• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

LadyT

Definitely not. Unless you had a 'chit' from a doctor allowing you to wear them. There was one person in my class that had those glasses that automatically darken in sunlight, and I don't think anyone ever mentioned it. She may have had a chit though. Idk
So if I have prescription glasses that automatically darken, do you think I need to get another pair that don't?

Bluecore

On the issue of compression socks: if you are unable to get approval from the clinic to wear them, does that mean you are just not allowed to wear them when they would show and break uniform codes (like during PT), or are you also barred from wearing them during other times, such as when you are wearing pants and when you are in your room?

nightflaw

Definitely not. Unless you had a 'chit' from a doctor allowing you to wear them. There was one person in my class that had those glasses that automatically darken in sunlight, and I don't think anyone ever mentioned it. She may have had a chit though. Idk
Random question I was going to PM you but decided it might be valuable for others to see as well:

I see in your signature that you finished OCS early July but aren't reporting to API until the end of September. What are you doing until then? Do you complete IFS during this time or would you only start that when you report to API on the 25th?

On the issue of compression socks: if you are unable to get approval from the clinic to wear them, does that mean you are just not allowed to wear them when they would show and break uniform codes (like during PT), or are you also barred from wearing them during other times, such as when you are wearing pants and when you are in your room?

You could definitely wear them in your room. If they're black, you could probably wear them as boot socks with NWUs.

Random question I was going to PM you but decided it might be valuable for others to see as well:

I see in your signature that you finished OCS early July but aren't reporting to API until the end of September. What are you doing until then? Do you complete IFS during this time or would you only start that when you report to API on the 25th?

Right now Pensacola is pretty backed up with full classes, so all SNAs from OCS are doing OHARP (Officer Hometown Area Recruiting Program). Basically, I'm working in my local recruiting office, helping the actual recruiters. I personally won't be doing IFS(private pilot license), but if I was, it wouldn't happen until I get down to Pensacola in September. So even when I report to Pensacola on the 25th, I'll have anywhere from 1 to 16 weeks of being A-Pool, waiting to start API. It's during A-Pool that you complete all of your final medical exams, PFA, and IFS if need be.

nightflaw

Right now Pensacola is pretty backed up with full classes, so all SNAs from OCS are doing OHARP (Officer Hometown Area Recruiting Program). Basically, I'm working in my local recruiting office, helping the actual recruiters. I personally won't be doing IFS(private pilot license), but if I was, it wouldn't happen until I get down to Pensacola in September. So even when I report to Pensacola on the 25th, I'll have anywhere from 1 to 16 weeks of being A-Pool, waiting to start API. It's during A-Pool that you complete all of your final medical exams, PFA, and IFS if need be.
Thanks so much, that is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully the "everyone does OHARP" rule is still in effect when I graduate...it would make selling the house and shipping my wife -- I mean household goods -- down to Pensacola so much easier.

Pwinslow

Hey guys, going to OCS in a month, and I've been researching online what I should bring. Found lots of information but with varying details.

Would like to know if anyone has a top-tier checklist of items to bring to OCS for maximum comfort! Thanks

torpedotor

I'm sure someone can produce a more complete list of items to bring, but here are some tips I thought of just to make things sliiiightly easier and more comfortable:

To Bring:
Nice boot socks (e.g., Fox River) (The days I wore those (as opposed to the ones we were issued) were just slightly better than other days.)
Soft bath towels (You'll be issued some, but again: comfort.)
Plenty of comfortable underwear and athletic socks (to extend the time between loads of laundry)
Blue undershirts for five-ish weeks, white undershirts for six-ish weeks (You'll be issued around, what, three to six of each? Can't remember.)

Don't bother bringing:
Nail polish (contraband)
A ton of white underwear (You'll only need one or two pairs of white (for summer/dress whites); the rest can really be any color. You do get issued some as well, but, well... It's up to you.)
Books or magazines (You won't have time.)
Advil, cough drops, or other OTC medicines (Just go to sick call when you get a headache or sore throat and they'll issue them to you for free.)

For Candi-O phase, make sure you've got a smartphone. A laptop or tablet could also be a good idea. I left my laptop in my lucky bag and used it to listen to music in my room the last three weeks, and I know one guy brought his tablet and used it for his Candi-O billet.

Also, one thing I didn't know was that after a few weeks, you'll be allowed to go to the Navy Exchange (NEX) and purchase things you need (or want) as long as it's not contraband. And yes, there are checks for those kinds of things, so don't buy anything you wouldn't want your class team knowing about.

Also, hi @RealMattyThomas! We were in the same class. Can you think of anything else?

If you have questions about specific items and whether or not you should bring them, ask away.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
I'm sure someone can produce a more complete list of items to bring, but here are some tips I thought of just to make things sliiiightly easier and more comfortable:

Hey @torpedotor, thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated! I was hoping you could clarify a few things. First, when you say "plenty," of underwear and socks, how many are you thinking? Second, when you say blue and white undershirts for five and six weeks, are we talking one-a-day (i.e., 35 blue undershirts and 42 white undershirts)? I'm assuming there will be laundry at some point so I don't want to bring too many or too few.

kawo11

Pro Rec Y SNA/NFO
@torpedotor I have a stupid question about OCS. Do we or do we not have an initial fitness test on day two? I keep finding conflicting information from 2007-2012. I'm ready to go at all times, but curiosity is driving me crazy. Thank you and congratulations!!

Bluecore

@torpedotor I have a stupid question about OCS. Do we or do we not have an initial fitness test on day two? I keep finding conflicting information from 2007-2012. I'm ready to go at all times, but curiosity is driving me crazy. Thank you and congratulations!!

I believe it is the first Wednesday. Or maybe Tuesday. It's definitely in the first 3 or 4 days, you do an "in" PT test.

Pwinslow

To Bring:
Nice boot socks (e.g., Fox River) (The days I wore those (as opposed to the ones we were issued) were just slightly better than other days.)
Soft bath towels (You'll be issued some, but again: comfort.)
Plenty of comfortable underwear and athletic socks (to extend the time between loads of laundry)
Blue undershirts for five-ish weeks, white undershirts for six-ish weeks (You'll be issued around, what, three to six of each? Can't remember.)

Don't bother bringing:
Nail polish (contraband)
A ton of white underwear (You'll only need one or two pairs of white (for summer/dress whites); the rest can really be any color. You do get issued some as well, but, well... It's up to you.)
Books or magazines (You won't have time.)
Advil, cough drops, or other OTC medicines (Just go to sick call when you get a headache or sore throat and they'll issue them to you for free.)

For Candi-O phase, make sure you've got a smartphone. A laptop or tablet could also be a good idea. I left my laptop in my lucky bag and used it to listen to music in my room the last three weeks, and I know one guy brought his tablet and used it for his Candi-O billet.

Also, one thing I didn't know was that after a few weeks, you'll be allowed to go to the Navy Exchange (NEX) and purchase things you need (or want) as long as it's not contraband. And yes, there are checks for those kinds of things, so don't buy anything you wouldn't want your class team knowing about.

Also, hi @RealMattyThomas! We were in the same class. Can you think of anything else?

If you have questions about specific items and whether or not you should bring them, ask away.

Thanks for the response.

Which type of Fox Rivers do you recommend? Strykers?