• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

LadyT

I bought a black G-Shock Rangeman (GW9400-1). It's pretty intense and dramatically more complicated than anything I would ever need. lol
I just looked up your watch...definitely intense lol. Not sure if I need that much watch...but at least you won't ever get lost lol.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Are the dress socks black or Navy blue? Over the calf or below the calf? I am ordering some Thorlos socks to bring to OCS.

Did you mean to say dress socks or boot socks? Both are black by the way (according to the uniform issue sheet). I'm not sure about over the calf or below the calf. I ordered some Thorlo combat boot socks and some Fox River boot socks, both over the calf. I'm hoping to test them out to see which I like better. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to wear boots very often.

psulaw0929

I already ordered the combat boot socks from them. I'm wondering about the socks worn while in khakis and dress blues.

Ah! Yes, the dress socks are black. I'm not sure what length though. Sorry about that, I didn't know Thorlo made dress socks. I'm definitely going to have to look into getting some of those. What are your thoughts on the Thorlo combat boot socks?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I already ordered the combat boot socks from them. I'm wondering about the socks worn while in khakis and dress blues.
For the khakis, you wear black shoes and socks while you're at OCS. After that, pilots and NFO's wear brown shoes and khaki socks. You won't need them before API, though, so you can just pick them up at the NEX while at OCS.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You'll be issued all necessary uniform items at OCS. If you want special boot socks to make your feet more comfortable in NWUs then fine, but it's not necessary to pre-order socks... particularly not ones worn in khakis or dress uniforms.

Keep in mind that no one is going to ask you to lift up your pant leg to inspect how your socks fit. As long as they are the right color, you are good to go.

Finally, even if you bring your own socks then they will probably throw the standard NEX socks into your seabag anyway, which you ultimately pay for toward the end.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I know they issue what we need. I am getting much nicer socks to make life at OCS a little bit easier, which will be worth every cent IMO.
Are you sure that nuking the ankle length of your socks for dress uniforms is actually making your life easier? I think you've already spent too much time thinking about the issue.

psulaw0929

Stupid Question: As a civilian, I prefer the look of brown shoes with khaki. I see in the uniform regulations that brown shoes are authorized with khaki, regardless of designator. I know that everyone wears black shoes at OCS but would it be disrespectful/uncouth/indecorous for someone not in aviation (I'll be in Intel) to wear brown shoes with khaki in the fleet? Or does no one really care?

MS21089

Stupid Question: As a civilian, I prefer the look of brown shoes with khaki. I see in the uniform regulations that brown shoes are authorized with khaki, regardless of designator. I know that everyone wears black shoes at OCS but would it be disrespectful/uncouth/indecorous for someone not in aviation (I'll be in Intel) to wear brown shoes with khaki in the fleet? Or does no one really care?

People care. Although it is not in the regs, it is a tradition and the Navy is very big in upholding traditions. You technically could wear them, but you also could set yourself a part in a very negative fashion as an Ensign.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Your best bet is to follow the unwritten rules and stick to black shoes.

psulaw0929

People care. Although it is not in the regs, it is a tradition and the Navy is very big in upholding traditions. You technically could wear them, but you also could set yourself a part in a very negative fashion as an Ensign.

Thanks for the clarification. Black it is.

Ka1ax

Any idea how long the selection board takes to make its decision? Also, how long after you've been selected would you expect to go to OCS?

LadyT

Any idea how long the selection board takes to make its decision? Also, how long after you've been selected would you expect to go to OCS?
Generally the boards are relatively quick (couple of weeks), but sometimes it can take up to 2 months (see Sept. 2014 IDC board). As far as how soon after will you go to OCS....only the gods know lol. Unless you are a special circumstance (for example, age critical) there is really no telling how long you will have to wait.