• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

meduses

What's the order of the IST/ PRT events? Also before the IST have we already done running or exercising? For the pushups are they seeing if arms are 90 degrees or putting a fist underneath me ?

For the PFA you'll do 2 minutes of curl ups followed immediately by 2 minutes of push ups. After that you'll get a short (approx. 2-3 minutes) water break and then do the run. For push ups you just need to break 90. Make sure you're going all the way back up though, too. A lot of staff members have been calling candidates out for not going all the way down and up

Carina

I have a quick question. I was pro rec for JUly aviation board. Currently waiting on a FINSEL. Is it best to start divorce paper work after OCS to not disturb the process? Or does it matter?

terry

How exactly do I show up for check-in? Civilian sweat-ready clothes and tennis shoes, along with a (non-fancy, as it's not inspectable correct?) duffel bag to hold all my toiletries, socks/underwear, etc.? Is this my "lucky bag", or should I have a second bag?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
How exactly do I show up for check-in? Civilian sweat-ready clothes and tennis shoes, along with a (non-fancy, as it's not inspectable correct?) duffel bag to hold all my toiletries, socks/underwear, etc.? Is this my "lucky bag", or should I have a second bag?

OCS has a Facebook page where you can see what attire the candidates are showing up at

"Officer Training Command Newport"

meduses

Yes, the duffel bag/suitcase you bring will be your lucky bag, no need to bring a second bag.

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
Is it normal for at least some people to not have any family attend the graduation ceremonies? Due to work and other obligations, my family may not be able to attend my graduation depending on my class date.
I looked through the thread but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Jeff Sheets

Is it normal for at least some people to not have any family attend the graduation ceremonies? Due to work and other obligations, my family may not be able to attend my graduation depending on my class date.
I looked through the thread but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

From what I've read it does happen where families have other commitments and can't attend OCS graduation. Usually in those cases the others without family there can buddy up or you can see if one of your friends with family there will let you tag along with them. Searching google there's some stuff on the Ask moms/Ask dads websites if you want more details. Just enjoy the experience and take pictures/ video so you can show everyone later.

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
From what I've read it does happen where families have other commitments and can't attend OCS graduation. Usually in those cases the others without family there can buddy up or you can see if one of your friends with family there will let you tag along with them. Searching google there's some stuff on the Ask moms/Ask dads websites if you want more details. Just enjoy the experience and take pictures/ video so you can show everyone later.
I think I did read that people "tagged along" with other families. but I wasn't 100% sure. Hopefully it does not come down to that that.
Thanks

Carina

I think I did read that people "tagged along" with other families. but I wasn't 100% sure. Hopefully it does not come down to that that.
Thanks

"Tag along" is not the way I would put it. Sounds like you would be a third wheel. I read in some family forums that there is usually 1 or 2 without families there and usually a family will "adopt" you for hi-moms and what not.

You won't be alone! You will definitely create bonds with your shipmates by graduation time and have more than enough "family"

I went through boot camp and it was pretty much the same.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
I know that if I show up carrying my phone they take it and put it in my lucky bag and I don't get it back until week 9.

Should I just leave it in my car so I can use it on POV runs?

egri

I'm probably overthinking this, but can the first salute be given to a retired officer? One of my neighbors was in the Navy from the late 1930s until the early sixties (I think he retired as an O-6) and I was planning on inviting him to graduation.

justheretocreep

I'm probably overthinking this, but can the first salute be given to a retired officer? One of my neighbors was in the Navy from the late 1930s until the early sixties (I think he retired as an O-6) and I was planning on inviting him to graduation.

If you want he can actually commission you about 2 hours before graduation. I'm having my uncle commission me.

meduses

I know that if I show up carrying my phone they take it and put it in my lucky bag and I don't get it back until week 9.

Should I just leave it in my car so I can use it on POV runs?

Absolutely not. First, you don't really get POV runs until you hit candio phase anyways. Second, you don't want to get caught doing something stupid like that and get kicked out or seawalled. It's not worth it, everybody else goes 9 weeks without their phone and you can too.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Absolutely not. First, you don't really get POV runs until you hit candio phase anyways. Second, you don't want to get caught doing something stupid like that and get kicked out or seawalled. It's not worth it, everybody else goes 9 weeks without their phone and you can too.
Oh I didn't realize that was actually against the rules.