• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

MTLiving

I know this might've been covered earlier in this thread but I was hoping to get some fresh gouge on this...How many candidates bring laptops to OCS? Is it worth it or more of a burden? Thanks!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I know this might've been covered earlier in this thread but I was hoping to get some fresh gouge on this...How many candidates bring laptops to OCS? Is it worth it or more of a burden? Thanks!
Why would you need one? What can it do that a smart phone can't?

MTLiving

Why would you need one? What can it do that a smart phone can't?
I'll be flying across the country so my flight will be at least 10 hours, so I was just thinking of bringing it for that reason. I just don't want to be "that guy" who brings it. Just trying to get a general consensus on the topic!

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I'll be flying across the country so my flight will be at least 10 hours, so I was just thinking of bringing it for that reason. I just don't want to be "that guy" who brings it. Just trying to get a general consensus on the topic!
If you only want it for Netflix-type, anti-boredom purposes, consider a $49 Kindle Fire instead. And now that Netflix allows downloading and offline playback of shows, you should be alright.

And/or, use it to read Ghost Fleet on your flights, if you haven't read it already.

zboy

None
I have a stupid question. I'm headed to OCS in a few weeks and was going through the OCS checklist on what to bring. It says to bring all medical/dental records, but have also read to just bring documents pertaining to things you checked "yes" for on the DD 2807. The only thing I checked yes for was Acne. I never took accutane and was off medication for a few yrs prior to MEPs and the doc didn't ask for further documentation. My recruiter never asked for any either. Do I need to bring documents or will OCS be able to pull up my med history?

MTLiving

I have a stupid question. I'm headed to OCS in a few weeks and was going through the OCS checklist on what to bring. It says to bring all medical/dental records, but have also read to just bring documents pertaining to things you checked "yes" for on the DD 2807. The only thing I checked yes for was Acne. I never took accutane and was off medication for a few yrs prior to MEPs and the doc didn't ask for further documentation. My recruiter never asked for any either. Do I need to bring documents or will OCS be able to pull up my med history?
I read back in the 200s that you don't need to bring anything other than what you brought to MEPs. Bringing anything other you sent to MEPs will raise some red flags. So your medical file essentially starts when you show up to OCS.

zboy

None
I read back in the 200s that you don't need to bring anything other than what you brought to MEPs. Bringing anything other you sent to MEPs will raise some red flags. So your medical file essentially starts when you show up to OCS.
I didn't bring anything to MEPs, so looks like I won't bring anything to OCS

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
That's unfortunate that we will have to buy three sets of NWUs in less than a year for those of us who are heading to OCS.

FIFY. Even better, they only sew the butterbars on one set before you leave so you will literally only wear one of your three sets during OHARP, then never wear them again due to khakis/bags in flight school and the sundown.

You can definitely bring a laptop to use before/after OCS. Technically it is still banned during Candio phase but it's pretty much useless anyways since there is no Wi-Fi in Nimitz, so mine stayed in my lucky bag.

MTLiving

FIFY. Even better, they only sew the butterbars on one set before you leave so you will literally only wear one of your three sets during OHARP, then never wear them again due to khakis/bags in flight school and the sundown.

You can definitely bring a laptop to use before/after OCS. Technically it is still banned during Candio phase but it's pretty much useless anyways since there is no Wi-Fi in Nimitz, so mine stayed in my lucky bag.
Oh yeah that makes sense! So will we be still required to purchase the NWU IIIs if we are in the aviation community? I guess I'll just bring my tablet for the plane then. Thanks @Hopeful Hoya!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's expected to have at least one set in case it's needed. I've worn my NWUs exactly once, and it was under protest. But sometimes an E-9 really can order an O-5 to do something (joking).