• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

jRiot504

I'll be applying to the next SWO and Intel board. I wanted to check to see how my package looks. I will be taking the OAR in November as it is the only area that can improve my package (or bring it down if I bomb it).

LOR - USCG O6, O5 and Prof Mathematician who lead a research team at Los Alamos National Lab

BS in Professional Aeronautics ERAU - 3.3 GPA
MS in International Relations Troy University - 3.7 GPA
MS in Applied Economics University of North Dakota - 3.6 GPA

10 years prior service Air Force, air traffic controller
Awards - Excellence in Leadership and NCO of the Year at the group level (next level is base)

3 published academic books for Air Space and Power Journal, Strategic Studies Quarterly

Currently research oriented data scientist (3.5 years)
Given talks at The Data Science Conference, American Mathematical Society and State University on research

Completed 3 ultramarathons and Olympic distance triathlons

I am 32 and my recruiter told me they recently raised the age for SWO to 35 but said I would have been able to get a waiver anyway.

I don't see anywhere I can honestly improve my package at this time so hopefully I am competitive.

ichneumonidae

Hi,
I'm the guy who got rejected from OCS a while back. 56 OAR score and 3.81 GPA (4 internships prior to this). Got rec letters from 4 previous supervisors and 2 professors. Applied first choice to NFO and second choice to SWO.
I just picked up 2 new internships (one in maritime security and another one in East Asia relations) and another rec letter from my supervisor at the maritime security think tank. Is this an impressive enough of a improvement to justify reapplying?
Your recruiter will probably know best. Don't see how you got denied from SWO the first time but nice to see you're trying to be more well rounded. Couldn't hurt to find some community service that youre passionate about, too!

I don't see anywhere I can honestly improve my package at this time so hopefully I am competitive.
Impressive stats - kill the OAR and IMO you should be good to go. Nothing else to add other than good luck!

atk2234

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any advantage in applying to OCS before I graduate college, i.e. showing initiative, that sort of thing. I will be graduating in May and am considering getting a jumpstart on my application, thanks.

hdr777

pilot
Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any advantage in applying to OCS before I graduate college, i.e. showing initiative, that sort of thing. I will be graduating in May and am considering getting a jumpstart on my application, thanks.

The best advantage is that you can have less uncertainty about the future, or downtime after college and starting your career. Most people look for jobs before they graduate college, if you have the chance this shouldn't be different

Buster95

pilot
Hi,

Having the peace of mind is nice. A good majority of people in my 4000 level classes don't really know what they want to do yet once they graduate. Internships aren't too much of a worry, either. You'll also save a lot more time by getting the application portion out of the way, which takes a couple of months by itself. So once you graduate, all you have to wait for is your degree to post to final transcripts followed by a final select letter with your OCS date.

Cris

Your recruiter will probably know best. Don't see how you got denied from SWO the first time but nice to see you're trying to be more well rounded. Couldn't hurt to find some community service that youre passionate about, too!

Interestingly enough, I'm still looking for community service work. I was just wondering if the recruiting board preferred physical activity as well is all.

My wife and kids are on my page 2 and in deers. Do I need a marriage certificate since I am currently getting BAH? I didn't find this while searching AW...

Did you check the OCS website itself for what documents you need?
Yes, I assume I do not need it because it says to add a spouse to deers. She is in deers so I do not need it. Regardless of what my page 2 says, the document is used to ADD to deers. I am seeking confirmation, not more questions...

acta-non-verba

Anyone know if they are allowing candidates to shave with a double edge safety razor (the old school way of shaving) at OCS? I've seen previous threads that said only cartridge razors are allowed. My face/beard prefers the old school way. @RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec any knowledge??

Thanks!

a few dumb questions:
My girlfriend is currently studying overseas. There's no nix on sending letters abroad, right?
As I'm looking over my enlistment paperwork, it mentions 4 AD and 4 reserve years in the service. Does everyone serve the four reserve years? What's that like? Is there an obligation of certain locations of service/jobs/etc?
How are toiletries stored in our room? Do we have dop kits?
My OCS gouge says to bring two pairs of shoes--one pair that shouldn't be worn until after first inspection. Should I really go out and buy another pair of running shoes to have one fresh?
Should we bring boot socks in addition to the logo-less white variety?
I haven't been interviewed for my TS clearance yet. Will this cause any difficulties and/or will my investigator be making his way to Newport?
Anything we should bring in our lucky bags that hasn't been brought up before?

Thanks

Hayley D.

a few dumb questions:
My girlfriend is currently studying overseas. There's no nix on sending letters abroad, right?
As I'm looking over my enlistment paperwork, it mentions 4 AD and 4 reserve years in the service. Does everyone serve the four reserve years? What's that like? Is there an obligation of certain locations of service/jobs/etc?
How are toiletries stored in our room? Do we have dop kits?
My OCS gouge says to bring two pairs of shoes--one pair that shouldn't be worn until after first inspection. Should I really go out and buy another pair of running shoes to have one fresh?
Should we bring boot socks in addition to the logo-less white variety?
I haven't been interviewed for my TS clearance yet. Will this cause any difficulties and/or will my investigator be making his way to Newport?
Anything we should bring in our lucky bags that hasn't been brought up before?

Thanks
Answering what I know about:
Reserves: you can be in the reserves (or drilling units) or be in the Inactive Ready Reserves (IRR)

Two pairs of shoes: a lot of people advise doing this. I grabbed a $10 pair from Walmart that I’ll probably never use and donate after.

Boot socks: people have recommended this. I am for the purpose of having quality socks, and cold weather boot socks.

TS Clearance: are you a Nuke? I know several people in prototype (1.5 years AD already) that haven’t had interviews yet. So, it probably won’t affect you.

Heacks

Answering what I know about:
Reserves: you can be in the reserves (or drilling units) or be in the Inactive Ready Reserves (IRR)

Two pairs of shoes: a lot of people advise doing this. I grabbed a $10 pair from Walmart that I’ll probably never use and donate after.

Boot socks: people have recommended this. I am for the purpose of having quality socks, and cold weather boot socks.

TS Clearance: are you a Nuke? I know several people in prototype (1.5 years AD already) that haven’t had interviews yet. So, it probably won’t affect you.

Okay, here comes the dumb part of the question, what is the second pair of sneakers for? Just inspection or are people planning on using them?