• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

BackOrdered

Contributor
I can see that. My DI pretty much left us alone in our own P-way (other than making us hurricane ourselves a few times in the first week or 2 or coming to yell at us during that time frame) and even in chow for the most part. He was absolutely vicious whenever we were with him though, but at least we did not have to put up with it when we were eating and in our living quarters. We also never really got any demerits; he preferred to annihilate us on the spot, usually as a group.

Did your room inspections force you to open up the lockers? I am guessing if my class had that happen it would have gone very badly for a lot of us.

The DIs don't wreck you during chow anymore? Lame......

atlas359

How did he get caught? I always wore after indoc week. Wakeup wednesday I would definitely not recommend having them on, but other than that I do not see how anyone would know. I would also recommend having a manual razor on wakeup weds, because I was about 2 ft from my DI when I broke out the electric and the look on his face was almost priceless. Thankfully someone else had some extra disposables or that probably would not have ended well (they let us bring in electrics, so I took the manual out of my hygiene kit, but that was the only time it was ever an issue).

The only reason I'm pressing the issue here is simply because I would prefer to wear boxer briefs for running (less chafing - I'm sure you can imagine). At the same time, though, I don't want to be so selfish I get my class in trouble.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
The DIs don't wreck you during chow anymore? Lame......
It depends on the class, and even then it is mostly just screaming at you. We definitely did get messed with a lot the first few weeks, but not too much eating by the numbers, more getting beat right before chow (stuffed in the cookie jar especially...the SUYA was closed for the first month at least, so we got a lot of quality cookie jar and rose garden time instead), or having to go in and out of chow hall over and over. When we actually got around to eating though, we were mostly left alone by the DIs. We were on liaisons until RLP though, and they messed with us a lot, especially the first 2-3 weeks. I had probably the toughest DI there (maybe one or two others on or near the same level), so did not exactly get lucky (the class behind us did, however). We also got practically no food privileges and when peanut butter and cereal were given after getting the drill streamer it was turned into a competition which ended up with my squad not getting them until about 3 weeks after the initial squad got them in week 5. My DI also implemented a new 4.3 mile route for run days from the old 2.7 mile.

The only reason I'm pressing the issue here is simply because I would prefer to wear boxer briefs for running (less chafing - I'm sure you can imagine). At the same time, though, I don't want to be so selfish I get my class in trouble.

I know at least 5 guys (including myself) who wore them. None of us got in trouble. That does not mean you will not though. It also says no electric razors on the website, and I know my class team allowed them, as well as the class team whose class we indoc'd, so ymmv.

atlas359

It depends on the class, and even then it is mostly just screaming at you. We definitely did get messed with a lot the first few weeks, but not too much eating by the numbers, more getting beat right before chow (stuffed in the cookie jar especially...the SUYA was closed for the first month at least, so we got a lot of quality cookie jar and rose garden time instead), or having to go in and out of chow hall over and over. When we actually got around to eating though, we were mostly left alone by the DIs. We were on liaisons until RLP though, and they messed with us a lot, especially the first 2-3 weeks. I had probably the toughest DI there (maybe one or two others on or near the same level), so did not exactly get lucky (the class behind us did, however). We also got practically no food privileges and when peanut butter and cereal were given after getting the drill streamer it was turned into a competition which ended up with my squad not getting them until about 3 weeks after the initial squad got them in week 5. My DI also implemented a new 4.3 mile route for run days from the old 2.7 mile.

I know at least 5 guys (including myself) who wore them. None of us got in trouble. That does not mean you will not though. It also says no electric razors on the website, and I know my class team allowed them, as well as the class team whose class we indoc'd, so ymmv.

Maybe I'll bring briefs for Indoc week, and then briefs for after that. Again, my only concern is the running bit.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Did your room inspections force you to open up the lockers? I am guessing if my class had that happen it would have gone very badly for a lot of us.
We had room inspections with lockers opened and as well as closed.

For the dude worried about the chafe, don't worry about it. There's something about newport that just makes small stuff like that work out. Maybe it's the DI's. For instance, I was worried I'd get blisters. Never happened. Now, I nearly got shin splints, but that's different.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
I had the same concern. Keep in mind that Navy PT shorts have a built in liner - problem never materialized for me.

atlas359

We had room inspections with lockers opened and as well as closed.

For the dude worried about the chafe, don't worry about it. There's something about newport that just makes small stuff like that work out. Maybe it's the DI's. For instance, I was worried I'd get blisters. Never happened. Now, I nearly got shin splints, but that's different.

Thanks for the advice; I'll certainly keep that in mind. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my running issue.

atlas359

Just heard back from OCS yesterday. Boxer briefs are approved on all accounts.

That sounds good. From where did you hear exactly? Was is the official OCS website?

Another question regarding shoes: I've heard to bring two pair, one that you actually wear and use for PT/drill, and another that you keep clean for RLP. Is this common practice? If so, does it matter what the second pair of shoes is?

That brings up another question: are you drilling in boots or PT shoes that I've seen in so many photos? Also, does anyone have any input on shoe insoles (as in, are they allowed or will that get my class in trouble)?

BUDU

It's pretty common practice. One guy in my class bought a cheap-ass pair of white old man sneakers for RLP. DI inspecting him had fun.

"You actually wear those?"
"No, sir!"
"You bought them just for this inspection?"
"Yes, sir!"
"How much were they?"
"$40, sir!"
"You spent $40 on two points?"
"Yes sir!"

DI grunted and kept tearing the room apart.

You will end up needing a second pair of shoes. Mine were a mess by the end of the fourth week from all the sand pits and I got another pair mailed to me. As for insoles, my entire class had them. It's class team specific unless the podiatrist gives you your own insoles on Monday. Didn't stop me from putting heel cushions in my boots for standing watch.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
You should definitely get a pair of these for RLP, or better yet, just general purpose PT shoes. I can only imagine the priceless moments that would come of it. One guy in my class had them but did not break them out until right before victory run (they were in his car before that). Unfortunately they are like $120.

asics-gel-noosa-tri-6-4.jpg

atlas359

You should definitely get a pair of these for RLP, or better yet, just general purpose PT shoes. I can only imagine the priceless moments that would come of it. One guy in my class had them but did not break them out until right before victory run (they were in his car before that). Unfortunately they are like $120.

asics-gel-noosa-tri-6-4.jpg

I'll keep these in mind, thanks for the tip!

cBoehme

Pro Rec SWO July 2012
That sounds good. From where did you hear exactly? Was is the official OCS website?

Another question regarding shoes: I've heard to bring two pair, one that you actually wear and use for PT/drill, and another that you keep clean for RLP. Is this common practice? If so, does it matter what the second pair of shoes is?

That brings up another question: are you drilling in boots or PT shoes that I've seen in so many photos? Also, does anyone have any input on shoe insoles (as in, are they allowed or will that get my class in trouble)?
I sent off an email to Navy OCS and got a response back the next day.

jleex88

Supply Corps
I remember reading a related topic somewhere on this forum, but couldn't find it...does anyone know the restrictions on travelling if you have a future ocs date? my recruiter doesn't pick up his phone often so i wanted to ask here first.

I'm planning on possibly spending a few months in Brazil to train in jiu jitsu, but am waiting to receive an ocs date before going.

Thanks in advance.