• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

jtmedli

pilot
Uh, no they won't. I brought my immunization records and only had to get 3 shots plus the flu shot. Others? No so much.

If it's something relevant to your medical file, bring it. If it's your kiddy medical records saying you saw a doctor once a year...yeah...not that important. The x-rays for my arm breaking as a kid weren't on file, I just had the supervisor write a quick letter saying they weren't available anymore. Still in my medical record...

Everyone in my class got everything. It's only 4-5 shots total. Shitty part is they do it right before RLP if I remember correctly.

shutout39

pilot
Everyone in my class got everything. It's only 4-5 shots total. Shitty part is they do it right before RLP if I remember correctly.
You remember correctly. They do the inactive dose Wednesday, RLP Thursday, live dose Friday, mid-PFA Saturday, drill competition Monday. Its a fun week! The good news is mid-PFA and drill comp are not roll-able, so just get thru RLP and don't die from the live bacteria they are shooting directly into your bloodstream and you'll be alright. Sea Power is the academic course going on throughout all of that and its pretty darn easy, and kind of a welcome break from DIs and RLP prep.

atlas359

absolutely bring your own gear. get quality athletic socks, white and dark navy blue undershirts, and even though they say its supposed to be plain cotton you could even get away with briefs that have some more comfortable fabric in them (lycra, polyester or whatever). IMO Jockey is the most comfortable stuff and although its a big pricey, the comfort and fit factor will be well worth it. They are gonna issue you cheap crap as well as a whole toiletry bag of pit stick, edge shave cream, foot powder, toothbrush, etc. USE NONE OF IT. It needs to be in brand new condition for your locker inspection during RLP. Just lock it all away for the first three weeks of OCS.

Quality black boot socks and some arched work insoles/orthotics are money too... the standard issue black boots played hell on my feet and legs. Basically whatever you think you'll need to make long days and lots of marching and walking around as comfortable as possible AND is discreet, do it.

Yes, thank you for the information. If I might confirm, are boxer-briefs accepted at OCS then? I've read mixed reviews concerning, and don't want to bring 14 pairs of underwear that I can't wear. Also, concerning glasses and such, I've read around that if you can seemingly get by without your glasses, and with just squinting a bit, is this true? I do need glasses if I sit at the back of a classroom, but I would really like to avoid wearing them all the time (especially for PT) if I can avoid. Can anyone chime in on this?

jtmedli

pilot
Yes, thank you for the information. If I might confirm, are boxer-briefs accepted at OCS then? I've read mixed reviews concerning, and don't want to bring 14 pairs of underwear that I can't wear. Also, concerning glasses and such, I've read around that if you can seemingly get by without your glasses, and with just squinting a bit, is this true? I do need glasses if I sit at the back of a classroom, but I would really like to avoid wearing them all the time (especially for PT) if I can avoid. Can anyone chime in on this?

Boxer Briefs are not approved. My class got destroyed one morning because one guy was wearing those compression shorts/boxer brief things. We were proly gonna get destroyed anyways, but still...dont be THAT GUY.

They'll make you wear glasses if you are prescribed them. It's a liability thing for them.

atlas359

Boxer Briefs are not approved. My class got destroyed one morning because one guy was wearing those compression shorts/boxer brief things. We were proly gonna get destroyed anyways, but still...dont be THAT GUY.

They'll make you wear glasses if you are prescribed them. It's a liability thing for them.

Good information; thank you very much. One follow-up question regarding the glasses: do they make you wear them during morning PT?

jtmedli

pilot
Good information; thank you very much. One follow-up question regarding the glasses: do they make you wear them during morning PT?

Yup. Especially during PT. Gotta see those potholes. Hell, I didnt even need glasses and still almost broke my ankle in one of those things.

BUDU

Same. They said I could opt out of wearing glasses unless I thought I needed them (my vision is like 20/25) but there were times running warmup around the field that I really wished I had them.

exNavyOffRec

Uh, no they won't. I brought my immunization records and only had to get 3 shots plus the flu shot. Others? No so much.

If it's something relevant to your medical file, bring it. If it's your kiddy medical records saying you saw a doctor once a year...yeah...not that important. The x-rays for my arm breaking as a kid weren't on file, I just had the supervisor write a quick letter saying they weren't available anymore. Still in my medical record...

FYI, if a person brings something that wasn't previously submitted to MEPS that could lead to bad times, the OR/Processor will send all pertinent medical records.

atlas359

Same. They said I could opt out of wearing glasses unless I thought I needed them (my vision is like 20/25) but there were times running warmup around the field that I really wished I had them.

Thank you all for the input; I do really appreciate it. Glasses and briefs it is, then!

egd33

pilot
Contributor

How did he get caught? I always wore after indoc week. Wakeup wednesday I would definitely not recommend having them on, but other than that I do not see how anyone would know. I would also recommend having a manual razor on wakeup weds, because I was about 2 ft from my DI when I broke out the electric and the look on his face was almost priceless. Thankfully someone else had some extra disposables or that probably would not have ended well (they let us bring in electrics, so I took the manual out of my hygiene kit, but that was the only time it was ever an issue).

Foxtrot20

Thanks for all the previous info, guys. I've got a question about the swim test at OCS. Do they demonstrate how to inflate trousers/shirt and the prone float before they test you on it? How many tries do you get to pass? I'm pretty comfortable in the water and know how to do those things in theory, but there hasn't been a time where I've had to do it for real. Any thoughts?

jtmedli

pilot
How did he get caught? I always wore after indoc week. Wakeup wednesday I would definitely not recommend having them on, but other than that I do not see how anyone would know. I would also recommend having a manual razor on wakeup weds, because I was about 2 ft from my DI when I broke out the electric and the look on his face was almost priceless. Thankfully someone else had some extra disposables or that probably would not have ended well (they let us bring in electrics, so I took the manual out of my hygiene kit, but that was the only time it was ever an issue).

During PT, the DIs saw them.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
This. It's the game they play (you can't really win, but you can do your best not to lose all the time). Yeah, you shouldn't wear boxers, but I knew a few people that managed it because at some point they'd have to do laundry. Now, whether your D.I. will let you get away with it is a whole different matter entirely (we had several room inspections and at one point a DI helping out ours found a wallet that wasn't under lock and key<<< that got attention).

egd33

pilot
Contributor
This. It's the game they play (you can't really win, but you can do your best not to lose all the time). Yeah, you shouldn't wear boxers, but I knew a few people that managed it because at some point they'd have to do laundry. Now, whether your D.I. will let you get away with it is a whole different matter entirely (we had several room inspections and at one point a DI helping out ours found a wallet that wasn't under lock and key<<< that got attention).

I can see that. My DI pretty much left us alone in our own P-way (other than making us hurricane ourselves a few times in the first week or 2 or coming to yell at us during that time frame) and even in chow for the most part. He was absolutely vicious whenever we were with him though, but at least we did not have to put up with it when we were eating and in our living quarters. We also never really got any demerits; he preferred to annihilate us on the spot, usually as a group.

Did your room inspections force you to open up the lockers? I am guessing if my class had that happen it would have gone very badly for a lot of us.