• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Chovy

I've read and heard varying amounts. Anybody know what we can expect to pay upfront out-of-pocket when we get to OCS? I know upfront we pay about $1,200 for uniforms, but what other costs can we expect and for what items?

Hayley D.

I've read and heard varying amounts. Anybody know what we can expect to pay upfront out-of-pocket when we get to OCS? I know upfront we pay about $1,200 for uniforms, but what other costs can we expect and for what items?
Class fees to include shirts, sweatshirts, hi-moms, and class gifts is part of the cost.

Also I'm not sure if this is what you mean by up-front, but I'm pretty sure you square up your balance towards the end of OCS, not when you get there

Hayley D.

Before I graduated college I took some time to see if I could do any of the strokes comfortably back and forth which I can, if there's breaks in between like desertflyer says then I think I should be fine, I'm probably gonna need as much help as I can get though for flight school.
Is that the test you do in your flight suit?

desertflyer

The most you should need upfront, is money for a cab/uber and a hotel room. On Sunday, they will give you gift cards for $3500 worth of uniform expenses, that have to be paid back at the end of OCS. Around week 4, a pretty good chunk of change will be deposited into your bank account, this includes $1800 for uniforms, and a months pay. It works out to a little over $3000 which should be about what your uniforms cost in the end.

Chovy

The most you should need upfront, is money for a cab/uber and a hotel room. On Sunday, they will give you gift cards for $3500 worth of uniform expenses, that have to be paid back at the end of OCS. Around week 4, a pretty good chunk of change will be deposited into your bank account, this includes $1800 for uniforms, and a months pay. It works out to a little over $3000 which should be about what your uniforms cost in the end.

Thanks for the clarification!

George222

Do we still get a 10% discount or so if we sign up for some kind of card while at OCS? Also the DEP handbook says we need $300 for OCS, not sure how they came up with that figure.

Hayley D.

Do we still get a 10% discount or so if we sign up for some kind of card while at OCS? Also the DEP handbook says we need $300 for OCS, not sure how they came up with that figure.
It's the Military Star card, and yes it still gives a discount I believe. I checked the promo page recently for it.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor

I think that sum is for the small things like coins for first salutes and such.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Why not? 10% discount. Could save you up to $300.

Because it is a crap credit card and when you cancel it you are closing a line of credit, which can ding your credit score. I got the Star Card and later regretted it. It was not worth the ass pain of opening it and then closing it later.