• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Subspecialties from prior education

DiscoSpud

Good evening, all.

I’m a recent 1835 select.

I realize that it may be silly to wonder about subspecialties before I have even been gained into my unit, but I have started delving into regulations to get acquainted with my new service and am curious.

Prior to joining the USNR, I earned a master’s degree from a program that the Navy authorized for a subspecialty designation.

My main question is if that will still count for me, since it was completed prior to joining the USNR? Do I just work with my unit to submit the proof of graduation to the listed subspecialty SME, the same as if it was earned during service?

Can non-medical SELRES officers even have subspecialties on their record since SELRES billets are limited to medical subspecialties?

Do I need to wait until I am a qualified IWO before I can submit for the subspecialty? Or can I knock it out with the rest of the impending N1 efforts to synch my prior service record with the USNR system?

Thank you in advance.

RJS

No, about subspecialties: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Reference/MILPERSMAN/1000/1200Classification/1214-010.pdf?ver=PlGcIQ15CIWj-HJrg77VJw==

Perhaps they are a type of AQD, but I am under the impression they are separate classification codes:

- Billet and officer designator codes
- Subspecialty codes
- Navy Officer Billet Classification (NOBC) codes
- Additional Qualification Designation (AQD) codes
I believe they are one in the same as @AllAmerican75 has referred them to being AQDs. This was something I was curious about as well considering that I work in one of the Supply Corps Lines of Operations (Acquisition and Contracting). This is from the MyNavyHR webpage and has a FAQs section:

Our office processes officer academic transcripts and certifications, awards X000P-coded subspecialties for accredited master-level degrees and enters the following Additional Qualification Designators: JP1, JP2, JP3, JPN, JPM, JOM, BR0, BR1, BR2, BR3, and BR4.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

DiscoSpud

Just curious...what's the degree in?
Strategic Intelligence.

I believe they are one in the same as @AllAmerican75 has referred them to being AQDs. This was something I was curious about as well considering that I work in one of the Supply Corps Lines of Operations (Acquisition and Contracting). This is from the MyNavyHR webpage and has a FAQs section:

Our office processes officer academic transcripts and certifications, awards X000P-coded subspecialties for accredited master-level degrees and enters the following Additional Qualification Designators: JP1, JP2, JP3, JPN, JPM, JOM, BR0, BR1, BR2, BR3, and BR4.

I hope this helps.
I believe those AQDs mentioned there can be earned through graduate level education similar to SSPs, hence why they can be entered by sending transcripts in. All the SSP codes I have seen are 4 numeric digits, as opposed to the listed AQDs

NAVPERS 15839I shows them as discrete codes, with AQDs being codes not included with the other types of codes.

I very easily could be misinterpreting the regs, though. Just trying to understand it.

2. NOOCS Subsystems / Code Structures.

a. The Designator/Grade structure consists of designators and grades that provide a framework for officer career development and promotion. This structure is the primary administrative means for classifying, identifying and documenting officer manpower resources and requirements.

(1) The Designator (DESIG) structure identifies primary specialty qualifications, associated legal and specialty categories and competitive categories for promotion.

(2) The Grade (GR) structure identifies occupational levels associated with the scale of naval officer paygrade and rank.

b. The Subspecialty (SSP) structure identifies post graduate education (or equivalent training and/or experience) in various fields and disciplines.

c. The Navy Officer Billet Classification (NOBC) structure functionally describes general occupational duties.

d. The Additional Qualification Designation (AQD) structure identifies additional qualifications and skills not included in the other code structures.

Reactions: RJS

RJS

Strategic Intelligence.

I believe those AQDs mentioned there can be earned through graduate level education similar to SSPs, hence why they can be entered by sending transcripts in. All the SSP codes I have seen are 4 numeric digits, as opposed to the listed AQDs

NAVPERS 15839I shows them as discrete codes, with AQDs being codes not included with the other types of codes.

I very easily could be misinterpreting the regs, though. Just trying to understand it.
? There's so much to learn. I am in the same boat with just trying to understand how things work and not just to get by with the information given.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The Navy Officer Occupational Classification System consists of 4 parts:

1) Designator / Grade
2) Subspecialty (SSP) - identifies post graduate education or significant experience. By definition, a Master's Degree rates a SSP.
(2000 series is Political Science, 3000 series is Management, 4000 is Applied Sciences, etc)
3) Naval Officer Billet Code (NOBC) - General occupational duties (8696 is NATOPS officer, 8675 is dept head, etc)
4) Additional Qualifications and Skills (AQD) - (1315 is the designator for SelRes naval aviator but the AQD is refined DV-3 is H-60F, DJ4 is P-3, etc)

RJS

1) Designator / Grade
2) Subspecialty (SSP) - identifies post graduate education or significant experience. By definition, a Master's Degree rates a SSP.
(2000 series is Political Science, 3000 series is Management, 4000 is Applied Sciences, etc)
3) Naval Officer Billet Code (NOBC) - General occupational duties (8696 is NATOPS officer, 8675 is dept head, etc)
4) Additional Qualifications and Skills (AQD) - (1315 is the designator for SelRes naval aviator but the AQD is refined DV-3 is H-60F, DJ4 is P-3, etc)
Thanks for this breakdown @Randy Daytona. Much appreciated.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Can you provide more information about yourself and the degree? Are you prior service? What and where was the degree?

For example, not knowing your situation, there have been Congressional staffers who completed Naval War College Fleet Seminar Program prior to commissioning as an ENS. In this situation, they can be awarded JPME I credit but do not get any retirement points/ service credit for it. They also have to be proactive and update their PERS records separately, because the Navy doesn’t do that for you.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

1) Designator / Grade
No worries.

I’m retired so you probably want to ask someone current on the reserves (paging Flash or Nittany) but I remember the main instruction manual for the reserves being BUPERSINST 1001.39F. It is a big manual (about 250 pages) that should answer most of your questions.

DiscoSpud

Can you provide more information about yourself and the degree? Are you prior service? What and where was the degree?

For example, not knowing your situation, there have been Congressional staffers who completed Naval War College Fleet Seminar Program prior to commissioning as an ENS. In this situation, they can be awarded JPME I credit but do not get any retirement points/ service credit for it. They also have to be proactive and update their PERS records separately, because the Navy doesn’t do that for you.
- Undgrad: BS Computer Science
- Prior Active Army enlisted infantryman
- Prior Army Reserve enlisted all source intelligence analyst
- Civilian job: Systems engineer with a defense contractor, working on research programs. Not a federal employee
- Grad School: MA Strategic Intelligence and Analysis from Northeastern University 2020
- USNR 1835 accession: 2022

At the time I completed my MA degree, the curriculum was reviewed by OPNAV N2/N6C and granted a 2400 Subspecialty in Strategic Intelligence to graduates.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
- Undgrad: BS Computer Science
- Prior Active Army enlisted infantryman
- Prior Army Reserve enlisted all source intelligence analyst
- Civilian job: Systems engineer with a defense contractor, working on research programs. Not a federal employee
- Grad School: MA Strategic Intelligence and Analysis from Northeastern University 2020
- USNR 1835 accession: 2022

At the time I completed my MA degree, the curriculum was reviewed by OPNAV N2/N6C and granted a 2400 Subspecialty in Strategic Intelligence to graduates.

More than likely you will just need to ensure that your MA degree is entered into your record and call the pertinent PERS office to assign you a subspecialty based upon the degree. I got my MS through NPS so it just got automatically entered into my record.