• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

hrtchoco

I'm pretty confused about my chance of getting selected as an Intel officer. From what I'm reading on the form, it doesn't seem like I have a remote chance, but somehow my recruiter seems confident I have a great chance of getting picked.

Major: Chemical Engineering
Undergrad: UC Davis, 2.86
Grad: University of Mississippi, 3.71
Also did some community college that somehow counts toward my GPA. My overall GPA is going to be 3.13.
OAR: 57 ( I thought it was total crap, but my recruiter was happy with it.)

My recruiter was trying to sell the fact that I can speak Chinese. He thought it was really important, but according to the form, it doesn't matter at all...I'm so lost.

AB6

Hi,

I need some help understanding the IST procedure please. I know an individual must score at least a "satisfactory" score in order to pass. Is the time limit on each event (push up and curl up) 2 minutes without rest? My age bracket is 20-24 male so for example I would need to do 37 push ups without rest except in the up position within 2 minutes to achieve a "satisfactory" score on that event? I don't understand how the points are played into this equation other than each bracket has a point score associated with it i.e. 37 push ups = 45 points on the chart.

Thank You

AB6

Also, is the push up done feet together or apart? The navy PRT instruction video on youtube has feet apart but from recent pictures at OCS they are all feet together. Thanks

Larick

None
Contributor
Yes, the push-ups and sit-ups are 2 min each. You won't get too much rest in between. Once you finish one exercise you roll into the next. Add up the points you get for each exercise and divide it by 3 (push-ups/sit-ups/cardio). So since you are in the 20-24 bracket your overall average needs to be 45. And your feet are together while using knife hands during your push-ups.

romoth

Looking through the forum I have found a lot of posts about getting married but im wondering if being single vs being married has any effect while you are actually in OCS, with the high acceptance rates I have heard of some SNA's getting cut for some strange reasons. Would the navy look at having a dependent as a negative thing?

exNavyOffRec

Looking through the forum I have found a lot of posts about getting married but im wondering if being single vs being married has any effect while you are actually in OCS, with the high acceptance rates I have heard of some SNA's getting cut for some strange reasons. Would the navy look at having a dependent as a negative thing?

why do you believe there are high acceptance rates? or should I say do you think that acceptance percentage correlates to high numbers of billets?

romoth

I had read that in comparison to the past more pilots are being selected for each board especially the last 3.

exNavyOffRec

I had read that in comparison to the past more pilots are being selected for each board especially the last 3.

not really, estimate 300 +/- spots each year, 3-4 boards per year and the fact that people apply for multiple designators so not everyone that gets a pro Y will take that spot, some pick another designator, it has all been fairly constant, the USN is good at estimating these things.

AB6

Yes, the push-ups and sit-ups are 2 min each. You won't get too much rest in between. Once you finish one exercise you roll into the next. Add up the points you get for each exercise and divide it by 3 (push-ups/sit-ups/cardio). So since you are in the 20-24 bracket your overall average needs to be 45. And your feet are together while using knife hands during your push-ups.

Thanks for the info. As far as form goes, will hands be spread slightly outwards from the body so its more of a chest press or will they tight into the body so to use mostly triceps? I ask since the instructional videos and pictures posted on the Newport Facebook page of candidates doing push-ups seem to conflict with the style they are done. Thanks again.

Larick

None
Contributor
From what my class DI showed us, YMMV, was a combination of shoulder width/tight to the body push-ups. We would SLIDE our hands toward the body to engage triceps if our chest was done. I never got around to looking up that sliding movement to see if it's even allowed. All I know is that your hands can NOT come off the deck during those 2 minutes. You can never go wrong with shoulder width apart.

Reactions: AB6

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
I see, so being married before OCS wouldn't really make me any less likely to complete the program.
Dude, it's not really a big deal. I went to OCS married and went through primary and advanved helo with child in the mix. Just do your thing and fill out the wonderful abundance of paperwork that having dependents grants you :)

Splonk

Thanks for the info. As far as form goes, will hands be spread slightly outwards from the body so its more of a chest press or will they tight into the body so to use mostly triceps? I ask since the instructional videos and pictures posted on the Newport Facebook page of candidates doing push-ups seem to conflict with the style they are done. Thanks again.

I don't think anyone ever got yelled at for having too wide of a hand position. I would also go as quickly as possible. As said before, YMMV due to different class teams.

Reactions: AB6

AB6

Another very stupid question: Guys don't need to bring tighty whities, correct? Just grey/white/black boxer briefs would work?

Thank you!