• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

MGoBrew11

pilot
Yea, in fairness I went through with khakis. The parka and liner cost something like $400 alone or some crazy amount. Then you need to buy four sets of smurf uniforms at like $160/each and pay $20/each in like tailoring/taping fees.

There's a reason I only have two of those things.

Only if the class wants to. The T-shirt is $20 ish. Hi-moms we were able to do for under $10/person at the O-club. Coins? Your first salute coins cost $2, one for your DI and one for your CPO. Anything more than that is just silly unless you're giving it to a family member/friend. It's going to seem like a big deal at the time, but most DIs/CPOs don't keep a vat of 100s of silver dollars in their house. I'm quite certain my DI/CPO wouldn't even recognize me if they saw me, let alone remember me if they knew my name. After all, being well-known at OCS is rarely a good thing.

For uniforms these days you have no option: 3 sets of NWUs (even if you are going aviation and will probably never need them), 2 sets of khakis, 1 set of whites, SDBs, choker whites, trench coat, parka, PT gear....the list goes on.

Some of this is class dependent, yes, but classes are all spending much more than that. And while "optional", you really do have to buy the class sweatshirt and t-shirt as it becomes your PT uniform for CandiO phase. Perhaps in the summer they don't buy sweatshirts. That would lower the cost significantly. Many people bought class apparel as gifts for family so that made the average class gear order a little north of $100. Most people bought 4 or 5 class challenge coins at $10 a pop as well. Our class DIs and CPOs told us not to buy the cheap silver dollars. We listened to them, foolishly or not. I know everyone in my class spent about $60-100 on silver dollars. We were also "asked" to buy USMC drill instructor swag. That was another $50

Hi-Moms definitely varies a little more by class but it came out to something like $80 a head for us....definitely not under $10. This isn't something you can really fight either. Since the decision is made by the class as a whole, you might not agree with the choice but you just have to go with it. Just be prepared to have to pay more than you want.

I spent about as much as I made at OCS, and I wasn't the only one.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I was lucky in that the class pres/vp/whatever had a high percentage of married w/children people, so they were motivated to keep the cost down. That's how they arrived at using the Newport O-club for hi-mom's. We did have classes that spent as much as you detail. $10/head or family member might not be doable in other Newport restaurants but $80/head or family member is insane. If you're ordering T-shirts and sweatshirts that come in at over $20-30/each, you're doing it wrong. Yes, you CAN get more in gifts, but it's not mandatory.

Chances are you won't be the only one at OCS who doesn't want to spend an entire month's pay on these events. All you've gotta do is find those people and be vocal about it. My point is that the cost scares a lot of wannabes on this board; you don't HAVE to spend an exhorbitant amount of money on these things. In fact, you could easily do it all for under $100.

MGoBrew11

pilot
True. I outlined the above because when I left for OCS, I was expecting to spend more along the lines of what you highlighted. Just wanted to make people aware of what the cost MIGHT be. It is class dependent, like we said. If you can't afford to spend a lot, get on the Hi-Moms committee/T-shirt committee etc. and you can keep the cost down.

And yeah, $80 a head for Hi-Moms was absurd. As I hinted, not my choice. My class picked a pricey venue instead of the O-Club because it was a "once in a lifetime event". The experience probably would have been no different at the O-Club at a better price.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Admittedly, there was talk of that stuff. We had a prior who got enough people willing to boycott the event at too high of a high price.
They'll recognize you if you're the one cheapass who spent $2 on their "silver" dollar when everyone else in the class bought real silver.
Yea, I'm sure that GySgt XXX and Senior Chief YYY lose sleep every night thinking about ENS ZZZ's cheap coins.

Again, most DIs/CPOs sell their coins unless they have a further sentimental reason to keep them.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
[Again, most DIs/CPOs sell their coins unless they have a further sentimental reason to keep them.[/quote]

Don't know who you had but this isn't the case for "most" DI's at all. My DI made a shadow box for each class of his (7 total I believe) and had the back of each coin labeled with who gave it to him. He even put the inexpensive coins in there, just because it was another Officer he was proud to have trained, and was adamant that they would become family heirlooms of his time in service. I also know that he wasn't alone in doing that.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
And my DI went MIA around week six and porked female candidates. He also wasn't the only one who did this.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
And my DI went MIA around week six and porked female candidates. He also wasn't the only one who did this.

