• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does this hold true for SWO/Officer as well? I know my intuition says "everything is going to be great cause no one wants Norfolk or Little Creek except me" lol
Consider that... besides the fact that Norfolk is the largest Navy surface ship homeport in the country (and probably in our known galaxy); and it is not a very popular homeport among our "Skimmer" crews... whadda y'all thinks? duh;)
Judging from the cross section of our facebook class there are only going to be a few SWO's in our class as well. Hopefully this will increase my chances.
If your 'judgement' is correct, it should.:confused:
Someone give me a pat on the back and say it will be ok!
Pat pat pat... actually, don't screw up, and it will be just fine.:)

The 'Hammers' pierside at Norfolk
The Hammers!.jpg

*OBTW, Good luck in 90 day wonder school, Boats!:D
BzB, prior ET2 (SS):cool:

Last edited:

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Mainly my wife's concern she just set into that "oh my god this is happening again mode" with me going to OCS next month. Worried about how she would try to manage them from afar.

Consider that... besides the fact that Norfolk is the largest Navy surface ship homeport in the country (and probably in our known galaxy); and it is not a very popular homeport among our "Skimmer" crews... whadda y'all thinks? duh;)

BzB

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
A lot of people have said the same thing when I say we want to stay Norfolk area. There will be someone glad to have the other set of orders to go elsewhere.

I never heard of a SWO who couldn't get Norfolk orders. If you want to bite that bullet, have fun.

findingo ponbay

Currently (as of Nov 2012), the only time you will even get in the pool at OCS is for your 3rd class swim qual. It involves jumping from an elevated platform (about one story high), swimming 50 yrds without drowning, a dead mans float for a few minutes, and a quick lesson on how to inflate a pair of khakis for use as a life jacket. It takes all of about thirty minutes, and will not be a problem if you have spent any time in the water. bdr will be just fine.

If, however, a candidate has never been in a swimming pool before then you should DEFINITELY spend some time at the local pool figuring out which side of the water is safe to breath from, and how to get from one side to the other.

There will also be an open swim hour several times a week (MWF if I recall correctly) during Candio that is supposedly just for aviators, but anyone can hop in. H class has their swim hour immediately afterwards, and no one will kick you out when this happens. You can stay in the pool for two hours three days a week if you so desire (and have the time).

I"m worried about this too. It's 2013 now and I keep being told by my recruiters that everything has changed, yet have not gotten one straight answer on this topic. How much do we have to swim at OCS? The OCS website says the 50 yds and all that's been stated here. However, under the PRT standards it states a timed 500 yd and 450m swim. Which is it?

Novaspike

The prt standards are if you actually swim the prt (vice running). From the sound of it, the swim qual is very similar to enlisted boot camp, i.e jump, swim, don't drown.

HLINGER_345

To get Swim Qualified at OCS you need to drop in to a pool from a diving board feet first holding your nose. After that you need to tread water for 5 minutes with no feet movement just arms. You then need to swim the length of a pool twice (50 yards) using either freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, or sidestroke with one arm. You can use a combination as well. Last you need to put on a jumpsuit similar to a flight suit. This suit has a zipper and the instructors will teach you how to fill it up with air and your goal is to have yourself floating in the water with all the air you put into the suit. I am currently on leave from OCS, about to go into my 9th week and what I wrote above is exactly what I did to get qualified along with my company.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
True that is what I meant. But people all around me were treading and doing what they had to do to stay afloat.
Right, we had a few that were treading like half the time. Then there was our class' only SPECWAR guy who stayed came up for breath like six times in five minutes. Also he was so muscular that he was completely submerged while holding his breath.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I"m worried about this too. It's 2013 now and I keep being told by my recruiters that everything has changed, yet have not gotten one straight answer on this topic. How much do we have to swim at OCS? The OCS website says the 50 yds and all that's been stated here. However, under the PRT standards it states a timed 500 yd and 450m swim. Which is it?
You will not swim the PRT. If you cant run the 1.5 mile (either to slow or you quit) you are going to H-Class. There are 4 PFA's (IST, In-PFA, Mid-PFA, Out-PFA). Failing any portion of the IST puts you in H-class for 3 weeks. Can't run your going to Med Hold. If your an aviator NAMI hates candidates that go into med hold.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Stupid question here...sort of along the lines of "what are the odds of getting jets" lol. For you SWO's how was the duty station selection. We own two homes in Virginia now and I know on the enlisted side it would be no problem getting Virginia orders. Does this hold true for SWO/Officer as well? I know my intuition says "everything is going to be great cause no one wants Norfolk or Little Creek except me" lol

Judging from the cross section of our facebook class there are only going to be a few SWO's in our class as well. Hopefully this will increase my chances.

Someone give me a pat on the back and say it will be ok!
During 6-7th week all the SWO's in your class will get together to figure out ship selection. You have aways until then. Focus on the steps ahead first.

BigRed389

None

The 'Hammers' pierside at Norfolk
View attachment 13246

*OBTW, Good luck in 90 day wonder school, Boats!:D
BzB, prior ET2 (SS):cool:

Civilians see that picture and think something like "Cool!" or "How many schools would that pay for?"

I see that picture and think "Morning traffic is going to be a BITCH!"