• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Su-57 convertible

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
But the Russians were the first to put a ballistic missile on a sub with the Zulu and Golf boats

Right but as a competing design to huge cruise missiles and nuke land attack torpedoes to hit the shore. T-15 Project looked in 1950 more promising than any missiles. After all we didn't have both carrier fleet and crazy carrier admirals who saved the carriers with help of A-bomb.

Max the Mad Russian

The Soviets didn’t put a teardrop hull in the water until the Bravo in the 1960’s.

Novembers, or Project 627s, were the first really drop-shaped boats, at least in the bow part. Delaying was not due to technology gap but for fear such sub couldn't operate in the icey waters, which Russians have a lot till today:p

Max the Mad Russian

Generally, the strong sticking of Soviet Navy with the submarines after 1945 is not just direct legacy of Kriegsmarine experience but also a result of huge overclaims Soviet boat skippers reported during the war. Reportedly effectiveness of their torpedo attacks in Baltic, Black, Barentz and Norway seas were of about 62% for entire war duration, and no one was careful enough to check it by Axis sources after the war. It was not until 1990 to 2006 when this boring work had been done and result shows slightly more than 16%. During 1945-1992 Soviet Navy spent for submarine service about the same money USN spent for carrier fleet for the same time period. This is the price for failure to gather hundred historians and pay them average salary for several years of breathing by archives' dust. While nowadays Russian powers are extremely reluctant to confess that "all bets on the black boats" was a huge mistake, facts are telling definitely this.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Come one, let's not be naive. Another major reason designs looked similar is because designs were being stolen. Of course if you don't have the whole picture, you have to fill in the gaps, which I'm sure is why the details are different.

And the French/Germans. I still have no freaking clue which way I'm supposed to move the trim now until I start to move it and see if it's going the way I want it. It works, just not what I'm used to.
For sure there was espionage/intellectual theft going on such as the A-bomb and the Tu-4. And I don't know where the espionage begins and where the inevitable similarities in design begin. At some point if both countries are trying to solve the same problem the math is the same and differences will be driven by available tech, resources, doctrine, and culture.

As a reverse Tu-4, LM bought a bunch of intellectual property from the Yak-141 during F-35 development.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At some point if both countries are trying to solve the same problem the math is the same and differences will be driven by available tech, resources, doctrine, and culture.
coughBurancough

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
"Please hold this clipboard and point at the bow sir.......and technician, grab a screwdriver and screw the screws into the top that are there because people like to see more screws that are already screwed in getting more screwed"
What can I say? Engineers.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What can I say? Engineers.
Nah, that picture was deemed up by marketing/PR types. If those are actual engineers and techs and not actors then they're annoyed at having to talk to other people, do something other than engineering work, and get dressed up.