Spekkio, have any of your experiences in the Navy been positive? I mean it just seems like you always have a negative retort to anyones situation no matter what it is or where it originated.

I'm not getting on you for it, as you are welcome to your opinion, just stating what I've seen.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Spekkio, have any of your experiences in the Navy been positive? I mean it just seems like you always have a negative retort to anyones situation no matter what it is or where it originated.

I'm not getting on you for it, as you are welcome to your opinion, just stating what I've seen.
They have. Regarding OCS, my DI trained us well until he started going through a divorce about midway through our class. Life suck sometimes; however, it was highly disappointing to hear down the road that he, along with a couple others, were dipping their pens in company ink. He also had a candidate give him half-dollars and had no idea who it was (no, I'm not THAT cheap), so the idea that the DIs know who gave them that $30 one-of-a-kind coin or who skipped out is not always accurate. At the end of the day, the individual will do what he feels is right. I think if my DI were the type to keep his class coins as BCotroneo's did, then he probably also would've made a bigger deal about what to get, and I probably would've obliged. He wasn't, so I didn't.

Our hi-mom's party was actually well received by all, and no one had to break the bank for it. I'm not saying that to be negative, just to point out that you can reign in the cases where single guys think everyone can spend $240 on a dinner party for yourself and two parents. Once in a lifetime events don't need to be expensive to be enjoyable; a BBQ on a Newport beach in the summer could be just as fun and memorable as paying an exhorbitant amount to a catering hall (although careful with eating ribs in whites). Posts where wannabes worry about OCS bankrupting them for 3 months are frequent on these forums, and it's usually guys who have built up bills that come with having a family and generally living life. Having someone post "I spent as much as I made at OCS" doesn't help any (that's $6,369 in 2012 before taxes for someone who graduates on-time, 5413.65 after taxes if he is single, plus $1800 for uniform allowance).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I came into OCS with student loan debt and a car payment. On the plus side, once you start there you can use the SCRA go change your interest rates to 6% fixed. It's not a lot of pay for someone with debt, but if you know if going in, you can manage well. Oh, and you'll be spending exactly nil on extra shit (bars, eating out, gas, groceries), so that helps.

Is the global war on terrorism service medal authorized for prior service (USAFR) to wear in OCS? I seen folks in pictures with there medals on but I do not see it listed on "other service/awards list" OCS website.

USAF_WX2USN

Is the global war on terrorism service medal authorized for prior service (USAFR) to wear in OCS? I seen folks in pictures with there medals on but I do not see it listed on "other service/awards list" OCS website.

Yes. It's not an other service award, it's an all service award. Basically we can wear all our medals and unit ribbons. If you pm or email me your awards, I can tell you which ones will cross over. I have a list.

Yes. It's not an other service award, it's an all service award. Basically we can wear all our medals and unit ribbons. If you pm or email me your awards, I can tell you which ones will cross over. I have a list.

I figured it out I only have 4 ribbons/medals the only one that is no good AF training ribbon.

Rob McCurdy

Hey guys, I've been lurking here a few weeks and just got my account approved.
I'm 26 and was selected from the March board for NFO. I feel very fortunate.

I have several questions, I'll just throw them all out here.

My initial letter said July 14. A few days after I swore in, it got changed to April 21. I talked to my recruiter and he said the change was due to budget issues and if I chose to put in the paperwork to keep the july date, it's possible there won't be funding for that date (sequester). I'll take either date, but preferred July so I could be at 100%. Physically I feel I'm at only 50-60% of my potential. I can run a 11 min 1.5, but longer runs are tough for me.
Any thoughts or advice about that date getting canceled, and whether I should take April/ ask for July?

Would it be bad/weird if I had zero guests at the Hi-moms? Or will there be others?

At IFS, I fully expect to get motion sick. I have heard they have a contraption (SPAD?) they will put you in until you get over it. Is this true? Or do you just wash out if you get motion sick? I'll do whatever it takes and give 100% to overcome that.

Thanks for the insight.

Rob

Rob McCurdy

Didn't see an edit button so had to reply again.
Almost forgot the most important question.
At IFS/API, I'll need a personal apartment in Pensacola correct, does that mean I can bring my pet with me?