• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Carina

I know I cannot do any legal paperwork before OCS so I waiting to divorce after, but can I change my name to my maiden name before OCS?

bchelleen

Rumors that were addressed during one of our Q&A briefs with Capt Savageaux (CO) towards the end of July 2017 at OCS:
OCS is not shortening to 10 weeks anytime in the near future.
"Fast Cruise" is not going anywhere (so "enjoy" it!).
Yeah I second this. The program is definitely not getting shortened anytime soon also, 'General Quarters' which is the final event of Indoc phase is now gone.

Carina

Does everyone that go to OCS before Jan 2018 get to choose between the old retirement plan and the new Blended System, or does does what you get depend on OCS graduation date?

DONOSAURU5REX

pilot
Does everyone that go to OCS before Jan 2018 get to choose between the old retirement plan and the new Blended System, or does does what you get depend on OCS graduation date?
Unless you are prior service you won't get to choose and will be required to use the new system.

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
You are in the navy when you swear in. So if you swear in before 1Jan18, you will get grandfathered into the current system. I made sure to ask my recruiter on that one myself.

DONOSAURU5REX

pilot
Unless you are prior service you won't get to choose and will be required to use the new system.
My bad I was looking at the "12 years of prior service for AC". The NAVADMIN states, "AC and RC members who joined before 1 January 2018 are automatically grandfathered into the current retirement system."

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.

This is what I read on a few websites

If you joined before 2006, you are locked into the old system
If you joined between then and 1jan18, you can choose the old or the new system
If you joined after 1Jan18, you get the new system.

Carina

This is what I read on a few websites

If you joined before 2006, you are locked into the old system
If you joined between then and 1jan18, you can choose the old or the new system
If you joined after 1Jan18, you get the new system.

That is exactly what I have read. However the reason I ask is because I know when you graduate OCS you are discharged as an enlisted and then commissioned. Does that affect anything? Silly question I know.

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
That is exactly what I have read. However the reason I ask is because I know when you graduate OCS you are discharged as an enlisted and then commissioned. Does that affect anything? Silly question I know.
I'm going to have to say you're going to be fine. I am just assuming though.

Hayley D.

I think you could still do the old one, if it's only determined by your swear in date.