• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Bluecore

Stupid question: What brands and models of razors are sold at the BX, or whatever we have access to during OCS to buy things? I want to buy something before I go. and want to get something I can buy extra razors for while I am there.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Stupid question: What brands and models of razors are sold at the BX, or whatever we have access to during OCS to buy things? I want to buy something before I go. and want to get something I can buy extra razors for while I am there.
Exchanges carry most major brands. If it's anything like bootcamp, that 5-blade razor is your best bet.
I just wish they'd let us use electric shavers.

OKI_bound

Semi-stuid question: As far as guests, how does OCS graduation work? I heard they only allot four tickets per student?... Trying to at least get an idea so I can pass the info to my family. Thanks.

KMC1020

Here's a good stupid question for ya:

How much room do we have to store our hygiene products? Just wondering how much I'm allowed to bring. The list on the OCS website doesn't specify what all we're allowed to bring in that department. For example, would I have enough room to bring shampoo, conditioner, body wash and face wash? Or should I condense that down to bar soap and a shampoo/conditioner mix? Also, are we allowed to bring hair dryers? Thanks!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You should have room for the hygiene products you listed, just don't go too overboard since you have to share that shower area with three other people.
Not sure about hair dryers, I believe they're not allowed, unless anything has changed in the past two years since I've been there.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW

How much room do we have to store our hygiene products? Just wondering how much I'm allowed to bring. The list on the OCS website doesn't specify what all we're allowed to bring in that department. For example, would I have enough room to bring shampoo, conditioner, body wash and face wash? Or should I condense that down to bar soap and a shampoo/conditioner mix? Also, are we allowed to bring hair dryers? Thanks!
From a female that recently graduated OCS: your coffin locker (see bed locker) is not inspectable as long as it's locked. If you're organized, you can fit a ton of stuff in there.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot

I used a 3 in one body shampoo wash, just to save minutes in the morning because we often have a short time frame for hygiene. How long you're gonna ask? Sometimes 10-15 minutes. Sometimes 30, and 45. But you have to share a shower with another person, get your room inspection ready, etc.

luvmychevy1951

Here's my add to the dumb questions list... Being prior service...do I have to get ALL my shots again? Primarily...do I have to get the peanut butter shot again? Man I hated that!!

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Also: I have 6 ribbons that are allowed in Navy uniform. Are ultra-thins allowed?

From what I've heard, you are encouraged to bring prepared ribbons and medals to OCS, as you will be needing them for graduation and your khaki uniform. Thin ribbons may be at the discretion of our class team, but a few OCS grads I've spoken to said that they has used thin ribbons.
I plan on bringing a regular ribbon rack, a thin ribbon rack, and my mounted medals.

uncdude33

Its a penicillin shot in the ass cheek. Its called a peanut butter shot, and you will definitely have to get one. Depending on sicknesses with folks there you may have to get two. While in boot camp they gave us all a second one because a certain number of people had become sick and they have a protocol to avoid widespread illness. Its not a fun shot, especially when you get a corpsman trainee.

LadyT

Its a penicillin shot in the ass cheek. Its called a peanut butter shot, and you will definitely have to get one. Depending on sicknesses with folks there you may have to get two. While in boot camp they gave us all a second one because a certain number of people had become sick and they have a protocol to avoid widespread illness. Its not a fun shot, especially when you get a corpsman trainee.
Is it like a thick substance in the needle? Do you taste peanut butter when you receive the shot? I am curious why it is called peanut butter shot.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Probably because it sounds a bit better than "penicillin ass-cheek shot."
EDIT: Google says it's because it's really thick.
and you will definitely have to get one.
I don't remember getting anything like that at OCS. I remember OCS being a pain in the ass in general, but...

Last edited: