• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

yakboyslim

None
More to pile on here, I rolled twice. Once for something I had control over and once because of who my hatchmate was for RLP. You can't control it, most people roll for sickness which is totally beyond control. Just do your best to graduate from the 12, 15, 18... etc week program you are going through.

Just stay positive, and remember that most things at OCS won't matter once you leave, except that you completed. So stick with it. Also having been a person that rolled twice I can tell you that the "it isn't ok to roll" mindset (which is valid) often becomes a "people who roll are total dirtbags" mindset. Don't let it effect you, but also don't act like rolling makes you some form of OCS expert.

WEGL12

VT-28
I never said it was okay. I'm sorry but I find this to be horrible advice. WEGL12, do not go to OCS worrying about if your parents will make your graduation. OCS is 12 weeks long. Your parents and family members shouldn't be making plans when you are in Week 2. Family plans shouldn't even come into play until you are in Candio phase or once you pass the Out-PFA at least.

I agree with the above poster about being in shape, motivated, *try to stay healthy* although EVERYONE gets sick at one point because you're in close quarters w/ people and their germs from all over.

Bottom line: Bust your ass, work 110%, do not worry about your parents or trying to make a graduation date. I've watched that bite people in the ass. If you get rolled, don't sulk, feel sorry for yourself or anything like that. I NEVER said be okay with it....however I did say that if it does happen, it happens. Take it and do what you need to do to get back into class. The DIs will notice your efforts and be willing to put you back in if you work hard even in Holding company.

Thanks for the advice CUPike. That brings up another question. I knew you went into H-company if you rolled but what determines getting back into a class ( if you rolled for a non-medical issue)? I know your progress in terms of graduation stops but do you start back at week 1 or for example if you roll in week 6 you start back at week 3. I guess each situation is unique but just trying to get a general understanding of how the overall process works.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Thanks for the advice CUPike. That brings up another question. I knew you went into H-company if you rolled but what determines getting back into a class ( if you rolled for a non-medical issue)? I know your progress in terms of graduation stops but do you start back at week 1 or for example if you roll in week 6 you start back at week 3. I guess each situation is unique but just trying to get a general understanding of how the overall process works.

Short answer is as soon as the needs of the Navy allow you back into a class. But at this point I think you are nuking this. You'll be ok regardless.

WEGL12

VT-28
That makes sense, I am just over thinking the whole thing. I am not worried about it because I don't plan on rolling but if it happens I'll just push through it. My main focus is getting the gold bars. Thanks for the quick response.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Short answer is as soon as the needs of the Navy allow you back into a class. But at this point I think you are nuking this. You'll be ok regardless.

Just to add to that, this may have changed, but when I was at OCS (Jan 10 - Apr 10), if you rolled out in Week 4, you would wait until a class was back where you were and then you were integrated back into that class around that point.

I know many of the people in H-class had to pass another PFA in order to get out and class up again. It just proved that they were ready to jump back in the regiment.

Yakboyslim can jump in and clarify more.

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Should stuff I bring with me be labeled with my name?

Also, what's the general consensus on college transcripts? The OCS website doesn't list them on the list of what to bring, but the Guide to Success book from my recruiter does. And if I do need them, do I need them from all the schools I attended, or just the one where I received my degree (I sent in all of them with my application packet)?

Sonog

pilot
And you base this on what first hand experience?

If you actually sat down and asked H-class guys why they rolled, and then spoke with a current/former Class Officer, you would see why this is such bad gouge. Alot of guys by merit of things they have zero control over will roll if the class team wills it so and there is absolutely nothing they can do but embrace the suck. Telling people to avoid something that in many cases they can't fight is just going to drive them crazy and cause undue stress in an already stressful environment.

Just offering my opinion, based on what motivated me.

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
Also, is the Bachelors degree in professional Aeronautics from Embry riddle university considered a technical degree for OCS?
-Thanks

There was a pilot-select in my OCS class that went to Embry Riddle and a pilot-select that went to the University of Phoenix.

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
I have a quick question about OCS. Do most people graduate with the class they come in with or does a large percentage roll into later classes? I know getting rolled can be because of many reasons, I was just wondering if graduating with your original class includes the majority or not. I have read mixed reviews between this site and other articles on Google. I saw one article through Google that said almost everyone rolls and most people are there for over six months ( I know this isn't a true statement but it got me wondering). Thanks for the responses in advance.

Class 02-13 was split into two companies. My company lost 45% of the candidates in the first week. They either DOR'd or rolled into H class. Not one female made it through the first week of indoc- Wake up Wednesday and Outpost were very difficult. No one rolled after the first week, but we had a few people roll into our class after the class ahead of us went through RLP.
The other classes that came in while I was there had very few people roll throughout their time.
In short, it all depends on your class team.

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars

There is a new class every three weeks. If you roll out of week two, then you will join the new class when they hit week two. You'll hang out with H class while you wait for the next class to catch up to where you were. It changes as you progress in training. The candidates that rolled into our class rolled out of week week five and into week two. It was easy for them though because they had already been through it. They didn't have to worry about the academics portion that they already successfully completed. Their biggest worry was preparing for RLP again.

WEGL12

VT-28
Class 02-13 was split into two companies. My company lost 45% of the candidates in the first week. They either DOR'd or rolled into H class. Not one female made it through the first week of indoc- Wake up Wednesday and Outpost were very difficult. No one rolled after the first week, but we had a few people roll into our class after the class ahead of us went through RLP.
The other classes that came in while I was there had very few people roll throughout their time.
In short, it all depends on your class team.

I understand people DOR during the first week but how can so many people role into H class the first week? Is it just from not being physically prepared. Just surprised to hear such a large number for the first week. Either way I'll get to experience the joy of OCS in a few months.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I understand people DOR during the first week but how can so many people role into H class the first week? Is it just from not being physically prepared. Just surprised to hear such a large number for the first week. Either way I'll get to experience the joy of OCS in a few months.

Remember what I said earlier about thing you can't help and the will of the class team? Rolling individually or in mass isn't an objective process at all and can come from "powers that be."

You really are just going to psyche yourself out by over thinking it. Just pass.

WEGL12

VT-28
Remember what I said earlier about thing you can't help and the will of the class team? Rolling individually or in mass isn't an objective process at all and can come from "powers that be."

You really are just going to psyche yourself out by over thinking it. Just pass.

Good point. I wish I could just go ahead and go to OCS and get it over with. It's going to suck regardless but just ready for it to be over.

KBayDog

It's going to suck regardless but just ready for it to be over.

Yes, it's going to suck, but it could be worse: You could be doing OCS in Quantico.

chopper-thumb-250x323.jpg

exNavyOffRec

Very few people actually DOR, when I saw the stats for FY12 I was surprised at how low it was, if I remember correctly more are discharged for previously unfound medical issues, and that itself is very low.