• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
Hello Shipmates;) , I just have a question about the "Bachelors of General Studies" degree.
Is this an approved type of degree to receive a commission in the Navy or any other branch of service ?

BDfan88

This thread is over 8 years old! Just finished reading through it... Been referring to it for the last couple weeks. Learned some good stuff, and basically got the impression that I should prepare myself to be miserable and play the game that is Navy OCS. One thing is for sure though; I will probably buy some good crew socks. :) Anyway I should be hearing if I've been Pro-rec'd by this upcoming SNA/NFO board in a couple weeks.

My only stupid question that I did not see addressed in this thread is the following:

My medical records sent to meps by my OR were minimal. Basically documentation from two surgeries that didn't even end up needing a waiver to be qualified by MEPS, and for my PQ letter to be submitted. Is this going to be a problem when I show up to OCS and there is a more stringent flight physical and I have little to no medical records?

Also, it it possible for the NAMI docs to still have a problem with an operation that MEPS cleared? It was a foot operation from more than ten years ago.
I want to know the answer to this as well. I have pretty much no medical records.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
The lack of a medical record will not be a problem - if you supplied all of your documentation to MEPS and the stack isn't very large its just less paperwork for the flight surgeons to look through. They won't pull you aside and say "Candidate, this file is clearly missing another 20 pages, what are you trying to hide?!"

However, it is possible that NAMI will revisit issues that MEPS has previously cleared. MEPS doesn't give flight physicals, they give the most basic "are you fit to serve in any capacity" exams. Flight physicals are much more detailed and you can be NPQ'ed for plenty of things that MEPS doesn't screen for. If you had a surgery, were cleared with no problems by your civilian doc, and have no lasting effects, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are they will ask you a question about it and move on.

WilliamC

SNA API Current
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. Just don't want to worry about getting hung up needlessly at NAMI. Appreciate your input.

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
Hello guys! just wondering if anybody here had any commercial rating or higher prior to applying as a pilot or navigator in the navy ?
Did it help a lot during your your Navy flight training?
Also, is the Bachelors degree in professional Aeronautics from Embry riddle university considered a technical degree for OCS?
I am currently finishing up an AAS(Professional Pilot) degree from a community college but i don't know if that would be taken into consideration to consider my 4-year degree technical...
-Thanks

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
Hello guys! just wondering if anybody here had any commercial rating or higher prior to applying as a pilot or navigator in the navy ?
Did it help a lot during your your Navy flight training?
Also, is the Bachelors degree in professional Aeronautics from Embry riddle university considered a technical degree for OCS?
I am currently finishing up an AAS(Professional Pilot) degree from a community college but i don't know if that would be taken into consideration to consider my 4-year degree technical...
-Thanks

I have a degree in Aeronautical Science from ERAU (aeronautics with ERAU flight training) and got a PROREC. To my knowledge, a degree is a degree as far as the Navy is concerned. As long as it's a 4 year Bachelor's from an accredited program, you're OK. It is USELESS for programs such as test-pilot or astronaut, though at least with test piloting, you can have some of the required courses (calc and physics) and still be somewhat eligible.

I'll tell you from working as a part 135 airline pilot, nobody has ever cared that my degree was in Aeronautical Science or that it was from Embry Riddle. In some phone interviews, the first thing that was mentioned is that I'm lucky to have scored a degree having gone through ERAU flight training, which to my opinion (and theirs), does not emphasize airmanship. It emphasizes heavy jet style flying over basic flying techniques.

I work in places saturated by ERAU graduates who are in charge of hiring. I did not get hired on the basis of my degree but rather the needs of the company. I would not have been hired by the current company I work for if one guy hadn't quit. There was a person in my ground school that had fewer hours than me and no degree that was higher in priority to keep. The only benefit of the degree is that the ground school you will take is usually easier for you than it is for the other new hires. It is a useless degree outside of organizations that require a degree for the sake of it or for competitiveness in some airline applications. Luckily for you and me, the Navy accepts it.

WEGL12

VT-28
I have a quick question about OCS. Do most people graduate with the class they come in with or does a large percentage roll into later classes? I know getting rolled can be because of many reasons, I was just wondering if graduating with your original class includes the majority or not. I have read mixed reviews between this site and other articles on Google. I saw one article through Google that said almost everyone rolls and most people are there for over six months ( I know this isn't a true statement but it got me wondering). Thanks for the responses in advance.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I have a quick question about OCS. Do most people graduate with the class they come in with or does a large percentage roll into later classes? I know getting rolled can be because of many reasons, I was just wondering if graduating with your original class includes the majority or not. I have read mixed reviews between this site and other articles on Google. I saw one article through Google that said almost everyone rolls and most people are there for over six months ( I know this isn't a true statement but it got me wondering). Thanks for the responses in advance.

It depends. There's no fixed number. I graduated with my original class. I know many who did not obviously. Many people who roll into another class bring knowledge and experience to the "game" as they have seen it all and know what to do to NOT piss off the DIs every second of the day.

Getting rolled is no big deal. You might get rolled in flight school for stuff too. Same thing....it doesnt matter as long as you finish. Getting rolled has no effect on your commission so don't worry about it. If you roll, suck it up, keep a good attitude and bust your ass to get back with your class and finish.

It changes from class to class though so no one can say "60% of people graduate w/ their class."

Sonog

pilot
I'd say no more than 20-25% roll is a good generalization. If you're healthy, motivated, and in shape you probably won't roll. Rolling was my biggest fear at OCS and I never came close. Probably helped keep me motivated though. Just because a lot of people roll also doesn't mean its okay. Think about family making plans to be at your graduation on a certain date.

TL;DR Its not the end of the world, but it still sucks.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Probably helped keep me motivated though. Just because a lot of people roll also doesn't mean its okay. Think about family making plans to be at your graduation on a certain date.

I never said it was okay. I'm sorry but I find this to be horrible advice. WEGL12, do not go to OCS worrying about if your parents will make your graduation. OCS is 12 weeks long. Your parents and family members shouldn't be making plans when you are in Week 2. Family plans shouldn't even come into play until you are in Candio phase or once you pass the Out-PFA at least.

I agree with the above poster about being in shape, motivated, *try to stay healthy* although EVERYONE gets sick at one point because you're in close quarters w/ people and their germs from all over.

Bottom line: Bust your ass, work 110%, do not worry about your parents or trying to make a graduation date. I've watched that bite people in the ass. If you get rolled, don't sulk, feel sorry for yourself or anything like that. I NEVER said be okay with it....however I did say that if it does happen, it happens. Take it and do what you need to do to get back into class. The DIs will notice your efforts and be willing to put you back in if you work hard even in Holding company.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'd say no more than 20-25% roll is a good generalization. If you're healthy, motivated, and in shape you probably won't roll. Rolling was my biggest fear at OCS and I never came close. Probably helped keep me motivated though. Just because a lot of people roll also doesn't mean its okay. Think about family making plans to be at your graduation on a certain date.

TL;DR Its not the end of the world, but it still sucks.

And you base this on what first hand experience?

If you actually sat down and asked H-class guys why they rolled, and then spoke with a current/former Class Officer, you would see why this is such bad gouge. Alot of guys by merit of things they have zero control over will roll if the class team wills it so and there is absolutely nothing they can do but embrace the suck. Telling people to avoid something that in many cases they can't fight is just going to drive them crazy and cause undue stress in an already stressful environment.