• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Su-37 Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Haskin

quote:
After reading these post I learned a few things, most importantly: If you mess with Randy Haskin he will tear you a new one.

I didn't mean to come off sounding that aggressive...I was anchored defensive, so I put my lift vector on the bandit and broke into him. :) I just simply wanted to point out what I thought were a few inaccuracies, not personally insult anyone.

ASUPilot

Randy,

Not to massage your ego (LOL) but keep up the good work. It is always interesting to watch you point out the discrepancies in various posts. Maybe if the flying gig doesn't work out you could get a position with the Brookings Institute or with the Boyd Group...

ASUPilot (Hayden)

Dave Shutter

Randy...

Wow, that's the kind of info I wish I had access to, I quess some of that is out there if you only go digging deep enough, but at my end (for the time being) I'm afraid my info is limited mostly to what's on the shelf down at B&N. A lot of what I've read though about the various Flanker models performance lately has been a little contradictory. Hard to put a finger on what's genuine or not without any firsthand experience so I quess I'll drop the Flanker talk. Regardless of how you feel about the products of the Russian Aerospace industry, you have to admit that a whole different level of propaganda exists when it comes to them releasing info on their wares. One final point though, and I think the "real fighter pilots" have to agree; yes the acrobatic abilities of the 711 are amazing, but until it can do all those tricks with a decent load of fuel and a couple missles hanging underneath, (ie: a real combat situation) I don't think I'll be truly impresseed.

BTW: has anyone else ever seen that Discovery show on advanced planes with the experimental F-16 that had the wiggley thrust vector nozzle?

D

Randy Haskin

quote:
Wow, that's the kind of info I wish I had access to, I quess some of that is out there if you only go digging deep enough, but at my end (for the time being) I'm afraid my info is limited mostly to what's on the shelf down at B&N.

While I do spend time in the vault studying the real juicy classified intel info that all active fighter drivers (regardless of service) have access to, I would never come close to discussing anything here (or anywhere else on the internet) that isn't available in open-source (unclassified commercial) materials. These days there's so much openness coming from the Former Soviet Republics that a lot of information that would have been sensitive intel info in the past is available right on the net, in reputable magazines, or in recent books (just look at all those guys who have paid 10 grand to go actually *fly* the things in Russia). Jane's has especially been able to exploit this lately. Such is the power of the dollar, I suppose.

That being said, there's also a lot of good info coming my way from guys who have actually been there; one guy who's actually flown the airplane and a couple of others who have actually flown against them. There have been at least two "exchanges" between the F-15E community and an Su-27 base in the Ukraine -- one where we took a couple jets to the Ukraine and another where a couple of FLANKERS came here to good ol' US soil at Seymour Johnson. That was before my time at SJ, so I didn't see or do any of it myself, but I've read all the debriefing reports as well as talking to the dudes who *were* there and *did* experience these things.

While neither of us were showing off the "really good stuff" to the other guys, actually getting hands-on experience goes a long way to cutting the propaganda BS that both sides are so good at producing.

Certain other things, such as the cost of operating ex-Soviet fighters over the long term and their relative unreliability, are well documented. FULCRUMs are in service all over the world, including "friendly" service with Germany, so it's no secret that it's tough to keep these things flying. It's also no secret that overall they're less reliable than their western-built counterparts. This is why Germany's planning on getting rid of it's MiG-29s in favor of the Eurofighter.

I'll admit also that the Russians have designed jets that are "rugged" and designed to operate from unimproved environments, and that's a definite benefit. US jets have not been designed to do this because the mission they were built for does not involve them taking off from impromptu or covert highway airstrips or dirt fields. Our doctrine is more "power projection" oriented, hence the emphasis on air refueling, etc.

