• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

KPH

Will it be a flag to have a weight waiver at the beginning of OCS, even if I'm well within the bounds of body fat %? I imagine that I will be under the weight limit for my height at the end of OCS

CarrierGuy06

Will it be a flag to have a weight waiver at the beginning of OCS, even if I'm well within the bounds of body fat %? I imagine that I will be under the weight limit for my height at the end of OCS
No flag for weight, you will be ok. When it comes to weight issues it is "due to excess body fat" not muscle weight. After all that physical training and good nutrition you most likely will lose body fat and put on little muscle weight. That would be a good thing. Don't worry, if your body fat % is within the limit then no problems.

Sonog

pilot
Unless you show up in insane shape and use chow time as a pleasure outlet and gorge yourself on every meal then gain 10 lbs of fat by the end of OCS!

Igloojam

pilot
Yea okay, get a senior DI who has done multiple tours as a DI to laugh. Have fun with that. You think you can think of something they haven't seen before? They've pushed thousands of recruits at paris island before coming to Newport.

Prior here... I saw my drill hat lose his Cheerios when this runt of a Mexican kid straight up pissed himself after asking to use the head... Still the funniest thing I've ever seen... But yes... If you try an intentionally make them laugh... You'll get boned... But if you're legitimately stupid (there's always one)... It's bound to happen...

Crqpilot

Here comes a stupid question.

I'm an extremely light sleeper and I tend to sleep with a sleep mask so I don't wake up throughout the night. As sleep is a precious commodity at OCS, are sleep masks allowed?

I'd hate to be the guy who wears a sleep mask, but I'd hate to be the guy who gets zero hours of sleep even more.

Thanks

Igloojam

pilot

I'm an extremely light sleeper and I tend to sleep with a sleep mask so I don't wake up throughout the night. As sleep is a precious commodity at OCS, are sleep masks allowed?

I'd hate to be the guy who wears a sleep mask, but I'd hate to be the guy who gets zero hours of sleep even more.

Thanks

Dude... I'm dying... I haven't been to OCS yet... But I'm sure you could have your sleep mask hidden somewhere. I say hidden because I don't know if they'll allow that going in to OCS. If it was anything like boot I'm sure they'll make you dump your shit and search it. And if the DIs or instructor staff see it I could totally see them saying "wtf... No... Suck it up".

I am going to assume you're going to be so tired you're not going to need it. You will be up at 5 and in bed by 10 or 11, doing shit, yelling, running, etc, all damn day. I would also dare to say there are going to be nights where you don't need it because you're up all night preparing your uniforms, firewatch(is this what the navy calls it?) memorizing knowledge or some other ridiculous task.

My advice... Don't bring it. Avoid any possible ridicule or potential for them to spotlight you. My hunch is... You're gonna sleep like a rock at OCS.

Splonk

I would say bring it if you want. I'm pretty sure it's not contraband, so it's really up to your candidate officers when you check in. Everything should be locked up during the daytime anyway.

I also agree with Igloojam. I slept like a rock during OCS.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
I was informed that OCS has updated their IST requirements as far as push ups an curls. They have increased the number required.

I haven't seen this update on their website or Facebook page. Where did you hear this? I am trying to prepare so I'd just like to confirm and see the new numbers if this is the case.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot

Thanks
I promise if we're roommates that I'll masturbate real quietly. No worries.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Maybe some of the priors can speak to this, but how close does my shave need to be? Just a clean daily shave with the grain or will I need to be first-date-newborn-baby-butt close? Just trying to avoid unnecessary irritation.

Splonk

I haven't seen this update on their website or Facebook page. Where did you hear this? I am trying to prepare so I'd just like to confirm and see the new numbers if this is the case.

The standards didn't change. What did change is that they went back to the old system with subcategories of high, medium, and low. You need to achieve at least probationary in all categories for the IST. The updated charts are here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 5- Physical Readiness Test 2016.pdf

Igloojam

pilot
I promise if we're roommates that I'll masturbate real quietly. No worries.

Bro you're a savage...
Maybe some of the priors can speak to this, but how close does my shave need to be? Just a clean daily shave with the grain or will I need to be first-date-newborn-baby-butt close? Just trying to avoid unnecessary irritation.

Pro tip... Don't cut corners shaving. Shave every day with shaving cream. Shaving with gran is usually acceptable... Some di s can be dicks though so play the field. Always shave before an inspection.

If you have to ask yourself if it's not good enough... Then it probably isn't.

Not shaving good enough is a dumbass way to be a dumbass... You'll know what's expected when you get there.