• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sub officer to Astronaut

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Kayla Barron, USNA grad, Cambridge scholar, and fully warfare qualified submarine officer, joins the astronaut corps.

Part of the same incoming class as a Navy SEAL with an MD from Harvard (who served under Jocko in TU Bruiser in Ramadi, 2006) and a Marine cobra driver with an aerospace engineering degree from MIT, among other hyper talented individuals. So, the DoN is well represented.

taxi1

pilot
I’m glad that NASA was her fallback in case the Navy didn’t work out. ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting that she was selected by NASA during her first shore tour. I suspect that most of the aviators are selected as much more senior officers.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I understand the SEAL...you might need to punch ET in the face...but isn’t a submariner’s focus the opposite direction of space?

Just kidding...I am in awe of these highly educated and talented people. I hope they all make a trip to space.

Notanaviator

Contributor
I understand the SEAL...you might need to punch ET in the face...but isn’t a submariner’s focus the opposite direction of space?

I am fully cognizant of the overlap in skill sets between the submariner and astronaut... because the shared “man I hope this thing holds up because the outside will kill us pretty quick if it doesn’t” aspect of both gives me the heebie jeebies.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
They'd probably have a leg up with long cords on space walks, but you'd also have to account for the penises etched on the ISS.
...and “yellow“ water bottles floating in space.