• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

romoth

I read some where that you should invest in a good pair less than 6 months old, I just got a new pair. (can some one confirm this)

Jenlm

Week 1, you get a haircut that hangs no lower than your shoulders if you don't already have it that way. I can't remember which, if any of the females left that up to the NEX barber shop. There are quite a few women who cut hair at the NEX but it is definitely not a salon. You could spend your off base liberty at a salon if you wanted, if graduation is your concern.

As a woman, trust me, if your hair is not on point, Staff Sergeant Vasquez will make sure you know ;)

Males get their heads shaved every two weeks and then at some point you're allowed to grow it out and conform to regular Navy reg. Can't remember if tht was week 6 or 9.

Oh and as for regimental billets, if you get bat 2 staff it's pretty much the greatest thing ever. You have like 10 people to do 2 things and then you chill the rest of the time at OCS. I slept until lunch a good 4-5 times during Candi-O phase as Batt 2 staff.

As far as this hair thing goes I keep hearing different things. I've been told that women do not have to cut their hair as long as it can go smoothly in a bun and ponytail. I head to OCS Feb 14 so if anyone who was recently there could let me know that would be fantastic.

Bluecore

Do I need to bring my own running shoes? My current pair fit fine but look ratty, should I invest in a new pair? Do the uniforms you buy at OCS include dress shoes?

Also, do I need to bring my own brown belt or is that included with the uniforms?

I bought brand new shoes and put about 20-30 break in miles on them before arriving. If you subscribe to the theory that you should replace your running shoes every X miles, whatever that number is within reason, I assure you you'll reach it during OCS. So yes, I would buy new shoes if you can afford them.

I've read that it's also helpful to bring a shiny new pair for RLP.

I bought a brand new pair at the NEX and returned them after RLP. I had even stamped them but it was so light 1. the DI didn't look and 2. it was light enough to rub out. YMMV but the exchange takes virtually all returns.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Don't wear brand spanking new shoes to OCS, break them in well before hand to make them comfortable. You don't really need new shoes for RLP, it's only worth a single point, and takes up space. But if the benefits outweigh the costs, go for it.

@ehoney I have no idea where you heard about brown belts. Everything will be issued that you will need. You can check in with sweats for all you care.

@Jenlm As for female haircuts, supposively it was optional before I went in, but everyone I've encountered have theirs cut, since a couple of months ago, Navy plans were to allow longer hair. I say look at the OCS (before yours) Check-In facebook pictures to get an idea.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Where's the integrity violation in buying a pair of brand new shoes and returning a pair of brand news shoes in brand new condition? I never wore them, lol.
So you just "borrowed" them from a retail outlet? Didn't know they let you do that.... There is a monetary cost to the retailer of stocking the product, possibly restocking it to keep and adequate supply on hand, and then receiving the return. You never had the intention of keeping the product and you twisted the retailer's policies far beyond their intended purpose.

I supposed next you're going to borrow a 70" 4K UHD TV from Costco to impress the girl you're trying to screw.

That you don't understand the lack of integrity of your actions speaks loudly of your lack of character. That you're posting and bragging about it shows how stupid you are.

SoopurHero816

I would buy two of the same pairs of shoes that way 1) you can use the unused ones for RLP and 2) in anticipation of the X miles of wear, you will have a brand new pair after OCS that you used in RLP to utilize when you start up your secondary training. I think there, you are gaining the positive points during RLP and not blemishing your integrity and honesty by purchasing a pair of shoes that the retailer won't have to take back and you'll actually utilize. @HAL Pilot do you think this would be a more respectful option than what @Bluecore was suggesting? I typically refer to the statement, "if you have to question if an action or statement is ethically/morally right, then more than likely it is not," but this is kind of a grey area.

Sonog

pilot
^ Nothing wrong with keeping a new pair for the RLP. I never had a problem with that. It was the buy with intent to return that is lacking integrity and honest.

If you want to get into the ethics of wasting a retailers resources through an egregious integrity violation such as abusing their return policy, what about the waste of resources that went into producing some shitty $30 pair of sneakers that you purchased so the big bad meanie in the smokey bear hat wouldn't yell at you and make you do some extra pushups? What is someone going to do with those high top all white "running shoes" that they used for RLP? Throw them out? Fuck it, return them, because they shouldn't have bought them in the first place because the whole reason for having to buy them in the first place is dumb.

Gold advice for OCS: you can't get too many pictures for the women in your life when it comes time to order them. Also, when designing your class t-shirt's and such keep it simple and go for high quality material rather than some elaborate design with shitty material that you'll never wear out in public several years later. Our class dropped a ton of money on these outrageous shirts that I have never seen a single person (including myself) that I bought them for ever wear. Because they felt like shit and they looked ridiculous.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you want to get into the ethics of wasting a retailers resources through an egregious integrity violation such as abusing their return policy, what about the waste of resources that went into producing some shitty $30 pair of sneakers that you purchased so the big bad meanie in the smokey bear hat wouldn't yell at you and make you do some extra pushups? What is someone going to do with those high top all white "running shoes" that they used for RLP? Throw them out? Fuck it, return them, because they shouldn't have bought them in the first place because the whole reason for having to buy them in the first place is dumb.
So the NEX and NEX customers (through higher prices) should pay for the dumb policies of OCS?

Actually I do see it as a choice for the officer candidate. Use your regular shoes as I positive OCS will allow and accept the extra DI attention, or spend a little money for your own comfort and convenience. I myself would spend the money and feel it was well worth it.

You know what they say....once you give up integrity the rest is easy. I guess you always go for easy.

LET73

This discussion (on buying new/duplicate items for RLP) comes up every so often, and it always makes me grateful that our DI told us in no uncertain terms that we were not to buy anything new for the inspection. They found plenty of things to hit us on, but as far as I know, no one got hit for having running shoes that showed signs of having been used for actual running.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Doesn't the OCS guidance still suggest bringing two pairs anyways? Use the one pair for PT, and the other for inspections. Once the pair you wore for PT are worn out you will have new running shoes. It's not like you're really wasting the money when class teams say they want unused shoes. It is money you won't spend later.

jugg34naut

pilot
I read over 1,200 posts in this thread, definitely recommend it. You can see changes over the last 3-4 years, but there are many similar questions whose answers haven’t changed (ie getting there, tdy instead of pcs, moving stuff, etc..). Also, attached is a long, but recent (23Oct 15) gouge of OCS someone posted in a different sub-forum. Despite those, I still have a few questions.

1.) A motif is comfort, so…
Swim Goggles?
How many soft white towels (big/small)?
Anything other little things not considered contraband?

2.) PT
As an IRONMAN triathlete and HS track coach (who does all the workouts) PT, PFA, and RPT shouldn’t be a problem. Am I able to do additional PT such as swim, bike, and run?

3.) Medical
Is removal of wisdom teeth necessary?

4.) Other
Get a glasses strap, or will new glasses be issued? Mine are just cheapo brown metal.
Is it alright to bring an electric toothbrush?
Currently don't have checks, so is there a form for direct deposit? Might just a USAA account though..

You may be fit but a workout with a Marine Corps drill instructor is something to experience. Unless things have changed since I was there, I highly doubt much has changed by way of the DI's desire, motivation, and ability to give a good smokin.