• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sub school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Ruben2

I tried posting this on another, less popular forum; maybe someone can help here...

There seems to be limited info on the internet about Submarine Officer School (SOBC). Can anyone share some information about the course? What types of things do you do? What is the daily schedule like? Do you get any free time? What types of personal belongings should you bring?

I have found the SOBC Introduction page at:

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/newlondn/sobcintro.htm

but that provides limited information, primarily focusing on living quarters.

MR

Bevo16

pilot
I was stationed in Groton in 1997-98 and went through BESS and MM-A back before I got picked up for ROTC. After I got picked up, I worked for the student control officer and got to deal with the SOBC guys some. I did not pay a lot of attention to their specific classes, but this is the basics.

You are going to learn all the non-nuke parts of the sub. Communications, oxygen generation, diesel engines, hydrolics, air compressors, weapons systems, etc will all be covered. You will also learn damage control, and you will probably get a chance to go through the wet trainer and the escape trunk.

I know that pretty much all of the nuggetts up there were pretty happy to be out of nuke school. They did not have to put in anywhere near the hours that they did in nuke school. They all had to walk past my barracks to get to and from their school house form the "Susse Chalet", so I know that they pretty much always were done by 1600-1630. They wear kakkies, for a normal work day, so take plenty of those. It also gets damn cold up there, so bring plenty of warm civilian clothes for your time on lib.

Have you gone to nuke school yet? You should have plenty of other bubble heads to get info from during your time in that pipeline. They should be able to give you all of the information that you want. If you don't find the answers that you want from them, call the officer schools coordinator at (860) 694-2170. They will be able to put you in touch with someone who can answer your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.