• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suggestions and for the PTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabef18pilot

I have just been appointed physical training instructor (PTI) for the next semester in my NROTC battalion. I was curious what PT is like at some of the other battalions around the country.

What pre-stretches and pre-exercises do you do before battalion PT? How many times a week do you have to PT? What do you do for PT in your battalions?

I am also looking for good ideas so even all of those “not so good” at PT in my battalion receive AT LEAST a good low on the next PRT.

Please feel free to share anything that worked well in your battalion.

Thanks!

wannabef18pilot said:
I have just been appointed physical training instructor (PTI) for the next semester in my NROTC battalion. I was curious what PT is like at some of the other battalions around the country.

What pre-stretches and pre-exercises do you do before battalion PT? How many times a week do you have to PT? What do you do for PT in your battalions?

I am also looking for good ideas so even all of those “not so good” at PT in my battalion receive AT LEAST a good low on the next PRT.

Please feel free to share anything that worked well in your battalion.

Thanks!

So you guys have mando PT?
We didn't...only PTI duty was during O-week.

But if you DID screw up, then you'd end up on mando remedial PT with the gunny. Stretches, daily 7, then it's off to gunny's next project. Circuit training, weights, long runs, whatever.

Your AMOI would probably have the best advice...

wannabef18pilot

vegita1220 said:
So you guys have mando PT?
We didn't...only PTI duty was during O-week.

But if you DID screw up, then you'd end up on mando remedial PT with the gunny. Stretches, daily 7, then it's off to gunny's next project. Circuit training, weights, long runs, whatever.

Your AMOI would probably have the best advice...

Yes, we have battalion PT once a week and two more PT sessions for the midshipmen that do not meet at least the good low standards in every category. PTI organizes the PT sessions with the gunny in our battalion.

helobex

we are required to PT mininum of 3 times a week with the bn...usually a "motivational run" or anywhere from 3-5 miles in formation...stretches before and after...usually a few push up/sit up reps before our concluding stretch...and sometimes pull ups. thats the normal...other days we do stations which are 1) sprints up stairs, push ups or sit ups at top and bottom going for a few minutes straight 2) ab work out 3) pull ups sets increasing and in between push ups...or we do a 5 mile beach run...so yea...hope that helps...torture ur midn like they do us! itll only make them stronger! btw, we dont have any failures on the PFT!!!

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
helobex said:
we are required to PT mininum of 3 times a week with the bn...usually a "motivational run" or anywhere from 3-5 miles in formation...stretches before and after...usually a few push up/sit up reps before our concluding stretch...and sometimes pull ups. thats the normal...other days we do stations which are 1) sprints up stairs, push ups or sit ups at top and bottom going for a few minutes straight 2) ab work out 3) pull ups sets increasing and in between push ups...or we do a 5 mile beach run...so yea...hope that helps...torture ur midn like they do us! itll only make them stronger! btw, we dont have any failures on the PFT!!!

I just had a good laugh, you can proably guess who i am but i have no clue who you are helobex. When i saw this thread, i thought this would be a good laugh due to the fact that our unit does crazy pt sessions. I read the other ones and could see how boring they were and when i read this one i said nobody could match our motivation (i guess that is what i will call it), and then i saw daytona beach location and must be ERAU NROTC.

OH YEAH!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
A little advice based on what I have seen over zealous midshipman do in the past. I am in no way implying that you will be like or think like this, just passing on some gouge.

I am assuming, since you were given the billet, that you enjoy working out more than the average person. Good on you! However, realize that not everyone lives, breathes, sleeps and dreams about PT. The Navy/NROTC standards are just that... THE STANDARDS... do not be that midshipman who tries to put together a huge workout program so that the entire battalion can train to max the PRT. While training to do so is a very good thing, some people will defenetly feel like they have more pressing issues to tend to in college than going to a motto/mando PT session put on by another midshipman.

My advice, do something that people will enjoy and benefit from.

Good luck and congrats on your billet.

I too am PTI at my unit for the fall semester. We are also called "First Sergeants" and have other collateral duties....fun stuff!

I've always thought the interval workout was a good one...that is...

sprint a quarter lap...jog about a half lap...
sprint a half lap...jog another half...
sprint 3/4's lap...jog another half...
sprint 1 whole lap...jog another half...
then go back down...3/4's, 1/2, 1/4...and then up again.

....set up a pace for each ability group...those on the faster side would have a goal of 9:00 or so for the 1.5 mile run...split that into quarter lap times...half lap times....3/4 lap times and ...1 whole lap times and then make sure everyone runs their quarter/half/three quarter/whole lap in their "goal" time for each evolution.

It's a good workout and really helps with improving one's 1.5 mile...

gives people an idea of what a 9 minute or 10 and a 1/2 minute or whatever pace feels like...that way when they run it during the mocks (which we have once a month) and for real, they know what they need to be doing to get that time. Great workout.