So, again, all that being said, I'll repeat that the current 4th generation Russian fighters are formidible threats that cannot be ignored or discounted. In the hands of experienced pilots and flying the right tactics, they are at best equal to current front-line fighter units.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I was thinking, whith just about everything on sale in the former soveit union from subs to jets. I was wondering if anyonw in our serviece has thought about buy some russian jets for our advicrey units.?? that is of course assumeing that they will sale the thing to us.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Wow, first let me say that this mud Marine intends to stay out of that cat fight. I don't care who your fighting or what your fighting all I know is that you feel incredibly helpless at the sight of your first smoke plume coming off the ground. After you "notch" the incoming and realize with a cold sweat that this friggin things coming at me, all you can think is that this just became the fastest jet in the world. Then you pray that your ordi's installed your "buckets" properly.
Falcaner, we do own soviet aircraft and fight our own. I will not say anymore about that topic. We also rent them. I just flew with a Captain that owns two "Fishbeds" and he leases himself and the aircraft to fight our jets. There is an old USAF base (name escapes me)north of Dallas that has a flight line that looks like a Soviet AFB. I never been there but I've seen his pictures and it is quite impressive. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

I mentioned this earlier, I read an article that we had just bought 21 MIG-29's (I think from Poland?) One, to be used as lawn decoration on an AF base somewhere. Frumby...can you dig up the name of that Base with all the Russian birds, I'd like to see if they have a site with pics.

D

Randy Haskin

quote:
I mentioned this earlier, I read an article that we had just bought 21 MIG-29's (I think from Poland?) One, to be used as lawn decoration on an AF base somewhere.

They were purchased from Moldovia. The static display one is at Wright Patterson; there's also one at Goodfellow AFB in Texas and one at Nellis.

quote:
Frumby...can you dig up the name of that Base with all the Russian birds, I'd like to see if they have a site with pics.

I think he's referring to Navy Fort Worth, which used to be called Carswell AFB. That's where LM builds the F-16...

Dave Shutter

That was cool, but my favorite is still the "controlled 180" going nose on to the chase plane at it's 6'clock, right in it's gun-cam (not where you want to be, but still)it only took about a secod too.

Do you remember what they called it? I've been doing searches for it for weeks?

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 05/14/2001 15:02:13

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry guys, just got back from a trip and haven't been able to post. I'll find out the name of the airport, not base, it's civilian. Just north of Dallas. I do believe it was an old AFB but its not Carswell. Pretty sure this was probably a OLF for Carswell though. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Walker

Dave ,
I don't remember what they called it, but I'm sure They will show that program again, that was the second time I saw it.

Molnija

Su-37 is THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!

HI!
I am from EUROPE. Su-37 is the best jet on the world! This jet can make unbelievable manoeuvres. If somebody from you know, what is AOA-Angle of attack. I can write to you some MAXIMUM AOAs of your AMERICAN JETS:
F-14: 20°, F-15: 25°, F-16: 26°, F-18: 25°, F-22: 70°
These AOAs are approximately MAXIMUM AOAs of yours best jets.

Now I write MAXIMUM AOAs of Russian jets: MIG-21: 23°, MIG-23 MLD: 25°, MIG-29: 35°-40° in cobra man. 90°, MIG-1.42: 70-90°, Su-27: 40° in cobra more than 100°, Su-35: 40°-120°, Su-37: in some manoeuvres more than 120°!!!!!

If you think that your jets are the best I can just smile :icon_mi_1 americans jets are 7-10 years behind rus-jets. If you want compare performance F-15 the same as MIG-21, MIG-23MLD,....
Su-37 is expensive????????????? and what's your F-22, ONE jet cost:200$ milion dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is not EXPENSIVE??????? 200 000 000$???
Su-27, Su-35, Su-37, Su-30 MKI these jets are the BEST ON THE WORLD, that is not fiction but the REAL FACT!!!!! I know personaly some jet.pilots and I can you explain some gun dogfight and SPECIAL unbelievable monoeuvres of Su-37 which can use in dogfight! YOU don't know how fast can accelerate Su-37, with AL-41 Lyulka-Saturn devilishly FAST!!! Now Su-37 has AL-37FU L-S, but in serial production AL-41!!!
ALSO If you heard about R-73, but special version of these rocket which can turn 90°-180° http://www.combatsim.com/archive/images/img_arc-11/r-73.gif

BYE, BYE and good flight. I wish you all the best.

Molnija

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to the forum. However, resurrecting 4 year old threads is not a good way to start :watching2

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Geez, what is it with resurrecting my old threads today?

Troll.

dead-kitten.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.