• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

uncdude33

Interesting, I guess they aren't as concerned due to the vast size difference in trainee populations of the two training sites. But it is called a peanut butter shot because the liquid is very thick.

VoodooNova

None
At OCS, we did not receive the peanut butter shot (this is as of the end of February, but I doubt it has changed). If you bring your immunization docs, you may only have to get 1-2 of them.

luvmychevy1951

Thanks! I have my full medical record saying Ive gotten 3 of them so hopefully I am good. To answer other individual's questions it is called the peanut butter shot because it is thick and it hurts pretty bad. My advice if anyone here does have to get it is to make sure NOT to flex your butt! You will thank me later! First time I got it I didnt expect it to hurt and then clenched SUPER hard...had a limp for a week! :)

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Thanks! I have my full medical record saying Ive gotten 3 of them so hopefully I am good. To answer other individual's questions it is called the peanut butter shot because it is thick and it hurts pretty bad. My advice if anyone here does have to get it is to make sure NOT to flex your butt! You will thank me later! First time I got it I didnt expect it to hurt and then clenched SUPER hard...had a limp for a week! :)

I had a top rack in basic, and would swing my legs over the side to jump out of it every morning. The morning after this shot, I did the same, only to have my leg give out. My collapsing to the floor might have drawn more attention if nine other people hadn't done the exact same thing.

mhunter

None
I texted my OR about this today but haven't gotten a response yet. Are we allowed to bring compression sleeves for shin splints? If so, what color? I would assume white since we wear white running socks. I recently started getting shin splints and I've been looking at getting some sleeves to help out.

bluehens15

I texted my OR about this today but haven't gotten a response yet. Are we allowed to bring compression sleeves for shin splints? If so, what color? I would assume white since we wear white running socks. I recently started getting shin splints and I've been looking at getting some sleeves to help out.

How old are your shoes? If they are new you may just have to give sometime to break them in. Also, if you cannot bring the sleeves, try focusing on seriously stretching and rolling out your calves. That would really help. Also, before you run, you can massage and stretch the muscle on either side of your tibia that is giving you the most problems to loosen it up. And after your run, have a frozen cup of water in a paper cup and rip away the top to use it as an ice massage.

mhunter

None
How old are your shoes? If they are new you may just have to give sometime to break them in. Also, if you cannot bring the sleeves, try focusing on seriously stretching and rolling out your calves. That would really help. Also, before you run, you can massage and stretch the muscle on either side of your tibia that is giving you the most problems to loosen it up. And after your run, have a frozen cup of water in a paper cup and rip away the top to use it as an ice massage.
The shoes are good. Where I run, the side of the road is slightly slanted in places. It's my inside leg getting the shin splints. I'm fine on hard road surfaces, but I think the slant in the road is starting to get to me the more I run. Hey, that's a good idea about the frozen cup! I'll have to try that!

bluehens15

The shoes are good. Where I run, the side of the road is slightly slanted in places. It's my inside leg getting the shin splints. I'm fine on hard road surfaces, but I think the slant in the road is starting to get to me the more I run. Hey, that's a good idea about the frozen cup! I'll have to try that!

Yeah that makes sense, the muscle on the inside of your leg is the dominant muscle that comes into play with shin splints. I'm an athletic trainer so if you have any more questions about that kind of stuff let me know!

mhunter

None
Yeah that makes sense, the muscle on the inside of your leg is the dominant muscle that comes into play with shin splints. I'm an athletic trainer so if you have any more questions about that kind of stuff let me know!
I typed that wrong haha. It's only one leg (the one toward the center of the road) and the main pain is on the front of my shin toward the outside of my leg.

bluehens15

I typed that wrong haha. It's only one leg (the one toward the center of the road) and the main pain is on the front of my shin toward the outside of my leg.

Sounds like tibialis anterior. Do the ice cup and rub it out. Stretch it by turning your foot inwards and downwards with some over pressure. Also, starting on all fours with the top of your feet flat on the ground, and lean back into it so you're straight up. It'll act as a quad stretch too

mhunter

None
Sounds like tibialis anterior. Do the ice cup and rub it out. Stretch it by turning your foot inwards and downwards with some over pressure. Also, starting on all fours with the top of your feet flat on the ground, and lean back into it so you're straight up. It'll act as a quad stretch too
Thanks man! And that's exactly where it's at!

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Couple stupid questions before I ship this weekend:

I know I've seen it in this thread before, but can anyone recent (or from a previous summer class) confirm that graduation and hi-moms are both unlimited for guests, as long as we cover any per-seat catering costs?

I'm non-prior with dependents and I have all the necessary materials needed to enter them in DEERS. However, once that happens, how does my family go about getting base access and an ID card? Particularly given that I will have ALL their vital records in Newport?

Thanks!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Is it like a thick substance in the needle? Do you taste peanut butter when you receive the shot? I am curious why it is called peanut butter shot.

The liquid is extremely viscous and feels like peanut butter going in. It's not fun and hurts for days after. Honestly, you're probably not going to get one at OCS unless it's an emergency, life-threatening condition. Even then, you have a full emergency room available in town to fix whatever's wrong. Now, once you get on deployment, that's a whole 'nother story. I got sick halfway thru an extended underway on my last deployment and had to get two penicillin shots within a 24 hour period. Doc said that if that and the broad-spectrum anti-biotic pills he gave didn't work he would have to medevac me. Long story short, it was a fun few days.

Life Pro Tip: If you ever have the misfortune to receive a penicillin shot, make sure you massage the injection site afterwards; it helps the discomfort go away sooner.

Whitefoot

None
Couple stupid questions before I ship this weekend:

I know I've seen it in this thread before, but can anyone recent (or from a previous summer class) confirm that graduation and hi-moms are both unlimited for guests, as long as we cover any per-seat catering costs?

I'm non-prior with dependents and I have all the necessary materials needed to enter them in DEERS. However, once that happens, how does my family go about getting base access and an ID card? Particularly given that I will have ALL their vital records in Newport?

Thanks!
I graduated May 22. We put a cap on at 10 per person for the hi-moms just because of the venue size. As far as I know the grad was unlimited because it was outside. If is indoors (due to rain or other unforeseen circumstances) it may be indoor at the war college. As for your dependents and ID cards: Get them a Power of attorney...it may be too late for that if you ship this weekend though. Otherwise, you will have to wait a little while to get them id cards. If you have any other questions just shoot me a PM.