• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Heacks

a few dumb questions:
My girlfriend is currently studying overseas. There's no nix on sending letters abroad, right?
As I'm looking over my enlistment paperwork, it mentions 4 AD and 4 reserve years in the service. Does everyone serve the four reserve years? What's that like? Is there an obligation of certain locations of service/jobs/etc?
How are toiletries stored in our room? Do we have dop kits?
My OCS gouge says to bring two pairs of shoes--one pair that shouldn't be worn until after first inspection. Should I really go out and buy another pair of running shoes to have one fresh?
Should we bring boot socks in addition to the logo-less white variety?
I haven't been interviewed for my TS clearance yet. Will this cause any difficulties and/or will my investigator be making his way to Newport?
Anything we should bring in our lucky bags that hasn't been brought up before?

Thanks

Interestingly enough, I just recently had my own TS security clearance interview. The agent who did mine said that OCS isn't dependent on your clearance interview. They can give you an interim clearance until the NBIB can get around to doing your interview. So I wouldn't fret too much about that part.

James Stewart

I have a couple of questions. It's been just about over six months since I was pro-rec'd in the SWO May board and I'm starting to get slightly concerned. I had to "renounce" my citizenship to Bahrain back in May because I was born there even though I was never a citizen, and both of my parents are Americans. Honestly, I don't think the embassy ever even replied to my letter, but I of course provided proof of the letter and whatever else my processor asked for at the time.
I see people talking about clearance interviews and whatnot, but my recruiter never mentioned anything about any of that and he's been deployed since September at this point. Should I have had some sort of clearance interview by now?
Is SWO just taking a long time to receive FINSELs right now, or is it normal for Americans born in foreign countries to wait longer for a finsel? As far as I'm aware my recruiter said not to worry about my background check, which was initiated 11 months ago, or something.
Finally, is it typical to receive a finsel fairly in advance of a class, or does that vary wildly?

I used the search function, but it was a bit tough finding these specific answers. Maybe the answers don't actually exist in the first place haha. Thank you in advance to anyone for any help.

ichneumonidae

Hi all, quick (stupid) question about storing stuff while I am in OCS. I am driving up and will be bringing my bicycle to use during Supply School. Is there a way to store my bicycle on base somewhere or is this asking to be singled out for asking something like this?

NMG1201

a few dumb questions:
My girlfriend is currently studying overseas. There's no nix on sending letters abroad, right?
As I'm looking over my enlistment paperwork, it mentions 4 AD and 4 reserve years in the service. Does everyone serve the four reserve years? What's that like? Is there an obligation of certain locations of service/jobs/etc?
My OCS gouge says to bring two pairs of shoes--one pair that shouldn't be worn until after first inspection. Should I really go out and buy another pair of running shoes to have one fresh?
I haven't been interviewed for my TS clearance yet. Will this cause any difficulties and/or will my investigator be making his way to Newport?

Thanks

I'll answer with what I know after recently going through OCS:

Nope! Send letters to wherever you'd like. Bring stamps.

I just brought all mine in gallon bags and threw them in my locker drawer. I later used half of my boot box to put them in and keep them organized. You'll have time to go to the NEX and buy organizers. I recommend bringing as little as possible so you have less to carry around the first day.

YES. Buy a pair to bring that you won't use. You'll want a perfect pair to have for your RLP inspection.

I brought plain white socks but I wish I didn't. If I were you I wouldn't bring any socks and just buy the ones they issue you on the first day. I ended up not even using the ones I brought because I really liked the other ones.

I never had a TS clearance interview.

Any toiletries you'd like. Like I said, don't pack too heavy because whatever you pack you'll be lugging around the whole first day and if you pack a lot it's going to be heavy. You'll have plenty of time to buy what you need at the NEX if you forgot anything.

desertflyer

I'll answer with what I know after recently going through OCS:
Any toiletries you'd like. Like I said, don't pack too heavy because whatever you pack you'll be lugging around the whole first day and if you pack a lot it's going to be heavy. You'll have plenty of time to buy what you need at the NEX if you forgot anything.

When I went, I only had to carry around my suitcase for about an hour, then they have you dump everything out on a table and start sorting through it, and you put what you can take with you in a seabag that they put in your room. A word of advice, make sure there's nothing loose that's going to make a mess if you have to dump it out. For instance I had index cards in a pocket that dumped out everywhere, that was a mess, and drew extra attention to me.

Benny Yang

Hey, just recently graduated OCS a couple of weeks ago and am happy to help answer any questions. I'm also prior-enlisted so I can help answer anything specifically related to that accession path as well.

If I have campaign/awards that admin didn't put in my DD214, will admin at OCS help you fix it if you bring the proper paperwork so I can wear them?

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 9.58.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 9.58.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 9.59.13 PM.png
There have been so many issues with officer candidates showing up to OCS UNprepared physically. On Wednesday of Week 1, you will be administered the IST (Initial Strength Test). From the OCS website: "...you will be required to pass each portion of the Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) with a score of Satisfactory Medium. By the 9th week you will be required to pass each portion of the PFA with a score of Good Low." Last week, THIRTY candidates failed the IST. Be ready!

View attachment 17839 View attachment 17840 View attachment 17841
There have been so many issues with officer candidates showing up to OCS UNprepared physically. On Wednesday of Week 1, you will be administered the IST (Initial Strength Test). From the OCS website: "...you will be required to pass each portion of the Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) with a score of Satisfactory Medium. By the 9th week you will be required to pass each portion of the PFA with a score of Good Low." Last week, THIRTY candidates failed the IST. Be ready!

What is the biggest hold-up for the officer candidates that roll (if you are aware)? Is it typically the run, or one of the other two IST portions?

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
My officer recruiter is having me run a PRT, does that not happen at every recruiting office?
Negative. 26 recruiting districts in the nation and 26 different ways of doing things. It's different with those going to OCS because you normally haven't signed a contract until just prior to leaving unlike the enlisted side where you do that up front then sit in the delayed entry program. Or, other programs like medical officer or nuke officer where you are a collegiate. You're receiving benefits, have signed a contract, and are given the PRT once a year and are expected to stay in shape. For aviation, SWO, supply, IWC, and SEAL...all we can really do is educate you but it's all on you to prepare.

AULANI

View attachment 17839 View attachment 17840 View attachment 17841

This makes me so sad.