• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
They've changed the chain of command around a lot in the last year or so. Don't sweat it, the whole course is designed so that someone can show up on day one knowing nothing about the course and get through in one piece. You'll have plenty of time get it sorted out.

crunchthehuman

pilot
I'm headed to Newport in few weeks and I'm a little worried about my body weight. I'm heavy for my height, but I have a pretty low body fat composition and I'm in good shape. My recruiter said I would be fine since my body fat is low, but is there any way that might make things difficult as far as my physical goes?

jaimej

There are a lot of things in that book that don't match up with information listed elsewhere (including the OCS website itself). I wouldn't rely on it.
Yea, even the Mission of the Navy was wrong. I guess what I really want to know for sanity's sake is, is the Vice President in the Chain of Command? In the OCS website PDF, he is not, and in the OCS website info he is.

jander12

pilot
I'm headed to Newport in few weeks and I'm a little worried about my body weight. I'm heavy for my height, but I have a pretty low body fat composition and I'm in good shape. My recruiter said I would be fine since my body fat is low, but is there any way that might make things difficult as far as my physical goes?
I assume they'll do what the Navy does and "rope & choke" you... they'll measure your waist and neck and determine a BF% from that. Under 22% and you're good to go. The below should be pretty close to what they'd calculate.

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Edit: I've always been measured. I'm working towards OCS being the first time I won't have to be... all muscle :)

I assume they'll do what the Navy does and "rope & choke" you... they'll measure your waist and neck and determine a BF% from that. Under 22% and you're good to go. The below should be pretty close to what they'd calculate.

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Edit: I've always been measured. I'm working towards OCS being the first time I won't have to be... all muscle :)

Just a quick correction. It's a maximum of 22% for males, so if you show up at 22% you should be fine by PRT standards.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Do we have to know the difference between red embroidered and gold embroidered wings? Also is there a distinction difference? Noticed this in top gun randomly and couldn't find an answer.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Do we have to know the difference between red embroidered and gold embroidered wings? Also is there a distinction difference? Noticed this in top gun randomly and couldn't find an answer.
It didn't come up at all when I was there. All you'll have to know for OCS is "gold embroidered or gold metal," or however it's phrased in the gouge book nowadays. They don't often go into detail on the designator pins other than the verbatim description.

America

Hey all,

Should we know the collar devices, shoulder boards, and sleeve insignias?

Cramming and trying to decide what's pertinent and what's not.

Thanks for all the assistance!

VoodooNova

None
Hey all,

Should we know the collar devices, shoulder boards, and sleeve insignias?

Cramming and trying to decide what's pertinent and what's not.

Thanks for all the assistance!

You should know all three, since they're all in the booklet.

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
Yea, even the Mission of the Navy was wrong. I guess what I really want to know for sanity's sake is, is the Vice President in the Chain of Command? In the OCS website PDF, he is not, and in the OCS website info he is.

Basically, the VP only has as much power as the President gives him. His only constitutional power is to preside over the Senate and cast a tie-breaking vote when needed, a role traditionally carried out by the President pro tempore. The VP is also a part of the process for declaring the President unable to discharge his duties, along with half of the cabinet.