• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Briana

I've tried asking around and was never offered an answer, so obviously I came here! I'm a prior, and I was wondering if my chief was allowed to be my first salute. I've read all about who is supposed to do it. But my chief was very, very influential in my career, it would mean more to me. Actual answers?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I've tried asking around and was never offered an answer, so obviously I came here! I'm a prior, and I was wondering if my chief was allowed to be my first salute. I've read all about who is supposed to do it. But my chief was very, very influential in my career, it would mean more to me. Actual answers?
Well, you can, and you would not be the first. Still, it is kind of a minor dick move. The Marines that will train you (still Marines, right?) should have a nearly equal influence on your future. If I could hazard a recommendation, have your Chief there to slide/pin your rank on you.

I graduated about 1000 years ago, so maybe things have changed. Take my two-cents and toss it in with other comments to see what you get.

Briana

Well, you can, and you would not be the first. Still, it is kind of a minor dick move. The Marines that will train you (still Marines, right?) should have a nearly equal influence on your future. If I could hazard a recommendation, have your Chief there to slide/pin your rank on you.

I graduated about 1000 years ago, so maybe things have changed. Take my two-cents and toss it in with other comments to see what you get.
Honestly, the marines influence would be flighting. I doubt they would actually remember whereas my chief and I would share that for years. However, what's the pinning you speak of? That would be a good idea? Thank you for replying

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
When you are commissioned, an officer swears you into the service. Once that is done, someone has to put your rank on you (shoulder boards in dress whites). Most people have their mom and pop do it, but having your Chief there would be a nice touch...kind of like sending you out into the big world.

j-mac31

Honestly, the marines influence would be flighting. I doubt they would actually remember whereas my chief and I would share that for years. However, what's the pinning you speak of? That would be a good idea? Thank you for replying

I'm not sure how they used to do it, but when I graduated (about 2 months ago) we were able to do whatever we wanted for our first salute. Most shared theirs with family members, but you could certainly share yours with your chief.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yeah at least according to what my class team said, there is no longer a formal first salute ceremony (I believe it had to do with running afoul of the gift giving policies).

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
When you are commissioned, an officer swears you into the service. Once that is done, someone has to put your rank on you (shoulder boards in dress whites). Most people have their mom and pop do it, but having your Chief there would be a nice touch...kind of like sending you out into the big world.
These days you show up to graduation with your rank on, but without your cover until after the ceremony. We didn't have a pinning ceremony, we just got sworn in.
Yeah at least according to what my class team said, there is no longer a formal first salute ceremony (I believe it had to do with running afoul of the gift giving policies).
Indeed. Some of those silver coins were worth a lot of money. What some in my class chose to do was conduct a "First Salute Ceremony" outside after graduation or down at the beach in the gazebo.

Burd92

Burd92
pilot

Just graduated Jan6th & I had to specifically ask my class chief to be my first salute. It's not expected for your class team (mine was a chief & ssgt) to be your first salute anymore. Any other questions feel free to ask, I'm fresh out of OCS so I have recent info! :)