• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Maybe someone could point me to the right thread or just pass on their experience--but what kind and how much communication will candidates have with the outside world? Letters, email, phone calls, etc.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Maybe someone could point me to the right thread or just pass on their experience--but what kind and how much communication will candidates have with the outside world? Letters, email, phone calls, etc.
After Indoc Week, we had access to mail on a daily basis. Email after passing RLP. And then phone varies based on class team, but I think we had a couple hours on the weekends after drill comp then complete access while candios.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
If any, how much weight do people loss while at OCS? I think I might start to starve at some point because I maintain weight at 3,000 calories a day and my caloric needs are only going to go up.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
If any, how much weight do people loss while at OCS? I think I might start to starve at some point because I maintain weight at 3,000 calories a day and my caloric needs are only going to go up.

It will depend on your current weight at the time you show up to OCS, but overall you will lose some weight. If you are overweight, count on having a rough time and losing a bunch of weight. I was pretty skinny and still lost about 5-10lbs. However, you will recover most, if not all the weight loss when you are in the Candio phase, when you are allowed to eat as much as you want. We did have the strange case of a girl in my class who got injured because she showed up totally unprepared and then got fatter while unable to do PT. I can't believe she didn't roll and commissioned with us. That was exactly 4 years ago to this day!

Gator Guard

always knife hands
I'm sort of in a dietary pickle. I am an avid weight lifter (my cardiovascular strength is not ignored don't worry) and go through bulk and cut cycles. I ended my last bulk cycle recently but instead of cutting I am maintaining.

If I diet now, I will probably be around 185-190 pounds by the time OCS starts and my maintenance calories would be around 2300. That's about as low a weight I want to go right now.

If I don't diet I will go into OCS at 203 with maintenance at 3000 calories. If I do that, I could end up cannibalizing muscle rapidly.

What to do...?

I am tempted to diet now so I'm not starving at OCS and if I do lose another 10 pounds while there I would be at about 6% BF.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
I'm sort of in a dietary pickle. I am an avid weight lifter (my cardiovascular strength is not ignored don't worry) and go through bulk and cut cycles. I ended my last bulk cycle recently but instead of cutting I am maintaining.

If I diet now, I will probably be around 185-190 pounds by the time OCS starts and my maintenance calories would be around 2300. That's about as low a weight I want to go right now.

If I don't diet I will go into OCS at 203 with maintenance at 3000 calories. If I do that, I could end up cannibalizing muscle rapidly.

What to do...?

I am tempted to diet now so I'm not starving at OCS and if I do lose another 10 pounds while there I would be at about 6% BF.

It's up to you but honestly, I wouldn't overthink it. You'll be fine man. Either one makes sense in a way, but don't forget that OCS is only 12 weeks long, of which the last 3 you'll be able to eat all you want and you are only really "food deprived" during the Indoc phase, the first three weeks.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Two questions regarding push-ups at OCS:

1. Approx. how many push-ups can I expect to do in one single session at OCS?
2. How many total push-ups can I expect to have to do in one day at OCS?

I am looking for the maximums here. I have no problem with the running or sit-ups portion of the PRT, but I suck at push-ups. I would like to know what to expect so that I can have goal for when I workout. Thanks!

croakerfish

pilot

What to do...?

Yeah, OCS is going to screw you up a little. It's not the end of the world, but expect a lack of sufficient exercise and calories to maintain muscle, especially for a bodybuilder type. Now you know how those female candidates feel when their hair gets butchered I guess...

croakerfish

pilot

I am looking for the maximums here. I have no problem with the running or sit-ups portion of the PRT, but I suck at push-ups. I would like to know what to expect so that I can have goal for when I workout. Thanks!

The maximum you'll do at any one time is probably your PRTs. For regular PT I don't think I ever did more than 30 in a set. For beatings you'll just do a few, maybe weird stuff like being made to do them super slowly, holding at the bottom etc then it's "bear crawl that way" and you do some other dumb activity.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot

It depends on your class team and who is conducting the RPT session.

1. For a session, it can be around 10-20, but if they are nice. But you will lose count because you simply are not "fast enough."
2. For a day, it can be as low just morning PT. And as many as how often your class f's up.

If you are shooting for max, most likely you will need to do a little more private PT in your hatch.

egiv

I've got a question for those who have already been to OCS, and were married. How did you go about bringing your spouse's Identification card to Newport? My wife does not have a passport, and the DMV will not issue her a State ID in addition to her Driver's license. If I bring her original ID, she will be left home without a license. If I DO have to bring the original ID, how long until I will be able to mail it back to her?

I had this issue too - why they need the original and not a copy is beyond me. When I went I brought her original ID with a pre-addressed/paid for overnight envelope so that once they didn't need it, I could have a candio toss it in the mail. The reality is that I waited at least a week or two before I was able to send it back. You need it to enroll your wife in DEERS, which doesn't happen until the second or third week, during which time your wife is pretty much stuck. What I recommend is either having her get a passport (if you have enough time before leaving) or just calling Newport PSD (the people who do the enrollment) and asking them what you can do.

http://www.military.com/base-guide/naval-station-newport/contact/personnel-support-detachment/9595