• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Regardless, if there's one shot I'd prefer to not have to deal with in a communal environment, it's the Small Pox shot. That was annoying living by myself and dealing with flying regularly. The stories I heard of guys getting it on the boat were downright disgusting.

During OCS do you receive the small pox vaccination? I am thinking of getting the shot beforehand.

We did not receive smallpox vaccinations when I was at OCS (Grad July 2016).

I seem to recall that officers do not receive TA from a brief or twelve.

Depending on your pipeline there's usually an opportunity top pursue a masters during your career (shore duty), often paid for by the navy (ROTC, NPGS, Navy War College at Newport).

zboy

None
Thank you

We had a handful that got NPQ'd. I can't remember the exact numbers, but some just DOR'd from the entire program, because their only intentions were to fly or they just didn't want to wait to get it fixed. One SNFO got hit for Anthros and redes to Intel.

Some things are just out of your control, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mi1215

There's a checklist somewhere in these threads. I'd look at that. There are a couple helpful things for females I can help out with too. Some things I'm happy I brought were extra, long shoe strings (which you'll need to tie bags for events), money (OCS is expensive. Spent about 4000 my whole time here so be prepared to spend), 5-7 pairs of fox river boot socks!!! The boot socks issued suck. A couple Rite in the Rain 3x5 notepads (color doesn't matter) to keep and write gouge, one pair of really good tennis shoes (I'd recommend a brand like Brooks).

For the boot socks, what color did you buy? I know the regular socks need to be white, but I was curious about the boot socks from Fox River. Thanks!

zboy

None
For the boot socks, what color did you buy? I know the regular socks need to be white, but I was curious about the boot socks from Fox River. Thanks!
Don't worry about getting white socks, you get issued a bunch. As for the boot socks get black

AUav8r

Grizzly
pilot
It's been brought up a few times before, but get plenty of good boots socks. The issued white PT Socks aren't bad and were actually better than the ones I brought. The boot socks, however, are third world levels of garbage.

RGONZA14

Can someone please elaborate on what things look like for SWO's after OCS? I've searched the forum but most of the answers I've come across are from several years ago, and I'm not sure if things have changed. Do you report to a ship immediately after OCS, or do you have some time off in between to figure out living arrangements? How long after you report to your ship do you return to Newport for SWOS?

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
Can someone please elaborate on what things look like for SWO's after OCS? I've searched the forum but most of the answers I've come across are from several years ago, and I'm not sure if things have changed. Do you report to a ship immediately after OCS, or do you have some time off in between to figure out living arrangements? How long after you report to your ship do you return to Newport for SWOS?

I haven't been to OCS yet, I'm still waiting on my FINSEL. But my friend graduated from OCS on 6/1, and he had to report on 7/1. So he got about a month in between. Idk if that's across the board for all SWOs but that's been his experience thus far.