• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

JamesL37

Does that mean you can't "decline" your ProRec-Y for over the phone? I asked my OR to withdraw my application to Supply (which hasn't met yet) over the phone, but I can't help but being paranoid about someone making a mistake and declining my ProRec-Y SWO (first choice) instead.

exNavyOffRec

Does that mean you can't "decline" your ProRec-Y for over the phone? I asked my OR to withdraw my application to Supply (which hasn't met yet) over the phone, but I can't help but being paranoid about someone making a mistake and declining my ProRec-Y SWO (first choice) instead.

I wouldn't, I would want a record of what I sent to my OR, and when I was an OR I would want an email to protect my ass so there was no "the applicant is saying XXX"

JamesL37

I wouldn't, I would want a record of what I sent to my OR, and when I was an OR I would want an email to protect my ass so there was no "the applicant is saying XXX"

Sorry, but could you rephrase that? I'm not sure precisely what you mean by "I wouldn't".

exNavyOffRec

Sorry, but could you rephrase that? I'm not sure precisely what you mean by "I wouldn't".

you asked if you could decline over the phone, but I wouldn't.

The thing you need to learn when you get in the military is you need to have a CYA file (cover your ass), you may continually work with a bunch of great people, but then there is that one idiot that is going to cause you to have to justify something you have done.

JamesL37

you asked if you could decline over the phone, but I wouldn't.

The thing you need to learn when you get in the military is you need to have a CYA file (cover your ass), you may continually work with a bunch of great people, but then there is that one idiot that is going to cause you to have to justify something you have done.

I already asked my OR to withdraw my application to Supply... He said all he had to do was "talk to a processor to not send [my] kit to the Supply board." Is the process of "withdrawing" from a board that hasn't yet met different than "declining" a ProRec-Y?

exNavyOffRec

I already asked my OR to withdraw my application to Supply... He said all he had to do was "talk to a processor to not send [my] kit to the Supply board." Is the process of "withdrawing" from a board that hasn't yet met different than "declining" a ProRec-Y?

Yes, but either way I would send him an email, say something like, I just wanted to confirm with you that you have requested my application for Supply has been withdrawn. A method of correspondence that can be traced protects everyone.

JamesL37

Yes, but either way I would send him an email, say something like, I just wanted to confirm with you that you have requested my application for Supply has been withdrawn. A method of correspondence that can be traced protects everyone.

Thank you for the advice!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Sage advice for all the OCS prospects out there. There may not even be that one idiot, could be something that gets lost in the mail, or some sort of snafu with the "state-of-the-art" Dell computers running Microsoft Vista. So get it in writing (or on an e-mail, since nothing is ever deleted permanently from the Internet).
Also, if you get any kind of paperwork, immediately make copies and put the originals somewhere safe, maybe in some binders, a filing cabinet, a fireproof safe, or whatever works for you. This is called the "I love me" file. If anyone needs copies of your stuff, make copies of the copies, so that you don't have to touch the originals and you won't lose them. The only caveat is that when you check in and out of commands, you're gonna need your original orders in hand, but most everything else can be copies.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Eh, a little asterisk to that. Your official service record is electronic. So you only need to keep copies until you get an updated CD from bupers that you can download into your computer. If the file doesn't exist in the bupers website, then it's not in your service record (which might be because it isn't supposed to be).

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Eh, a little asterisk to that. Your official service record is electronic. So you only need to keep copies until you get an updated CD from bupers that you can download into your computer. If the file doesn't exist in the bupers website, then it's not in your service record (which might be because it isn't supposed to be).
Hmm I know the record's there on NSIPS, but I haven't gotten this CD yet. Was I supposed to?
Also the scuttlebutt was that they were eventually trying to put the ESR on the CAC card so you'd essentially have it on your person at all times.

exNavyOffRec

very true, and updating missing things can take a few times, but it is important to make sure records are accurate, a person may not think so at the time but it might be later.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hmm I know the record's there on NSIPS, but I haven't gotten this CD yet. Was I supposed to?
Also the scuttlebutt was that they were eventually trying to put the ESR on the CAC card so you'd essentially have it on your person at all times.
You have to ask for it. Google "bupers online" and login, from there you can access your service record and order a CD (CAC required).

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Stupid question here...sort of along the lines of "what are the odds of getting jets" lol. For you SWO's how was the duty station selection. We own two homes in Virginia now and I know on the enlisted side it would be no problem getting Virginia orders. Does this hold true for SWO/Officer as well? I know my intuition says "everything is going to be great cause no one wants Norfolk or Little Creek except me" lol

Judging from the cross section of our facebook class there are only going to be a few SWO's in our class as well. Hopefully this will increase my chances.

Someone give me a pat on the back and say it will be ok!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Stupid question here...sort of along the lines of "what are the odds of getting jets" lol. For you SWO's how was the duty station selection. We own two homes in Virginia now and I know on the enlisted side it would be no problem getting Virginia orders. Does this hold true for SWO/Officer as well? I know my intuition says "everything is going to be great cause no one wants Norfolk or Little Creek except me" lol

Judging from the cross section of our facebook class there are only going to be a few SWO's in our class as well. Hopefully this will increase my chances.

Someone give me a pat on the back and say it will be ok!

I never heard of a SWO who couldn't get Norfolk orders. If you want to bite that bullet, have fun.