum of 10 hours in the backseat before starting their graded events.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Why are pilots required to fly 10 hours in the trunk? Is it FO appreciation day or what?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Seriously.. I hear you guys arn't allowed to turn on your gear in the lower 48. Is that true?

Uhh, no. There are restrictions on what you can and can't jam, but that is true everywhere you go. You'll get in just as much trouble for taking down Seattle Center as you would for taking down the AWACS or mother's satcom links. Pilots AND ECMOs rack up hours in back to get a feel for the flow of events during a flight - familiarization, nothing more. It's obviously a luxury the single seat guys don't have, but with many RAG flights not having a dedicated mission or event in back, it's a good opportunity. There is a lot of comm and crew coordination stuff in a 4 man jet and it helps the studs get the jist of it into their tiny little brains.

Brett

jfulginiti

pilot
None
There are electronic warfare ranges around the country that simulate enemy radars and SAMs where we can practice receiving and/or jamming those signals. The jamming clearances are very specific as to what frequency and coverage you can use. They can also give us feedback on our jamming effectiveness. There is the Mid-Atlantic Electronic Warfare Range (MAEWR) operated at Cherry Point, NC. There is a smaller one at Townsend Bombing Range in SC. I think there's one at Fallon or Pt. Mugu.... one of those bases out there in the desert. It's also fun to find and "influence" cell phones and 2 way radios. But that's illegal and I have never done it nor would I consider it.
:icon_smil

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
No, the F-14 had two RAGs as well at one point... VF-101 on the East Coast and VF-124 on the West Coast.

VFA-106 is one squadron in name only, really... the C/D side and the E/F side have a separate set of instructors, OPS, Training, Maintenance and everything... just one CO...

Why we couldn't have just been VFA-101...

Turning the Reapers into a VFA squadron would've been the better Idea rather than combining the Hornet/Rhino RAG in 106. Or at least went thru with the VFA-174 plan.

I've heard Rumors the Omars of VFC-12 will activate & become VFA-12 and take over the C/D FRS role and let 106 be a E/F unit (VFA-87 and -12 just traded Hornets). Anyone in the fleet heard about this? I just heard about it a few days ago.

Adam

sludge31

Not to be a wise guy...but, pilots find out if they will be Echo or Fox drivers a few weeks into the syllabus now. Just FYI.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Even moreso. Now they find out before they ever set foot in the jet.

Isn't that really how it should be? I mean, don't you want to develop good habit patterns that keep you alive? Nothing like sitting in the cockpit and some one starts talking to you and 5 seconds later you remember that there is a WSO in the trunk.

Plus, that guy can start stroking your ego so you don't crash yourself into the ass-end of the ship. At least that's what my fragile id required. One of the best passes I ever flew behind the ship, my RIO, instead of the usual sugary VSI calls just kept saying things like "Yeah, you're the man, work it baby, work it" OK3 no kidding.

Now that I read that after I typed it I realize that guy was hitting on me and I just burped up a little vomit there.:(

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Absolutely... there's so many pilots who came in trained as single-seaters from day 1 and have to be retrained as an F guy. There's enough that has to be taught in the fleet... why does crew coordination have to be one of them???

Yeah, the first job of the WSO is to stroke the pilot's ego... or bribe him with candy. Give him one Reese's in marshal, and promise him more if he gets you safe on deck for midrats :)