• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suggestions for Handgun Newbies

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I've probably mentioned before on the site that I inherited a couple of handguns from my late grandfather. Well, I've finally gotten around to dealing with the hassle of transferring them over to my possession legally and I've run into some issues. I want to be able to keep them locked-up but money's tight so buying a safe is sort of out of the question. What are some good cases and trigger locks? Also, these have been sitting around in the basement of my grandparents' house for Lord knows how many years, would it be a good idea to take them to a gunsmith to have them inspected and cleaned? Also, do you all have any other suggestions for a brand new gun owner?

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Well, I've finally gotten around to dealing with the hassle of transferring them over to my possession legally
Your location says "the south." Where in "the south" are you required to "legally transfer possesion?" If we're in VA, I can sell or give you a gun in a Wal-Mart parking lot as long as you're of age and don't tell me you're a felon.

What are some good cases and trigger locks?
Trigger locks are gay; cable locks that run through the chamber are much more effective. That said, both of those are gay. Get on craigslist and find a lockable metal tool box (which will deter kids and houseguests) and insure your guns through USAA for a near-negligible cost. A determined thief will get through damn near any RSC (residential security container) and the kind of safe that is thief-proof requires being bolted to the floor/wall and takes all of your Marine buddies to move.

would it be a good idea to take them to a gunsmith to have them inspected and cleaned?
Only if you don't know any genuinely gun-savvy friends. Cleaning and inspecting is fairly straightforward. You could google the manuals and do most of it yourself. Fieldstripping is as far as you likely need to go, unless there is more than moderate oxidization or contamination. Hoppe's #9, a rag, a borebrush, and some RemOil, and you're made.

do you all have any other suggestions for a brand new gun owner?
Hell yeah. Clear and safe the weapon (three times; like you're OCD about it.) Then, practice cycling the action and learning the manual of arms for each. Then, get a buddy who goes to the range to go with you, and practice with each. Learn 'em good. See which ones you like best.

Gus Gorilla

+1
Floppy couldn't have addressed it better. A firearm is no mythical creature. It's a combination of simple machines. The only problem from the basement I would forsee is possible corrosion. This is handled by the tools Floppy_D listed. I would only add to the list some 0000 steel wool. The finest you can find. Used lightly it's good for stubborn corrosion.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
[Over a bull horn]

TrrrrrrrrrrEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT every weapon as if it were LOOOOOOAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDEEEEEEEDDDDDD.
Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to SHHHHOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTAAAAHHHHH.
Keepyourfingerstraightandoffthetriggeruntilyouarereadytofire.
Keepyourweapononsafeuntilyou INTEND tofire.

and, know your target and what lies beyond it.

Sorry, range week flashback...

I do suggest that you have someone more knowledgeable than yourself teach you how to shoot. Even just taking a couple of classes and learning proper stance and grip will pay dividends.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
If you want something quick to lock your gun go head to your local police station. A majority carry gun locks and hand them out for free.

Gus Gorilla

That's right. I forgot. Some gun shops hand out the cable versions for free also. Courtesey of the local 5.0
Back home they ask you if you need one at every gun purchase, then throw one in the box anyhow.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Transfer? Huh? Do you live in a commie state?

I live in North Carolina where we're supposed to have a permit for each transfer of arms from one owner to the other, just to ensure that the person taking possession of the firearm is not a felon. It's not that bad, just pay $5, fill out the form, and wait for the background check. I could bypass it by getting my CCW but I don't have the scratch to back the registration and class fees right now.

The reason I want to take them to a gunsmith is because I really don't know what to look for and the last time one of them was cleaned and fired, it misfired. I just want to make sure everything is hunky-dory with the weapons before I start putting rounds through them.

I've got a place relatively close to my house that I was looking into for basic classes and eventually CCW: Shooter's Express. They also offer pretty cheap ($25) inspections/cleanings/etc. If anyone is familiar with the Charlotte area, I'd be interested in any suggestions on places to go.

FlyinRock

Got some good friends in NC who can help you with the care and feeding of your guns. I hate the idea of going thru the "registration and transfer" of guns in the family. It will eventually lead to confiscation I guarantee.
If interested pm me for their contacts.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I live in North Carolina where we're supposed to have a permit for each transfer of arms from one owner to the other, just to ensure that the person taking possession of the firearm is not a felon. It's not that bad, just pay $5, fill out the form, and wait for the background check. I could bypass it by getting my CCW but I don't have the scratch to back the registration and class fees right now.

The reason I want to take them to a gunsmith is because I really don't know what to look for and the last time one of them was cleaned and fired, it misfired. I just want to make sure everything is hunky-dory with the weapons before I start putting rounds through them.

I've got a place relatively close to my house that I was looking into for basic classes and eventually CCW: Shooter's Express. They also offer pretty cheap ($25) inspections/cleanings/etc. If anyone is familiar with the Charlotte area, I'd be interested in any suggestions on places to go.

Firepower in Matthews has a nice indoor range and a good selection of weapons. Most of their people know their trade relatively well (at least for behind the counter gun shop employees) They won't ass-rape you with their prices like Hyatt's and to a lesser degree Shooter's will.

If you need the names of a couple of Charlotte area FFL's that will do transfers for @ $15 bucks let me know.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Dunno where you are in NC, but Davi's up in Raleigh (on the northeast side of town) is a pretty large shop that has an indoor range attached. I used their gunsmith a couple times and was satisfied with their work.

A7Dave

pilot
Just a suggestion. If you don't have the money for a safe, disassemble any of the guns you won't keeping available for use. What exactly did you inherit? If you're unsure how to do it, take them to a good gun store and ask them to break them down. Semi-autos, take the slide off and remove the barrel. Revolvers, take off the cylinders. Store the barrel and cylinder separately from the main components. I do that with any rifle not in my safe. The bolts go in the safe and the (now useless) rifle can stay out, completely safe.

Buy a box of ammo from the store owner and he/she will be happy to help you.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
You don't need a large safe unless you have rifles. If they are just handguns you can get a small Stack On safe. I have a small one that holds a few pistols and it was on $50 or so. Depending on the type of gun there is probably a dedicated forum on the net that can help you out with what issues they are having or can recommend a local, trustworthy smith in your area.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Since I didn't want to start a new thread, here is the current arsenal. I'm hoping that if I'm extra good this year, Santa may grace me with a pistol of the 9mm variety. Anyway, in the pic are a Browning 6mm, Colt M1917 revolver chambered in .45 ACP, and a Colt Combat Commander chambered in .45 ACP. They're all in need of some TLC and thank you everyone for the advice; I've got a family friend who used to shoot competitively with the Army who's going to show me what I need to know to keep these puppies in tip top shape.

2010-12-04_14-04-30_392.jpg