Make sense? :D

Last semester was mando pt 3 days a week, with FEP (Fitness Enhancement Program) going an extra day on Tuesdays....so that was 3 days for everyone and 4 for those folks that needed improvement. We also have uped standards for everyone...you have to get a good medium on the test in order to not go on FEP. I think that may be uped to good high for next semester

Luckily, the first thing the oncoming staff did was knock pt back down to 2 mando's a week, but keep FEPer's going 2 extra days for 4 total.

Got a couple other good workouts...if you want some more ideas...holla back!

jai5w4

wannabef18pilot

Thanx for the replies. Thats cool you guys at ERAU have mando PT 4x a week. To be honest I wouldn't have expected that from an engineering school. maybe i should have started out there :icon_wink

Although I would like to see everyone max out the PRT, I just need to ensure everyone gets at least a "good low". So I guess I am trying to find that balance between not killing everyone while ensuring that the few numbers of slackers pass.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Something else to think about... Those slackers that may not pass... It is not your job to ensure that they pass, but mearly to provide them with the tools to succeed if they want to do so... They are training to be officer's and should not need someone else to make them pass the PRT.

Just provide the opportunity. Also something else you may want to try. Have optional PT sessions along with mando ones. That way the real moto crowd can go be moto together and if someone who is struggling wants extra help, then they will be able to receive it.

helobex

mules83 said:
I just had a good laugh, you can proably guess who i am but i have no clue who you are helobex. When i saw this thread, i thought this would be a good laugh due to the fact that our unit does crazy pt sessions. I read the other ones and could see how boring they were and when i read this one i said nobody could match our motivation (i guess that is what i will call it), and then i saw daytona beach location and must be ERAU NROTC.

OH YEAH!

i cant believe you dont know who this is...lol...*shakes head*...hell yea we are motivated, wouldnt have it any other way!

and yes def have extra sessions more than required...to clarify, we have 5 opportunities a week and must go to 3 (thursday is our only must so we can all muster together for admin and what not)

snizo

Supply Officer
Something else to think about... Those slackers that may not pass... It is not your job to ensure that they pass, but mearly to provide them with the tools to succeed if they want to do so... They are training to be officer's and should not need someone else to make them pass the PRT.

Of course ... you can take the credit if the battalion does well overall. ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
bch said:
My advice, do something that people will enjoy and benefit from.

Good luck and congrats on your billet.

but for fvck's sake, don't do something lame like dodgeball. don't waste people's time by making them get up early in the morning and then making them play a silly game when that time could be better used for something else, like a decent workout.

and i'm gonna agree with BCH, no point in beating everyone to death that's meeting the standards. we aren't all SEALS, nor do we want to be.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Penn State:
Remedial: M, W, F 0530-0700 (mock PFA every other Friday..used as a guage..track the info)
All Hands: T 0530-0700
Marine PT: M & Th 0530-0700

For your Remedial PT Program, the best way to ensure everyone passes (Especially for your FAT BODIES & RUN failures) is to run, run and run. Vary the runs (ie: Monday have them run for 50 minutes {S L O W Run}, Wednesday do fast runs, and Friday do fast/slow runs...one lap as fast as they can and 2 laps slow), do the warm-up/down stretches, and do the daily seven (S/U, P/U, etc). Make it fun....make it a competition. By all means, work with your MOI and AMOI to create a GOAL and a Plan of Action and Milestones. Good luck....and don't forget to use your assistant...You'll get burned out if you do all the work yourself.....
just a few sugestions....
ea6bflyr

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Our PT is changing this year, but I can tell you what it was and will be:

This past year was contingent upon an Inventory PRT at the beginning of each semester: In addition to mando Plt PT, there were different PT classes (either running or upper body run by some PT stud upperclassmen) that people could sign up for... so, if someone got an outstanding, they were only required to go to the Plt PT, if they got an Excellent, they would have to go to one PT class, if they got a Good, they would have to go to two, and if they didn't make Good Low, they would have to go to three... People were also expected to PT on their own beyond that.

Next year we have inventory PRTs and two mando Plt PT's and then, depending on how well one does on the inventory, we'll have remedial PT in addition to Plt PT.

Both seem to work well, but the whole PT class thing works better in fitting into people's schedules because one can sign up for when they know they are free...

Good luck :) LG

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Pags said:
but for fvck's sake, don't do something lame like dodgeball. don't waste people's time by making them get up early in the morning and then making them play a silly game when that time could be better used for something else, like a decent workout.
Hey man don't knock dodgeball. The Marine CO at my unit actually had us play that every now and then for BN PT. :eek: But then we had mando BN PT 3 days a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.