• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

WEGL12

VT-28
As stupid as this sounds, eating by the numbers was by far the most hated part of OCS for me. I was pretty damn hungry the first week or so.

Agreed, chow hall the first two weeks was the worst part of the day. Plus our class wasn't great at eating by the numbers so our DI actually "fed" us a few times by counting. Makes something that sucks be even worse. I never was able to eat more than half of what I had on my plate. Eating by the number went away around week four for us because of policy changes. I guess it's a good thing but it was the source of many laughs each night while we had to eat that way.

WEGL12

VT-28
The hoses went away shortly before you guys got there. Which I never understood, because I'm sure summer classes would have liked the cool off. Visits to the sand pits in general used to be a lot more common, I'm told. One chief told us that one of his classes about two years ago used to have 20 minutes to fill their p-way with sand, then they'd get SUYA'd indoors, and then they'd have 20 minutes to clean it. Amazingly, they could do it. He also said once they had a 'gear adrift problem' so they threw all of their clothes into the kill zone, covered them with detergent, and then planted the guidon in the middle so they could get it out. "It looked like friggin' Iwo Jima and made for a good class t-shirt" or something like that.

Good. The whole rationale for having them over there was like "The DORs in King Hall have bad attitudes that rub off on the med holders!" - apparently a med holder who quit was partially egged on by a DOR or something. They also used to have much more loose liberty rules etc for med holders - dunno why that changed. I think the med holders would be better off in King. The student pool candios are dedicated folks - people who are willing to hang around for months after graduation to get a new designator. And most of the DORs are like "eh, it wasn't for me" and aren't particularly bitter about it. If anything, student pool would be a better influence on med hold than having to be around miserable old H-class all the time. Or, on a more practical level, there is space in King Hall and not as much in Nimitz.

I believe Med hold is getting moved over to King. At least there is talk about it but it's because of H-class needing more space. Several times H was full making it where classes couldn't have people roll because there was no where for them to go. Pretty much right now all the rolling takes place the first week. My class and the next class didn't have anyone roll during RLP. Later heard it was because H couldn't handle more people. Maybe true because H had 24 people in it when we went through RLP and every room was full in their wing. Moving Med would free up more rooms for H and be better for the people in Med.

Zeppelin89

They also are completely changing the indoor PT regimen, we've got bands now. They gave them out based on your overall PT score, so you have these tiny women with the "hard" band (blue) and then a 220 pound guy with an "easy" band (green).

Also, they are about to build a new SUYA next to new Nimitz. Enjoy indocs...

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Me 'no habla' SUYA…any help?

Sand Up Your A** . . .S.U.Y.A. It's the name of one of the few sand pits they had in Newport. The SUYA, the Rose Garden, and the Cookie Jar if I recall correctly. Basically, you get to go play around in the different sand boxes at your Drill Instructor's discretion.

Kinneary

Quick BAH question. I'm married and just want to make sure I don't need to move my wife in with her parents while I'm at OCS. Will I rate BAH for her while I'm there?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Sand Up Your A** . . .S.U.Y.A. It's the name of one of the few sand pits they had in Newport. The SUYA, the Rose Garden, and the Cookie Jar if I recall correctly. Basically, you get to go play around in the different sand boxes at your Drill Instructor's discretion.
And if you get to go to all three in one beating, it's called a Triple Crown. Those three are all relatively close to each other, so some DI's would make you bear crawl or crab walk from one to the next.
Hooyah, SUYA!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Quick BAH question. I'm married and just want to make sure I don't need to move my wife in with her parents while I'm at OCS. Will I rate BAH for her while I'm there?

Yes, just make sure you have all of the required documentation. It should be up on the OCS website, and you should get a pretty thorough brief from your OR before you head out about what you should take with you. Make sure you take originals or certified copies with you.

AmericanJoe

Hey guys, this is probably a stupid question, that's why I decided to throw it in here... But any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of putting together my packet for the DEC 2 OCS board meeting. I need to retest on the ASTB after taking it cold to raise my scores. My restest date is Oct 15. Problem is, I started a new job a little over a month ago and they do not allow any time off during the first 6 months of "orientation" period -- any absences are punishable by possible termination. This leaves me no time to visit the Recruiting offices as they are open and I work during regular business hours. So no testing or finishing up my last bit of paperwork/fingerprints/etc. Anyone run into problems like this? Any possible obvious solutions that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,

Joe

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Hey guys, this is probably a stupid question, that's why I decided to throw it in here... But any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of putting together my packet for the DEC 2 OCS board meeting. I need to retest on the ASTB after taking it cold to raise my scores. My restest date is Oct 15. Problem is, I started a new job a little over a month ago and they do not allow any time off during the first 6 months of "orientation" period -- any absences are punishable by possible termination. This leaves me no time to visit the Recruiting offices as they are open and I work during regular business hours. So no testing or finishing up my last bit of paperwork/fingerprints/etc. Anyone run into problems like this? Any possible obvious solutions that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe,
Discuss the situation with your OR, us recruiters are usually pretty flexible (can't speak for yours necessarily). He will look at it in one of two ways..."the juice is worth the squeeze"....or "if it's important enough you will make it happen". Not sure what kind of recruiter yours is, hopefully the sooner of the two.

eddieoctane

Really stupid question, but here goes anyway:

I'm trying to get some of my stuff together for OCS, and I noticed that we are supposed to bring white briefs. Is this that much of a sticking point, or could boxer-briefs or normal boxers be acceptable?

WEGL12

VT-28

I'm trying to get some of my stuff together for OCS, and I noticed that we are supposed to bring white briefs. Is this that much of a sticking point, or could boxer-briefs or normal boxers be acceptable?

According to my class team underwear was no longer restricted so you can wear any of the three as long as they are white. Might be class team specific so you might want to bring a few sets of briefs just in case.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Might be class team specific so you might want to bring a few sets of briefs just in case.
No need, you'll get some at the initial uniform issue on Sunday; class team won't get on your case about it until Wednesday (if at all). You're paying for them anyway, so might as well use 'em.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

No one will see enough of your underwear to know the difference, and folding skivvies is no longer a part of RLP. Go with what you want.