• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Safashton

Absolutely not. First, you don't really get POV runs until you hit candio phase anyways. Second, you don't want to get caught doing something stupid like that and get kicked out or seawalled. It's not worth it, everybody else goes 9 weeks without their phone and you can too.

What do you mean by Seawalled?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm probably overthinking this, but can the first salute be given to a retired officer? One of my neighbors was in the Navy from the late 1930s until the early sixties (I think he retired as an O-6) and I was planning on inviting him to graduation.

That's not really how the first salute works, or at least not how it's worked historically. I know you ended up getting an answer about your neighbor commissioning you (I did that at NROTC, where my flight instructor commissioned me), but in the interest to help others to understand the process...

If your neighbor was a retired Chief (let's just say), and he wore his uniform and he rendered honors to you, he would be your first salute and should be given the silver dollar. But if someone senior comes along (like an O-6), you're rendering honors to him/her, which isn't their first salute, so it's a non-event. Basically, think of the first salute as someone junior to you saluting you for the first time as an Ensign, so that's basically anyone enlisted.

Last edited:

msv123

MVaughn123
For anyone about to go to OCS... be advised that overall fitness standards are increasing. During events like RLP, there are staff members going through hatches and just pulling people who they think aren't putting out enough (the last indoc class while I was there had 28 people fail the first round of RLP). The daily PT regimen is also being changed to increase the difficulty/intensity. The physical aspect of OCS isn't impossible by any means but don't underestimate it. The biggest hurdle that keeps people from graduating on time is either rolling for fitness-related reasons or becoming injured because they didn't properly prepare themselves.
If you cannot easily hit the minimum PFA requirements in the comfort of your home gym, then you're wrong. You will be expected to perform under stressful, less-than-ideal conditions (i.e. you'll still have the deer-in-the-headlight stress of an indoc candidate, they'll wake you up after a couple hours of sleep, run you down to the track at 0400 without any time for a pre-game poop, etc.). Don't be that person who gets surprised when they can't hit the numbers they thought they could hit and finds themselves in H-class before they even realized what happened. Test yourselves beforehand (with proper form), crush the minimums, and know what you're capable of.

Hayley D.

For anyone about to go to OCS... be advised that overall fitness standards are increasing. During events like RLP, there are staff members going through hatches and just pulling people who they think aren't putting out enough (the last indoc class while I was there had 28 people fail the first round of RLP). The daily PT regimen is also being changed to increase the difficulty/intensity. The physical aspect of OCS isn't impossible by any means but don't underestimate it. The biggest hurdle that keeps people from graduating on time is either rolling for fitness-related reasons or becoming injured because they didn't properly prepare themselves.
If you cannot easily hit the minimum PFA requirements in the comfort of your home gym, then you're wrong. You will be expected to perform under stressful, less-than-ideal conditions (i.e. you'll still have the deer-in-the-headlight stress of an indoc candidate, they'll wake you up after a couple hours of sleep, run you down to the track at 0400 without any time for a pre-game poop, etc.). Don't be that person who gets surprised when they can't hit the numbers they thought they could hit and finds themselves in H-class before they even realized what happened. Test yourselves beforehand (with proper form), crush the minimums, and know what you're capable of.

Needed this, thanks. I see "don't worry about it" too often that sometimes I start to not take prep as seriously as I should.

Carina

Also, I hope I am not called an idiot for asking....but I see a lot of older posts about anthropometric measurements, and don't seem to see anything new. Is this true?:
"Height restrictions: 62" - 78" (male) 58" - 78" (female) (Note: * applicants under 63" will not likely pass anthropometric measurements)"
So at 62" do I stand a chance at OCS medical procedures (flight physical)? Or is it likely that someone like me gets disqualified, and re-designated or sent home?

ISLANDERZPZ

t
so is OCS really 10 weeks now? or is it still just a rumor?
Also, I hope I am not called an idiot for asking....but I see a lot of older posts about anthropometric measurements, and don't seem to see anything new. Is this true?:
"Height restrictions: 62" - 78" (male) 58" - 78" (female) (Note: * applicants under 63" will not likely pass anthropometric measurements)"
So at 62" do I stand a chance at OCS medical procedures (flight physical)? Or is it likely that someone like me gets disqualified, and re-designated or sent home?
Its tough to say because there are multiple measurements they take (seating height, reach height etc..) the main goal is to get a commission and down to API where they will give you the official yes or no. From what I hear the navy anticipates people getting DQed for SNA and roll them over to SNFO. Im in the same boat because I did get the anthros done and was not qualified for much of anything but was told to apply anyway and let API/NAMI tell me no and not anyone outside of that. The story I got was too many were done wrong from other clinics and a lot of applicants missed out on an opportunity for SNA or were not qualified for SNA (after already being accepted) so they took it out of the application all together and do the official measurement there. Im guessing it saves all the paperwork of rolling people in and out either pipeline.

Carina

t

Its tough to say because there are multiple measurements they take (seating height, reach height etc..) the main goal is to get a commission and down to API where they will give you the official yes or no. From what I hear the navy anticipates people getting DQed for SNA and roll them over to SNFO. Im in the same boat because I did get the anthros done and was not qualified for much of anything but was told to apply anyway and let API/NAMI tell me no and not anyone outside of that. The story I got was too many were done wrong from other clinics and a lot of applicants missed out on an opportunity for SNA or were not qualified for SNA (after already being accepted) so they took it out of the application all together and do the official measurement there. Im guessing it saves all the paperwork of rolling people in and out either pipeline.
Ok good to know. Since my goal is to be Naval Officer first, being commissioned before being given bad news will make it better. Also means they will simply re-designate an applicant who is commissioned already. But I really hope I do make it through! I really want what I have been working hard towards.